So I'm getting a new guitar, and my first choice was Carvin. "Ok," I told myself, "A Carvin. Wicked sweet." So I customize it with a totally rad flamed koa top (a DC127) and some M22SD humbuckers and it comes out to be $1200. So I had my heart set on Carvin, but then I started hearing things about ESP and the quality guitars they made.

So I looked into ESP and saw one guitar that truly caught my eye (and wallet)- the MH-1000.
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_deluxe-m.html

I mainly play shred and progressive (think Yngwie, Dream Theater) and thrash metal (Megadeth, early Metallica, Nile, etc.). I'm thinking the ESP (or LTD, whatever you want to call it) would handle the metal better, but the Carvin seems like such a quality instrument...
ESP
over all reliable
good stage guitars
and there pretty sweet looking anyways
The primary question is, do you want actives or not? I personally think that EMG's playing shred sounds... bad. They're just not articulate or bright enough for me, I prefer higher- output passives like Dimarzios or some of the pickups Carvin makes. That's just me, though.
One more thing I thought about is the fact that the ESP comes with an Original FR, which is a definite plus. I know I could put one on the Carvin, but it is a Licensed FR and also costs $120 more, which is too much more than I would already be going over on my budget.

I already have a Gibson Les Paul Studio, which i could put some DiMarzios in for shreddage and use the ESP for more metal-y things.
A guitar customized to your specifications vs. a random off the shelf guitar.

The choice should be easy.

I thought Carvin used OFRs also, you should call them up and ask.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
A guitar customized to your specifications vs. a random off the shelf guitar.

The choice should be easy.

I thought Carvin used OFRs also, you should call them up and ask.

Schaller on the 6's and LFR on the 7's. Schaller > Floyd Rose.

That being said, I'd take a carvin anyday. If you like the way your gibson feels and sounds, build a Carvin more like a Gibson (12'' radii neck, dual humbuckers, mahogany, ebony fretboard, ... you get it). With ESP, you better hope you like ESP, otherwise you're going to have the guitar that sounds cool but might feel wierd, or sound bad and feel good...

Personally, I'd go Carvin; PRS quality, my specs. Not to mention you could get a wilkenson trem with piezo for that amazing clean tone.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Schaller on the 6's and LFR on the 7's. Schaller > Floyd Rose.

That being said, I'd take a carvin anyday. If you like the way your gibson feels and sounds, build a Carvin more like a Gibson (12'' radii neck, dual humbuckers, mahogany, ebony fretboard, ... you get it). With ESP, you better hope you like ESP, otherwise you're going to have the guitar that sounds cool but might feel wierd, or sound bad and feel good...

Personally, I'd go Carvin; PRS quality, my specs. Not to mention you could get a wilkenson trem with piezo for that amazing clean tone.

No they use OFR's no LFR's of any kind unless on a 7-string

I'd pick the Carvin over any ESP around the 1200 buck price range.
Aye, its OFR's They use. At least on the model i was Looking at.

Id Say take the Carvin, because its Custom For you and you can have all the cool stuff like Truss Rod Engravement, and your choice of hardware colour. My advice though, if it isnt your dream guitar at 1200. SAVE UP MORE! no sense getting a custom if its not everything you want
I think I am going to order the DC127 with M22SD humbuckers and the oh so sweet Dragonburst finish. Of course, it comes out to $1240, but... it is the most orgasmic finish you can get, in my opinion.
Everyone who plays my Carvin is instantly jealous.

If the price is too high, get rid of the expensive aesthetic aspects. That should drop the drice down to the $700-800 range.
Hey do you guys think the V220 looks kinda lame?
Because I was thinking of getting it instead of the DC127 since they are practically the same price when the Tune-O-Matic bridge is put on the DC.

Take the carvin.
Bare in mind that the MH1000 isnt an ESP. Its an LTD.
I cant stand it when people call LTD ESP. Its like calling epiphone gibson.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Get the Carvin. I've got a DC127 and an EC1000, and although I love my EC, the carvin is superior in almost every way.
Gear:
Fender Standard HSS Strat w/ Tone Zone bridge
ESP Ltd EC-1k Black cherry
Carvin DC127 blackburst with Bareknuckle Warpigs
Peavey 6505+
Esp, Ofcourse.. if you play much metallcia. esp all the way. works also good for dream, AND you have 2 emg 81
Quote by MightyAl
Isn't it odd, that Iron Man is a superhero, whereas "iron, woman!" is a command?

EAT MY ASS AND BALLS.
Carvin I would say, pure quality, and Jason Becker played Carvin for a reason.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join