Ok... so it is my understanding that the speed of sound is approximately around 330 m/s at ground level. I don't know if thats exact but meh its close enough. I also know that sound travels faster in water than in air. It is common knowledge that when transferring between subsonic speeds and supersonic speeds, a.k.a. breaking the sound barrier, in air there is a Sonic Boom. Now my question is, if say hypothetically you could invent say a submarine, that could travel at the speed of sound in water, what ever that may be, what would happen? Like would there be a sonic boom, or something similar, and would it be bigger, smaller, like how would it be different?
My thoughts were, with water being a denser medium would the sonic boom created be not as impressive, as there is more friction, thus causing the boom to like lose energy quicker. Or seeing as it would obviously require more energy to break the sound barrier in water, would perhaps more energy be released causing the boom to be larger?
I saw a science thread a few months back and if it were still around I would have posted in that however seeing as I'm not in the mood to revive a long dead thread, I just made my own thread. So I dunno I'm just wondering what everyones thoughts on this were and what you think would happen?
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.

When the fuck did we get ice cream?
This is the single most educated question ever asked on the pit. I applaud you!
Actually.
I can't remember the exact explination, but there is something specific about the air itself that makes the boom happen, i think it may have to do with the temperature change or the energy needed yo put forth the speed, but there theoretically is no 'sonic-boom', if something exceeded that speed in water nothing would happen.

I'll look it up and come back when i have more info.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
On a similar note I wondered if there is a sonic boom when you break the speed of sound what happens when you break the speed of light?
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by tayroar
On a similar note I wondered if there is a sonic boom when you break the speed of sound what happens when you break the speed of light?

Time stops.
Quote by tayroar

a) u would travel into the future
OR
b) the universe would implode

NOTE: if a happened, b would happen instantly after this, so there would be no way of you knowing that a had happened, but then again, you probably wouldn't survive travelling at that speed im sure your organs would explode or something nasty
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Quote by tayroar

You can't actually break the speed of light, because you have mass.
Quote by XianXiuHong
You can't actually break the speed of light, because you have mass.

But his questions is what would happen if you did? Let's assume humans have no mass, and any vessel in which they might be traveling to get to that speed has no mass.

I think time would stop for that person.
Due to Einsteins Theory on relativity I believe he proved you can't travel faster than the speed of light. I read the explanation on wikipedia once but the theory of relativity is way to complicated for me. I get the basics but like I dunno its ****ed... ahah its almost as bad as string theory. But that is a good question, although I know the sound boom has something to do with how sound travels in waves, and I know light has properties that suggests it travels in waves, however there's other properties of light that suggest it doesn't... I'm not completely sure of the science behind light and its properties though. But I don't think anything would happen, although I think theoretically if you were to travel faster than the speed of light I think theres some law that states you'd actually begin to travel back in time however this is all stuff I really don't know much about. All this stuff is like way beyond me as I'm just a grade 11 physics student, although I do find it very intriguing.

Assuming you could travel faster than light.and I think time would stop at the speed of light and would begin to move backwards as you travel past the speed of light, however I'm really only guessing here, and have no idea
(\__/)

Quote by John_was_here
Due to Einsteins Theory on relativity I believe he proved you can't travel faster than the speed of light. I read the explanation on wikipedia once but the theory of relativity is way to complicated for me. I get the basics but like I dunno its ****ed... ahah its almost as bad as string theory. But that is a good question, although I know the sound boom has something to do with how sound travels in waves, and I know light has properties that suggests it travels in waves, however there's other properties of light that suggest it doesn't... I'm not completely sure of the science behind light and its properties though. But I don't think anything would happen, although I think theoretically if you were to travel faster than the speed of light I think theres some law that states you'd actually begin to travel back in time however this is all stuff I really don't know much about. All this stuff is like way beyond me as I'm just a grade 11 physics student, although I do find it very intriguing.

Dude.
Exact same with me.
Grade 11 physics, and i love it so much, but some stuff is so beyond my realm of thought.
What i found out about travelling at the speed of light is it's like an exponential function.
As your speed increases, the energy needed to push that mass faster and faster grows exponentially, not linear.
And the asymptote is the speed of light, so you can approach it and get faster and faster, but will never pass it because you need an infinite amount of energy.
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
when you break the light barrier in creates a white hole (or time-splosion) that spews out all the matter and time that was sucked into black holes every were in the universe or you just can't. lol
Got bored left. Got bored where I went away to. Came back.
Quote by dylpikle9
But his questions is what would happen if you did? Let's assume humans have no mass, and any vessel in which they might be traveling to get to that speed has no mass.

There are several theories on that, but since we don't actually have anything faster than light that we can harness ourselves, we can't do anything but think of what would happen.

I believe that once you break the speed of light, nothing happens but you're going faster than the speed of light, but of course, things would slow down for you, but it wouldn't appear any different to anyone else.
wholy **** ballls... I just found out that the speed of sound in freash water is around 1500 m/s, which is rediculous. 3500 kph! I would have thought it would have been maybe around like 1500 kph, but dam thats crazy. I also think there still would be some sort of a boom, because like Air is technically a liquid, and seeing as theres gonna be a sonic boom created any where in the atmosphere, whether its five metres off the ground or 5000, (different densities) there should still be one under water.

And ya physics is a sick class, its one of the few classes I pay attention in.
(\__/)

Quote by dylpikle9

You still wouldn't break the speed of light, but if you were equal with it time would stop.
███████
███████████
██████████████
███████████████
█████████████
███████████████
███████████
███████

Quote by John_was_here
wholy **** ballls... I just found out that the speed of sound in freash water is around 1500 m/s, which is rediculous. 3500 kph, I would have though it would have benn maybe around like 1500 kph, but dam thats crazy. I also think there still would be some sort of a boom, because like Air is technically a liquid, and seeing as theres gonna be a sonic boom created any where in the atmosphere, whether its five metres off the ground or 5000, (different densities) there should still be one under water

how is "Air is technically a liquid" its a combination of different gases. Its techically combination of different gases.
Got bored left. Got bored where I went away to. Came back.
Quote by eat and play
how is "Air is technically a liquid" its a combination of different gases. Its techically combination of different gases.

Well, air is a gas at regular temperatures yes, which is where it will always be found, unless an experiment is conducted.
when air is cooled to (i believe) 10-20 kelvin, it turns to liquid.
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
well played... I meant fluid, as water and plasma are also fluids.
(\__/)

nothing is technically a liquid gas or solid, groups of molecules can be in any state given the right conditions.