Does anyone know what type of effects, distortion, etc. Jimmy Page uses in the solo to black dog?

Also does anyone know how to get a tone similar to the solos in communication breakdown, whole lotta love, the ocean (first guitar solo), and a bunch more solos with that similar tone.

Thanks in advance
"I wanna see movies of my dreams"
I asked this question a while ago, and I think what you're looking for might be an overdrive pedal, but Page used a lot of different tones, so don't take my word for it.
Communication Breakdown's solo is through a wah pedal pushed all the way down.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
-SD "Pearly Gates" bridge pickup
-50's style wiring
Digitech RP150
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 Linear Power Booster
Peavey Windsor Studio

= My amp on crack
Quote by Vasser
I asked this question a while ago, and I think what you're looking for might be an overdrive pedal, but Page used a lot of different tones, so don't take my word for it.

Ok thanks... I already have an overdrive pedal, so do you have any suggestions to how much drive and other settings i should use for it.

And i know that Page used many tones; but the ones im looking for is the black dog solo tone, and his trebly sort of solo tones like wholle lotta love, communication breakdown, and the ocean
Quote by CutlassSupreme
Communication Breakdown's solo is through a wah pedal pushed all the way down.

Actually, that worked well when I tried it with the Whole Lotta Love solo, maybe you can try that.
Not sure about the Black Dog solo. Sounds like there he might have a Leslie going for sure. Little proof of what amps where used during the LZIV sessions. The riff is involves two compressor pedals straight into the mixing board.

Communication Breakdown is just the cranked Supro, turn the wah on for the solo. The VJ should do fairly well.

Whole Lotta Love is a Vox Super Beatle (according to Page). Has a built in fuzz based off a silicon fuzz face.

Try out of phase pickups for the Ocean solo or a half cocked wah. If it is out of phase like I think, he's using a Tele for it.

Any other songs?

Other Page threads if you're interested: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473098&highlight=zeppelin

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=757757&highlight=jimmy+page
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
Not sure about the Black Dog solo. Sounds like there he might have a Leslie going for sure. Little proof of what amps where used during the LZIV sessions. The riff is involves two compressor pedals straight into the mixing board.

Communication Breakdown is just the cranked Supro, turn the wah on for the solo. The VJ should do fairly well.

Whole Lotta Love is a Vox Super Beatle (according to Page). Has a built in fuzz based off a silicon fuzz face.

Try out of phase pickups for the Ocean solo. If it is out of phase like I think, he's using a Tele for it.

Any other songs? :P

Haha. since you seem like an expert. do you have any suggestions for the tone in The Lemon Song (rythym part and solo.)
Ah one of my favs. That's another song supposedly done on the Super Beatle. The Super Beatle has a feature called MRB (Mid Range Boost) which gives it a nasally tone, that's why that riff sounds that way. Try it on the bridge pickup, but with the tone rolled down some. You'll need to push the amp rather hard to get that light fuzziness to it. Roll the tone back up for the riff right before the solo and for the solo. Experiment on the bridge and the neck pickup or the middle position after the "squeeze my lemon" parts.

Like he'll do this riff on the bridge:

|-------------12----|------------------------------------------------------|
|----------12----15-|-12------------------------------------15-------------|
|----14b16----------|----14b16r(14)p12-14----12----12-14b16----14-(14)b16==|
|-------------------|---------------------14----14-------------------------|
|-------------------|------------------------------------------------------|

and then he'll switch to the neck neck for this riff. Listen closely and you'll hear it.

|--------------------------------------------------|
|---------9------9-9----9-9----9-9h11-9----9-11b13r|
|----9h11---11-------11-----11----------11---------|

|--------------------------------------------|
|-(11)p9-11-9----11b13==(11)r(11)p9-11-9-----|
|-------------11-------------------------11--|

Last edited by Whole Lotta Led at Jun 8, 2008,
You're gonna need a Digitech Death Metal, a phaser of your choice, and a POG dialed into the organ sound.

Who's Jimmy Page?

GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
Ah one of my favs. That's another song supposedly done on the Super Beatle. The Super Beatle has a feature called MRB (Mid Range Boost) which gives it a nasally tone, that's why that riff sounds that way. Try it on the bridge pickup, but with the tone rolled down some. You'll need to push the amp rather hard to get that light fuzziness to it. Roll the tone back up for the riff right before the solo and for the solo. Experiment on the bridge and the neck pickup or the middle position after the "squeeze my lemon" parts.

Like he'll do this riff on the bridge:

|-------------12----|------------------------------------------------------|
|----------12----15-|-12------------------------------------15-------------|
|----14b16----------|----14b16r(14)p12-14----12----12-14b16----14-(14)b16==|
|-------------------|---------------------14----14-------------------------|

and then he'll switch to the neck neck for this riff. Listen closely and you'll hear it.

|---------9------9-9----9-9----9-9h11-9----9-11b13r|
|----9h11---11-------11-----11----------11---------|

|-(11)p9-11-9----11b13==(11)r(11)p9-11-9-----|
|-------------11-------------------------11--|

Wow! Thanks for all your great help.
i don't know what he used in black dog but i know in Whole Lotta Love he didn't use a pedal push thing or a vox beatle. JIMMY PAGE USED A THEREMIN. it uses electricity to produce sound. go look it up for real on 'rock and roll acid test'. geez, you guys better not think you're the ultimate zeppelin fans. any of you.
Quote by Underjoggle
You're gonna need a Digitech Death Metal, a phaser of your choice, and a POG dialed into the organ sound.

Who's Jimmy Page?

who's ....... jimmy........ page......??!!!!!!

only one of the best guitarrists evah. led zeppelin man. don't you have any idea what you're talking about?
Quote by fendergirl007
i don't know what he used in black dog but i know in Whole Lotta Love he didn't use a pedal push thing or a vox beatle. JIMMY PAGE USED A THEREMIN. it uses electricity to produce sound. go look it up for real on 'rock and roll acid test'. geez, you guys better not think you're the ultimate zeppelin fans. any of you.

The theremin was only for the...well, theremin noises, there's still a guitar solo in there, I'm guessing he used a Mayer Fuzz in there too.

I must get myself a theremin, they make great cat toys
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by fendergirl007
who's ....... jimmy........ page......??!!!!!!

only one of the best guitarrists evah. led zeppelin man. don't you have any idea what you're talking about?

You missed that sarcasm by a mile.
Quote by fendergirl007

Excuse me?

Page has mentioned at least twice the use of a Vox Super Beatle for Whole Lotta Love and majority of LZII. Learn what a theremin actually is before you make stupid comments.
Amps He Used:
Supro amp on most of early led zeppelin, Marshall 1959slp Plexi was his main amp, and some others
Just play a Gibson Les Paul on the Bridge Pup with a plexi cranked.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American 52 Telecaster RI
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
Orange Cabinets
I'm sitting here eagerly waiting to see if fendergirl comes back to defend herself
crazy talking animals