Poll: James Hetfield - Underrated or Overrated?
Poll Options
View poll results: James Hetfield - Underrated or Overrated?
Overrated
71 24%
Underrated
55 19%
Neither, He is where he should be
167 57%
Voters: 293.
Page 1 of 2
Overrated, Underrated or neither.

I don't think hes overrated but he definitely beats Kirk overall.
Why is this thread here?

I don't see the point
He's a solid rhythm guitarist, honestly. I like him. I don't think he's underrated, maybe a little over but I voted the third choice.
Quote by imgooley
Why is this thread here?

I don't see the point

I do... it's a legit question

I think he's where he should be... he's a metal rhythm guitarist. Not hyped up, not ignored.
Quote by capt_dammit
kaervek...you rock

Quote by guitardude34875
the genre of metal is like an apple, I prefer just the apple, not the applecore
I think he's about where he should be. I don't hear many people trashing him. I don't hear people singing his praise constantly. I'd say he's a good singer who can play some semi-complicated rhythms while doing it... which I give a nod too since personally can't sing and play much at all. seems like a skill you either have, or you don't.
no he's not overrated or underated people recognize that he is a great rhythm guitarist like stated above but yeah if i have to here another solo from hammet were he rapes his wah pedal I go f***ing nuts
Quote by LaGrange
Shouldnt have said the unspoken words of MG in the pit. Now look at what ya dun.

Quote by Mecler
A guitar made of wood?
That's such a ****ing brilliant idea!
Cliff was the real genius behind Metallica.
I get very tense around apples...Well, I get very tense generally. I think I've fallen into the trap of blaming fruit.

Jeff

Peavey Studio Pro 112 for sale. Anyone want it?
He's a pretty good rhythm player and the solo on 'Nothing Else Matters' is pretty good, though not too difficult. I think yes, Hammett is a bit overrated now that I have a greater perception of what is technical proficiency on guitar. I started listening to Metallica, learnt that Joe Satriani taught Kirk for a while, got into him and learnt about Vai, Malmsteen, Petrucci (and Dream Theater), Eric Johnson, Paul Gilbert and the G3 tour and then I kept exploring and found guys like Loomis, Broderick, Rusty Cooley, Michael Angelo, Michael Romeo and just the other week Marco Sfogli and Andy Timmons. But yeah Metallica (and my discovery of Kirk taking lessons from Satch) really started my journey into more technically composed, arranged and performed forms of music.
Quote by Kaervek
I do... it's a legit question

I think he's where he should be... he's a metal rhythm guitarist. Not hyped up, not ignored.

It's like asking if Ghandi is overrated.

In the end, he's just a man, and he's going to die like every other man.

Is Metallica overrated? Yes. Are the musicians overrated? to a degree, but so are all the musicians who sell as many records as they did.
Quote by babyboo666
He's not overrated, everyone allready knows he sucks...

Hamlet's overrated though..

I thought Hamlet was a great play.

Quote by Munchlaxatives

+1 DAMN YOU SWEDEN!!! WHY DID YOU HAVE TO STEAL THE METAL AWAY FROM METALLICA!!!
Quote by imgooley

Is Metallica overrated? Yes. Are the musicians overrated? to a degree, but so are all the musicians who sell as many records as they did.

because Ghandi was definitely "just a man"

and how come any band who has sold a certain amount of records is deemed overrated?

Metallica sucks anyway
Quote by babyboo666
He's not overrated, everyone allready knows he sucks...

Hamlet's overrated though..

You obviously know nothing about Metallica since you called Hammett HAMLET, and Shakespeare isn't over rated.

You also know nothing about guitar seeing as you think Hetfield sucks when he is one of the most solid rhythm guitarists / vocalists out there. Not to mention lyrics and song writing.

Quote by daeqwon10000

Metallica sucks anyway

Blink 182 avatar. Your musician opinion = void. Grow up and listen to actual music.
Quote by Munchlaxatives

He wrote like 5 songs... Get over it. Hetfield wrote and contributed way more.

AJFA also came after Cliff.
Quote by Gordita Supreme

Out of all their metal albums, AJFA was probably the worst. I would have pointed out that he didn't contribute on Kill Em' All to make a valid point. And why isn't this in bands and artists?
Quote by Gordita Supreme

Cliff still did have a small part of AJFA... or the beginning of the writing or whatever.

but I think James is a very good rhythem player, not the best but still he's pretty damn good. He's know right as where's he's supposed to. NOW Dave Mustaine *ahem*....
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
Last edited by octavarium78 at Jun 8, 2008,
Quote by Godsmack_IV
Out of all their metal albums, AJFA was probably the worst. I would have pointed out that he didn't contribute on Kill Em' All to make a valid point. And why isn't this in bands and artists?

