i hav an old strat.. it's body sound is pretty good.. recently i got a pair of 81-85 from my friend (for free :P ) .. he's buying zack wyld 81-85 .. so ud dis pair suit my squire guitar?i m going to short da middle pickup and put da 85 at bridge and da 81 at neck position.. then put a 3 way switch .. ud dat work well? or should i try n buy steve lukarthur's prewired EMG SLV/SLV/85 pickguard ?

btw.. i don wana kill my squire's strat "feel", if u kno wat i mean.. ud emg's giv a good response for clean tone's as well?
God damn it. Don't ever use "da". It's not worth it upgrading pick ups in a squire strat and it'd help to know what kind of amp you have. Btw, google grammar, something nice will pop up.

Edit: Squire strats are routed to SSS aren't they? You'd have to reroute it to H-H configuration...
Last edited by |Marco| at Jun 7, 2008,
You are most definitely one of the wost spellers I have ever seen on this site
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Custom ESP Explorer (in the making!)
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop Crybaby, Deltalab Md-1, rd 1, Morley optical Volume
YEP. worst UG speller I've seen, and the grammar is terrible too.

Anyway, in short no.
Buy a decent guitar and put those metal machines to use.

Long version: Please do some research about, well, about guitar body types, as well as wiring. Some very simple searching would do you well.
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
Quote by aperfectenemy
i hav an old strat.. it's body sound is pretty good.. recently i got a pair of 81-85 from my friend (for free :P ) .. he's buying zack wyld 81-85 .. so ud dis pair suit my squire guitar?i m going to short da middle pickup and put da 85 at bridge and da 81 at neck position.. then put a 3 way switch .. ud dat work well? or should i try n buy steve lukarthur's prewired EMG SLV/SLV/85 pickguard ?

btw.. i don wana kill my squire's strat "feel", if u kno wat i mean.. ud emg's giv a good response for clean tone's as well?

Is there any difference at all between normal 81-85s and the Zakk Wylde set?

But yes, there wouldn't really be much virtue in putting them in a Squier, you'd get much more value from them in a better guitar. But I suppose, if you got them for free, if you can do it, there's no reason why you shouldn't.

Oh, and I thought they were routed for HSH, but I could be wrong. Two of my mate's are routed for humbuckers in the neck and bridge, at any rate.
Quote by snot_foster25
Is there any difference at all between normal 81-85s and the Zakk Wylde set?

In short? No.
"there is no spoone" - The Matricks
There is a difference. I think there was a collectors guitar pic and some sort of small fold out poster. But would seem pointless to give away a set of 81/85s to buy a new set of 81/85s. But TS if they are free and you play alot of heavy metal then yea they should fit with no problems. But if your using a SS amp or trying to play cleans then no wouldnt be very wise. The internet and text messaging has just destroyed many peoples ability to communicate in a normal manner. Or have we become so lazy that even 4 letter words need to be shortened.
Quote by |Marco|
God damn it. Don't ever use "da". It's not worth it upgrading pick ups in a squire strat and it'd help to know what kind of amp you have. Btw, google grammar, something nice will pop up.

Edit: Squire strats are routed to SSS aren't they? You'd have to reroute it to H-H configuration...

actually, all of the squires i have taken apart are routed for HSH or just have a gaping hole for HHH if u wanna.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by bjovi400
actually, all of the squires i have taken apart are routed for HSH or just have a gaping hole for HHH if u wanna.

you mean a pool route?
thats not HHH dude
Quote by Recondite Blue
you mean a pool route?
thats not HHH dude

lol yeah thats the one.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
NEVER AGAIN suggest putting good pups in a squier. and EMGs suck at cleans fyi. and the 85 is neck, 81 is bridge, not the other way around. and take an english class.

EDIT: oh and btw, whos zack wyld? i know of a "zakk wylde", but never a zack wyld.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Last edited by AngusJimiKeith at Jun 8, 2008,
Quote by Underjoggle
No, EMGs suck warty ass for clean tones.

EMG's dont suck warty ass for cleans u retard, sure they're high output, but u can get really great warm clean tones,
The only thing warm and clean is a warty ass after being sucked because someone used EMGs for clean tones.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by souls_of_black
EMG's dont suck warty ass for cleans u retard, sure they're high output, but u can get really great warm clean tones,

On the contrary, I don't think EMGs have good warm tones. I find them sterile and bland. But that's my opinion, which is quite valid. The only thing is that with tone, EVERYTHING is subjective. So what you might find warm, I might find cold.

My suggestion is to test out a guitar with EMGs first.
"there is no spoone" - The Matricks
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
NEVER AGAIN suggest putting good pups in a squier. and EMGs suck at cleans fyi. and the 85 is neck, 81 is bridge, not the other way around. and take an english class.

