Hey, I posted this in the recording thread, and moody gave me some good advice, but since no one else ever goes in there I just wanted to get a few more good opinions here.

Basically, I have no musicians to play with, so I want to record myself so I can get the songs together. I want to use:

Boss BR600
SM57

To record myself playing guitar, bass, drums, and djembe, maracas, and other percussion stuff.

I can't use a computer based program because the only computer in my house is a desktop two floors away.

I know I won't get pro sounds out of this, but is this the best way to do it for this price range? Any other ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,
Ketchup
Last edited by KetchupLad14 at Jun 8, 2008,
Quote by rizo299
You'd be a lot better off getting an audio interface with a bundled version of cubase LE in my opinion.

He said he can't use a computer to do it. You could just get a multitrack recorder but they might be a little too expensive. Just do a google search for it and see what you get.

Edit: Hahaha no worries rizo299, I just realised that I told him to do what he was already planning on doing. This reading thing is overrated
Last edited by maggot9779 at Jun 8, 2008,
Quote by maggot9779
He said he can't use a computer to do it. You could just get a multitrack recorder but they might be a little too expensive. Just do a google search for it and see what you get.

Didn't spot that, sorry....
Quote by rizo299
Didn't spot that, sorry....

It's all good.

Quote by maggot9779

Edit: Hahaha no worries rizo299, I just realised that I told him to do what he was already planning on doing. This reading thing is overrated

So yeah, that seems like the best option then. Do you have any opinions on the BR600 specifically?

Oh, and also, I forgot to mention that I'll also probably be buying new Sennheiser HD280 headphones.
Quote by KetchupLad14
It's all good.

So yeah, that seems like the best option then. Do you have any opinions on the BR600 specifically?

Oh, and also, I forgot to mention that I'll also probably be buying new Sennheiser HD280 headphones.

Afraid not, sorry, I use Cubase to record stuff. From a google search though it looks OK, I did't see any XLR inputs so you might need to get a XLR to 1/4' cable for your mic. Also the memory that comes with it is only 128MB so you might need to get another card.
Quote by maggot9779
Afraid not, sorry, I use Cubase to record stuff. From a google search though it looks OK, I did't see any XLR inputs so you might need to get a XLR to 1/4' cable for your mic. Also the memory that comes with it is only 128MB so you might need to get another card.

Yeah, the thing comes with an adapter. The only thing I don't like is that I can't use Condenser mics this way because it's not phantom powered. But since I was only planning on using my friends condenser mic anyway, maybe I can just use his recording thing for that.

Do you think 128mb will be enough for one song with a bunch of tracks? I don't mind if I have to move each individual song on to the computer each time, but I want to make sure its enough for 8 or so tracks.
I hate to be promoting myself, but the BR600 is a proper piece of equipment, and some songs on my profile are recorded with the br if you want to know how it sounds (Work in progress #1 / #2, Six, Purples, Summertime).
And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
Quote by Mister.Y
I hate to be promoting myself, but the BR600 is a proper piece of equipment, and some songs on my profile are recorded with the br if you want to know how it sounds (Work in progress #1 / #2, Six, Purples, Summertime).

Hm...

How well does it handle some heavier OD? Most of the stuff I'm hearing from your songs is rather clear, and if it isn't it's not really in the metal sense. I've been thinking of picking up one of these myself, although I'm not sure if it'd be good for this.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Quote by Td_Nights
Hm...

How well does it handle some heavier OD? Most of the stuff I'm hearing from your songs is rather clear, and if it isn't it's not really in the metal sense. I've been thinking of picking up one of these myself, although I'm not sure if it'd be good for this.

It has some metal effects on it, but as you've heard, I'm not really into metal so I wouldn't know if they're any good for it. You might find something on youtube though.
And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
Quote by Mister.Y

Wow, that sounds great!

I'm assuming that's with the guitar plugged directly into the unit, and if it is, then the sounds on that are way better than I would've expected. That's sick.

The drum machine sounds sound way nicer

Awesome, I'm definitely confident in this thing now.
Yea, the BR600 is nice.

If you had more money to blow, maybe the BR1600?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Yea, the BR600 is nice.

If you had more money to blow, maybe the BR1600?

But the BR1600 is like twice the price.

The BR900 is $600, but that's a little more than I want to spend. Especially since with the mic and headphones, I'm adding an extra $180.
Quote by GiantRaven
I think you'll need more than 2 mics to record drums

I was only planning on using one.

I know that won't be very high quality, but there's not really anything else I can do there.
dude go get the br600 right now, i have it and its the frocken shiz. go now. Check out my profile recordings, thats the quality you can get even if your a noob