AJFA is the worst? I don't know what the **** you're thinking. Mixing wise, yah it sucks that bass is non existant.

Blackened, Dyers Eve, Harvester of Sorrow, One....?

Pure win.
Quote by Gordita Supreme
AJFA is the worst? I don't know what the **** you're thinking. Mixing wise, yah it sucks that bass is non existant.

Blackened, Dyers Eve, Harvester of Sorrow, One....?

Pure win.

Justice, their worst ? O_o. Justice is my favorite due to the progressive elements in the title track and "To Live Is To Die," and not to mention the ballsy riffage found in just about other track. While the lyrics were more direct -- something I thought inferior to Puppets' -- and less metaphorical, they fit the songs perfectly. Hetfield REALLY put out some damn good riffs on Justice.

The Frayed Ends of Sanity ? I swear, this must be Metallica's most underrated song, apart from some Kill 'Em All tunes. Kirk's solo was in no way bad on Sanity, and I DESPISE that they never play it live, as far as I know. Who can resist singing "Oh whee oh" in the beginning ? Seriously, can you ? I can't. It's just too damn catchy. LONG LIVE OZ !

I prefer "One" to "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)," though I'd take "Fade to Black" any day. xD. I don't know. "Master of Puppets" may be the greatest example of thrash metal mayhem, but Justice was more complex, and that appeals to me. I think Justice was the height of their success.
what annoys me is his singing. I hate his voice on many metallica songs and I despise all the copycats who try to sing exactly like he does.
Well, as far as singing goes, he's no Enrico Carruso. But he would have sounded stupid in Metallica.
He's a damn good rhythm player, and he can bust out some pretty cool leads every now and then.
Quote by Gordita Supreme
You obviously know nothing about Metallica since you called Hammett HAMLET, and Shakespeare isn't over rated.

You also know nothing about guitar seeing as you think Hetfield sucks when he is one of the most solid rhythm guitarists / vocalists out there. Not to mention lyrics and song writing.

Blink 182 avatar. Your musician opinion = void. Grow up and listen to actual music.

Fan boy much?
The avatar does not maketh the man.

Meh, I like Metallica a bit.
He's not the best at either, but for what is asked of him, he does brilliant.
Neither overrated or underrated. He's a decent enough singer too.
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']^ This man knows everything.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
@ yet another win post from Vince. Kudos to you, sir.
Quote by daeqwon10000
because Ghandi was definitely "just a man"

and how come any band who has sold a certain amount of records is deemed overrated?

Metallica sucks anyway

Quote by imgooley

It's spelt Gandhi

Anywho, I never really saw Hetfield as either...he's just a good player
Quote by Cobalt Blue
I think he's about where he should be. I don't hear many people trashing him. I don't hear people singing his praise constantly. I'd say he's a good singer who can play some semi-complicated rhythms while doing it... which I give a nod too since personally can't sing and play much at all. seems like a skill you either have, or you don't.

It's not. You have to put in a lot of practice.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by Gordita Supreme

You're an idiot. Liking a band that hasn't exhibited any musical talent doesn't have anything to do with the validity of a person's opinion. Even excluding the possibility that the person in question could enjoy other, more technical artists as well (because not everyone narrows their musical tastes down to one genre), the fact that musical preferences are entirely subjective means that no one's musical opinions can be void unless they have never heard the musician in question. Their statement may be misinformed if they hadn't heard enough of that musician's music to make a proper judgment, but their opinion is still perfectly valid.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
To tell the truth, I don' t think that Kirk and James are "rated".
People like Slash are "rated"

agreed
Hetfield used to be a good singer, now he's just a good guitar player. He can't sing like he used to anymore, because of age? not sure about that, he looks burned out to me.
Quote by gh0sthack
You're an idiot. Liking a band that hasn't exhibited any musical talent doesn't have anything to do with the validity of a person's opinion. Even excluding the possibility that the person in question could enjoy other, more technical artists as well (because not everyone narrows their musical tastes down to one genre), the fact that musical preferences are entirely subjective means that no one's musical opinions can be void unless they have never heard the musician in question. Their statement may be misinformed if they hadn't heard enough of that musician's music to make a proper judgment, but their opinion is still perfectly valid.

+agreement.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I just wish he did more solos(even though thats not really his job because he's the rhythm guitarist).
Quote by Pagan-Pie
Every thing related to Metallica is overrated. Except Dave Mustaine. :P

+4754893875932615264849

NOTHING HURTS BATMAN!

Quote by dannay
what this man says is correct.

Quote by clemm
WHAT IS THE PIT!?!?!!!!!!?!??
--clemm

n00b
Page 1 of 2