Hey all, i'm looking for a really smooth, high gain distortion pedal that will give the closest sound that Petrucci uses. Now, before anyone says something like he uses Mesa Boogie and you won't get that tone from a pedal, I know that. What i'm looking for is something to get me as close to his distorted sound as possible.

I already have the AMT California sound as a definate pedal to check out, and from the demos and reviews ive heard for it that will get me close, but that will be hard to find in Australia.

So, suggestions welcome. And i will be getting a high gain tube amp eventually, but looking for a really good pedal for now.

My setup is a Yamaha AES820 with DiMarzio's, Randall RH200G2 head (great distortion for metal but not smooth enough for my liking) and Carvin MTS412 cab (great cab) and a few effects.

Thanks.
This in pedal form...

I had to do it, I have no idea, this is a dilemma I've been trying to solve too.
MI Audio Crunch box gets a good Mark IV tone from what I hear.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
^Thanks, it's got very good reviews and people are saying it is really good for silky solos, which is what i'm after, ill check it out.
^I listened to some clips online and I think it's too British/Marshally sounding, not really a Petrucci tone.
Quote by Geartrigger
^I listened to some clips online and I think it's too British/Marshally sounding, not really a Petrucci tone.

Yeah, it does a bit.
AMT California Sound. Pretty good mesa-esque tone.

Clips.
http://www.pedalgeek.com/cgi-bin/new_shop.cgi?config=&uid=RVwq4wAA1212896747&command=link--amtcs

*EDIT*

lol....just re-read the first post.

Note to self:
Remember to read the whole damn post before you answer.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Last edited by mogar at Jun 8, 2008,
Yeah, wait for the satchurator?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming! I am still thinking that if i can find the AMT California sound i am going to pick it up in a heartbeat, hopefully it lives up to all the demo's i have heard.

The Satchurator looks very interesting as well, and i love his tone, very smooth and liquidy, I will definately check that one out.

And to Kevin, from my experience with boss distortion pedals, i just don't like their sound, but a modded one could do the trick. I'm in Australia so shipping it off to get the mod wouldn't be worth it for how much it would be. I do love their effects pedals though.

EDIT: I just watched the vid out the Satchurator, that thing sounds great and I will definately check it out. Too bad he didn't demo it for longer.
Last edited by DeadMansCurve at Jun 8, 2008,
dunno but i'm prolly getting
1. keeley ds-1 ultra mod
2. keeley ts9dx flexi 4x2
to go with my gear, for petrucci, satriani, vai and other instrumentalists' sounds.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
The new Tech 21 Character Series pedals. They're supposed to be analogue amp simulator pedals, mainly for recording, but can be put in front of an amp. They have a California pedal, which is based on Mesa Boogie amps. Not sure how it sounds, but seems worth a look. The Satchurator would also be one to look into, as it's a fair bit cheaper.
Gear
Epiphone G-400
Orange Tiny Terror
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Blackstar HT-Dual
MXR 10-Band EQ
What about a Mesa V-Twin pedal? It's made by Mesa and it's a pedal. Never heard it myself, but looks good.
Fender American Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
79 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Mesa Boogie Mark IV with 4x12 Recto Cab
Looking for Ibanez RGA model or Petrucci PM me for details
Well you can check out the Xotic BB Preamp. It won't change your tone, but it will smooth out your amps pre-existing tone quite a lot. I used to use it with a Mesa Roadster, an amp that in my opinion was never meant for anything other than thick chunky rhythm, and the BB preamp took away all of the ugly grainy fuzz and gave me a sweet smooth tone.
Well, i watched the vid for that Tech 21 California sound pedal and it sounded pretty muddy and undefined, but that could be the settings the guy in the vid was using.

Those Mesa V-Twin pedals sound awesome but they are probably extremely expensive and no shops around here have them. But so far that is the closest pedal that i have heard that gets the exact sound i want.

As for those Xotic BB preamp's, would that work to smooth out a SS Randall?

I just found out that the V-Twin will run me around $1000, so i wont be spending that kind of money on a pedal.
Last edited by DeadMansCurve at Jun 10, 2008,
Quote by necrophilic
dunno but i'm prolly getting
1. keeley ds-1 ultra mod
2. keeley ts9dx flexi 4x2
to go with my gear, for petrucci, satriani, vai and other instrumentalists' sounds.

I'm getting those two pedals too!
I would suggest the Mesa V-Twin also. I believe it's an overdrive, though, not a distortion.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
^Yeah, but the price is the only thing making me say no, not to mention i have never seen one at any of my music stores. I'm saving up for a smooth, high gain tube amp at the moment, but need a pedal to get me through until then.