got any suggestions?

I would like to stick with a PC instead of a Mac. Under 1000 PLEASE I"m thinking like 5 to 800

Needs to have a good soundcard and stuff or just recommend me one
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
If you want a good soundcard, get an interface. Tell me what you plan on recording. As for prices, any laptop from HP or Dell will be solid...you can even get 17" under $1000 assuming you don't choose any upgrades. It's also a good idea to upgrade laptops yourself to save cash...RAM's a piece of cake.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
I really suggest looking into MTRs...

A laptop will probably eat up most of your budget to start out with, then you need an interface and those are not cheap if you want to get good sound.

Sure editing and such is easier on a laptop with a large screen but theres also some drawbacks...
Laptops are more expensive than a desktop PC
They run fairly hot which is never good
Laptops are expensive and hard to upgrade though the years.

The Yamaha AW1600 is an awesome MTR, my cousin got one a month ago.

With this MTR you can always go back to your desktop at home and mix and master before burning to a CD.

http://studio-central.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=33

http://www.tweakheadz.com/multi_track_recorders.htm
Last edited by moody07747 at Jun 7, 2008,
Get a mac. Get it from apple. There's an AMAZING sound program for it. They'll preinstall it for free, and it costs like 100-200 bucks. The mac could be from 1,000-3,000. Just depends on what you want in it.
^ But that's not really helpful, seeing as a Mac isn't really within the budget he named.

You could go with what moody said, if you think that you wouldn't mind having the flexibility and features of a computer based system. I'd say it mainly depends on whether your budget is just for the laptop or for a full recording setup.
There is poetry in despair.
It really only for a laptop I'm gonna use it for more than recording but need it for recording the most.

I'm really thinking a dell or HP actually and just upgrading it to an M-audio soundcard and pro tools

well This doesn't look so bad what do you think

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/cto.do
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Jun 8, 2008,
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
well if you must use a laptop get the best you can in your budget. Lots of ram and storage as well as a fast dual core processor. Also allow for a good audio interface with the proper connection. FireWire is best to get these days IMO. Tweak's Guide has a lot of info as well as info on PC DAWs. That would be worth looking into before buying. It's linked in my sig.

stick with windows XP, vista drivers are hard to come by these days...
get a laptop with aw firewire port if you can...(most HPs and newer dells have a 4 pin connection on them.)

HPs are good, my mom just got one a while back, 3 GB ram and a fast 2.00+GHz processor. I use an acer aspire 5570Z laptop myself and like it but its not fast enough for audio recording by any means...
I'm sure their higher end units would be though and you can always find them on sale.

look up computers though Slickdeals.net. My brother always finds great deals though them.
We currently have like 4 extra ink jet printers...all free in the end after rebates.
Last edited by moody07747 at Jun 8, 2008,
Quote by moody07747
well if you must use a laptop get the best you can in your budget. Lots of ram and storage as well as a fast dual core processor. Also allow for a good audio interface with the proper connection. FireWire is best to get these days IMO. Tweak's Guide has a lot of info as well as info on PC DAWs. That would be worth looking into before buying. It's linked in my sig.

stick with windows XP, vista drivers are hard to come by these days...
get a laptop with aw firewire port if you can...(most HPs and newer dells have a 4 pin connection on them.)

HPs are good, my mom just got one a while back, 3 GB ram and a fast 2.00+GHz processor. I use an acer aspire 5570Z laptop myself and like it but its not fast enough for audio recording by any means...
I'm sure their higher end units would be though and you can always find them on sale.

look up computers though Slickdeals.net. My brother always finds great deals though them.
We currently have like 4 extra ink jet printers...all free in the end after rebates.

Firewire I'll see about that.

I'll look into that website also.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era