I am trying to learn a song and I got about the first minute of it down.... but I've stumpled at one part that I simply cant get down.... this kinda kills the way the song is supposed to go. I am talking about joe satrianis "always with me always with you". So what do you guys do when you get stuck on one part that is just a b**** to master?

Do I skip it and learn the rest of the song or what do you suggest?
Quote by rich_sg
I've been here nearly 4 years now. I get no respect.

Quote by xCobainx
Respect in the pit?

Lol

Pink Floyd is The Best
Make up my own way to play it or maybe even a whole new part. That's how your playing gains originality.
For me, I usually attempt to get it down, or at least get it down to a certain point. I would suggest practicing it over and over... you're gonna have to learn it eventually, so why not start now?
b/c i suck, i give up, thats y i suck... its a viscious cycle
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
i sometimes skip it, if im able to finsh the song. Then when you play it, you sorta feel that once you get that part, you have the whole song done. Sort of narrows down what you need to do, instead of having a stopping point in the song where you cant go any further. Either way though, youll have to put time into learning that part, so whatever you find easiest to motivate yourself to learn it is best.
Quote by seizetheday1103
b/c i suck, i give up, thats y i suck... its a viscious cycle

I assure you that you will never get anywhere with your playing if that's your attitude.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
For me, I usually attempt to get it down, or at least get it down to a certain point. I would suggest practicing it over and over... you're gonna have to learn it eventually, so why not start now?

yea i agree its beter off just learning it
I usually just slow it down to the point I can play it, even if it's at a snails pace, play it a couple times, move on work on some other stuff, and then come back to it.
the problem with this perticular song is that it gets faster and faster for a lil while starting at the point where I got stuck. maybe i am holding my pick wrong or something, I just cant get the speed on it.
Quote by rich_sg

Quote by xCobainx
Respect in the pit?

Lol

Pink Floyd is The Best
I sometimes just put it on the backburner for a while until I get better, but most of the time, I slow it down until I can master it.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by Rooskiy
the problem with this perticular song is that it gets faster and faster for a lil while starting at the point where I got stuck. maybe i am holding my pick wrong or something, I just cant get the speed on it.

Do you play along to the song?
slow the song down and play like that for a while until you master it then speed it up a little and repeat. ive done this and ive noticed that sometimes i would speed it up faster then the song is originally and i can play it perfectly. also practice it a little before you sleep everynight thats helps you get it down.
GEAR
Jackson JS30WR with EMG 81/85
Dean Vendetta
Peavey Valveking 212 (tung sol 12ax7 - JJ6l6gc)
Ibanez TS9
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2

Quote by insanitytheband
Hey Im Looking For Some Tech Death Metal In D

Quote by alexyeung
try anything form avenged sevenfold

wtf?
I'm not one for solos, I just substitute some improv in for it, unless it ahs a part that I really like that's easy to remember.

Example: The HOPO b/t D and E part in "Mexicola", then I just bum out on the minor pentatonic and Aeolian modes.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by tzmen23
slow the song down and play like that for a while until you master it then speed it up a little and repeat. ive done this and ive noticed that sometimes i would speed it up faster then the song is originally and i can play it perfectly. also practice it a little before you sleep everynight thats helps you get it down.

+1 to this.

If you practice before sleeping, your brain is able to rest on it, and process what you've learned. I find I'm getting better now that I play before sleep quite frequently.
i usually will play the song at a speed in which i am capable of playing it flawlessly. so basically if your stuck then try to play that song as slow as you can BUT make sure that you keep the rhythm the same. so if its 4 sixteenth notes then 2 eighth notes slow it down to 4 quarter notes and 2 half notes. then increase the tempo as you get better at it.

you could just skip it though if it's not that big a part and learn the rest of the song then just come back to it. atleast this way you feel like you've accomplished alot of the song.
Well dude. You should probably learn the rest of the song first so you don't get frustrated!!
Then listen to the music and take it each note at a time. Just find it on the fret board.
Or do what GeekInThePink said. Be original!
Step 1. Find the power tab for it.
Step 2. Listen to the song, slower if you wish, read the tabs/sheet music while it plays.
Step 3. Get a metronome, and put it on a slowish speed, a speed where you can get it predominately correct. Then play if predominately correct, increase speed.
Step 4. Rinse Lather Repeat = Profit.
Gear(Sucks):
Aria STG Series Strat
Yamaha F310P Acoustic
BOSS DS-2 Distortion.
RMS 10 Watt Practice Amp

Wishlist:
New guitar
Brawl: 2578 4543 4918
Quote by Noodle93
Step 1. Find the power tab for it.
Step 2. Listen to the song, slower if you wish, read the tabs/sheet music while it plays.
Step 3. Get a metronome, and put it on a slowish speed, a speed where you can get it predominately correct. Then play if predominately correct, increase speed.
Step 4. Rinse Lather Repeat = Profit.

i have guitar pro..... is there anyway to play the song in slow motion?
Quote by rich_sg

Quote by xCobainx
Respect in the pit?

Lol

Pink Floyd is The Best
There's a button with a little playback arrow, I think it's called loop or speed trainer. You can slow the song or a section to whatever percentage of the original speed and have it increase speed for every iteration until a set maximum.
I don't need a sig....
Quote by Rooskiy
i have guitar pro..... is there anyway to play the song in slow motion?

Yes, it's a little percentage sign up at the toolbar that contains the play button, right next to the BPM counter. You can slow it down to 75%, 50%, and 25% speed. You can also use it to speed up a song if you want (but I don't advise that)
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by Zar Mulix
There's a button with a little playback arrow, I think it's called loop or speed trainer. You can slow the song or a section to whatever percentage of the original speed and have it increase speed for every iteration until a set maximum.

sweet. I found it. I think that will be really helpful later on.
Quote by rich_sg

Quote by xCobainx
Respect in the pit?

Lol

Pink Floyd is The Best
Quote by SG Man Forever
Yes, it's a little percentage sign up at the toolbar that contains the play button, right next to the BPM counter. You can slow it down to 75%, 50%, and 25% speed. You can also use it to speed up a song if you want (but I don't advise that)

thanks. its a great tool to have.
Quote by rich_sg

Quote by xCobainx
Respect in the pit?

Lol

Pink Floyd is The Best
As a very rough rule of thumb, if you can't figure the sounds out you're not going to be able to play it. The first step in learning a piece of music is simply knowing what sound you're aiming for - if you can't figure it out then it's not worth bothering with yet.

If you can hear the notes in there and hum/sing it back to yourself then you shouldn't have any problems, however if there's any bits where your brain just sees "widdlywiddlywiddlyweeooo" then you're going to struggle. If you can slow it down twith something like Guitar Pro you should be fine though as that makes it a lot easier to hear what's been played.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com