Lots of people find them to sound better the other way around. And with actives the body wood doesn't matter as much as with passive pickups. Also, please learn to use capitals before you start criticizing someone's spelling.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by buzzcut
You are most definitely one of the wost spellers I have ever seen on this site

he's worse than me lol

since no-one else asked him

what type squier strat do u have?
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Last edited by Vampire 255 at Jun 9, 2008,
roflcopter
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Not really worth it when the P-Ups with be more expensive than the guitar
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Not really worth it when the P-Ups will be more expensive than the guitar

he got the EMGs for free
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Quote by aperfectenemy
I have an old strat. Its body sound is pretty good and recently I got a pair of EMG 81-85 from my friend (for free :P ) because he's buying the Zack Wylde 81-85 set. So would THIS pair suit my Squier guitar? I'm going to short THE middle pickup and put THE 85 at the bridge and THE 81 at the neck position, then put in a 3 way switch. Would THAT work well? Or should I buy Steve Lukather's prewired EMG SLV/SLV/85 pickguard?

BTW, I don't want to kill my Squier's strat "feel", if you know what I mean. Would EMGs give a good response for clean tones as well?

Sorry, had to be done!

They're freebies, can't hurt to try. And it'll sound like an EMG equipped guitar whether your body is made out of Cocobolo or MDF.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
More to the point, why is your friend replacing them - does he not realise that the ZW set is exactly the same pickups?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
TS, if you have a proper Alder bodied squire, I really don't see why not. Whole point of a cheap beater strat is that you can experiment with it. If you don't know what the deal is with your pup routing, pop the scratch plate off and have a look.

If it looks like this, that's not so good, you'll have to hack away some wood to fit the humbuckers. Not that that's a problem on a squire, it's not like you're devaluing a vintage Fender.

If you've got something like this,

or this
Then you're sweet. Now go and find a JCM800 to run it into.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Wow… you guys are pretty stern about grammar and spelling. LMAO (laughing my ass off)! Well, I am not an indigenous English speaker and I affably apologize for my spelling mistakes and shortcuts to all your respected grammar geeks 8). Didn’t comprehend that it’s strictly illicit to use IM-like shortcut words in the ULTIMATE-GRAMMAR forum :P

Anyways thanks to all of you for your priceless (!) posts.

Gears: Ibanez JEM7V Steve Vai Signature Electric Guitar, Yamaha AES1500 Semi-Hollow Body Electric Guitar, Line 6 spider III, POD X3live, Morley Wah, Ibanez tube-screamer, Marshall MG250DFX Stereo Combo Amp and a squier strat.

The squier strat is my first guitar. I got it when I was 13. And I was just thinking about doing a little modification to it.
Last edited by aperfectenemy at Jun 9, 2008,
Quote by Green_Jelly
Lots of people find them to sound better the other way around. And with actives the body wood doesn't matter as much as with passive pickups. Also, please learn to use capitals before you start criticizing someone's spelling.

At least i didnt fail English class. Oh, and I'm able to spell correctly.

TS, You can try the EMG's if you would like considering that they are free. Tell your friend that he wasted his money because the Zakk Wylde set is exactly the same as the standard set except for the included guitar pick.

Was that good enough? You guys are more picky than my friend's grandmother who still uses '****' for 'chicken' and 'pussy' for 'cat'.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
i have never used 81's and/ or 85s, but just out of curiosity - why not put them in, see if it works and then if it doesn't - take them out again. it isn't difficult, and then you'll find out for sure. also - most peoples opinion of squiers is tainted by the fact that they had one when they couldn't play and had a crap amp, and since they made a rubbish noise then, presume they do once they learned how to play and got a good amp. theres nothing wrong with squiers as such.
good squiers. the realllllllly cheap ones DO suck, but higher end ones are pretty damn good.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by aperfectenemy
Wow… you guys are pretty stern about grammar and spelling. LMAO (laughing my ass off)! Well, I am not an indigenous English speaker and I affably apologize for my spelling mistakes and shortcuts to all your respected grammar geeks 8). Didn’t comprehend that it’s strictly illicit to use IM-like shortcut words in the ULTIMATE-GRAMMAR forum :P

Anyways thanks to all of you for your priceless (!) posts.

Gears: Ibanez JEM7V Steve Vai Signature Electric Guitar, Yamaha AES1500 Semi-Hollow Body Electric Guitar, Line 6 spider III, POD X3live, Morley Wah, Ibanez tube-screamer, Marshall MG250DFX Stereo Combo Amp and a squier strat.

The squier strat is my first guitar. I got it when I was 13. And I was just thinking about doing a little modification to it.

If they're free then there's no harm to it, if you're friend is daft enough to shell out for a set of pickups identical to the ones he already has that's his problem. However, you want to sort out your amp situation before actually buying anything else...you've got two shockers there
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I would Say just to put them in, but you might need a new pickguard if it doesnt have 2 humbuckers, or do some body routing (scary)