So, as the time passes, I find that I need to grow my nails on my picking hand to meet the needs of any type of special picking that is required. However, my nails constantly chip or crack, so I'm thinking... this is for the women UGers (guys, feel free to answer if you've attempted this): is it possible that using some sort of nail "hardener" (or whatever it may be called) could strengthen my nails? Is this actually my last resort? Any input is welcome, and alternatives to this slightly gender-confused solution would be awesome as well.
Theres some supplement you can take, i forget the name though. However ive heard tapping your fingernails on hard surfaces can help to strengthen them.

edit:
Instant Nail Hardener

"A good diet can help improve your nails, and taking the right vitamins will result in harder nails. Want to fill in the ridge's in your nails and get stronger nails? 1. Eat high-quality protein and fiber foods including eggs, grains, legumes, nuts and seeds. 2. Make sure your diet has a good combination of fresh fruits and vegetables. 3. Sulfur- and silicon-rich foods like onions, broccoli, fish and sea vegetables all help to harder your nails. 4. Eat foods high in B vitamins. Want to supplement your diet? Try looking for a base coat or polish infused with Calcium and Vitamins (especially B5). These can be found at any local drugstore or beauty supply store. Use daily to create a natural look and make nails harder."

http://nailcare.lifetips.com/cat/63928/nail-hardeners/index.html^
Last edited by Faux at Jun 8, 2008,
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
So, as the time passes, I find that I need to grow my nails on my picking hand to meet the needs of any type of special picking that is required. However, my nails constantly chip or crack, so I'm thinking... this is for the women UGers (guys, feel free to answer if you've attempted this): is it possible that using some sort of nail "hardener" (or whatever it may be called) could strengthen my nails? Is this actually my last resort? Any input is welcome, and alternatives to this slightly gender-confused solution would be awesome as well.

Seems crazy, but CALCIUM

You know, what's included in milk?
wut?
I find my nails get too long when im fingerpicking and when im fretting i have to cut them all the time.
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
I drink a lot of milk, but uhm, I sort of have a job as a dishwasher and well, the dishwater seems to weaken my nails.

Were you trying to sound like an asshole? 'Cause you came off as one.
Quote by druz15_UG
wut?
I find my nails get too long when im fingerpicking and when im fretting i have to cut them all the time.

Well, I'm doing a lot of string skipping these days, and I just find having that small extra bit of nail makes it easier for me to play, as it's "hard" and resonates on the string better like an actual pick, instead of the possibility of my fingers becoming sweaty or whatnot and having them catch on the string. In other words, I'm confident that growing my nails has helped me to play cleaner.
Quote by vans1170
manly steriods
i donno, i guess nailpolish if you really want to

Steroids? I want my fingernails strengthened, not a chiseled physique and shrunken testicles.
this is a hard one. try going to a beauty supply store. you'll definitely fine something there.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
I drink a lot of milk, but uhm, I sort of have a job as a dishwasher and well, the dishwater seems to weaken my nails.

Were you trying to sound like an asshole? 'Cause you came off as one.

Wow, after reading my post again, I do realise I sound like a major asshole

Sorry!!!

Don't know why I wrote that and why I didn't realise ><

Anyway, you could try wearing a rubber glove, or waiting overnight after you wash the dishes?
Alright good suggestions!

Super Glue? You mean just apply it to my fingernails? That seems odd, and I've seen friends deal with Super Glue... stuck their fingers right together and had to rip them clean off of each other... with a little help from our friend "Rum".
Quote by XianXiuHong
Wow, after reading my post again, I do realise I sound like a major asshole

Sorry!!!

Don't know why I wrote that and why I didn't realise ><

Anyway, you could try wearing a rubber glove, or waiting overnight after you wash the dishes?

Hah, don't worry 'bout it.

I've tried wearing a glove before but it get so hot and sweaty that my hand just feels like a cold, dead fish... odd, I know.
i've used my wife's clear coat polish on my index finger and it seemed to help a bit.

lots of vitamins and calcium makes sense.

i'm actually trying to switch over to picks as my index finger was starting to get this ugly red/purple blotch underneath index finger and nail was wearing thin. lol

superglue doesn't seem healthy at all as i would think that would soak into system some how.

You're right. I'll need a viable excuse. No real man walks in a beauty store asking for nail products!

EDIT: I do not know if Walgreens exists in Canada... never been to one, haha.