by scales. haha.

say your root note is a C. and you want to harmonize with it. You could sing the fifth (G) or the major or minor third depending on the chord. (F for major) (E for minor) see.

Just takes a little practice.

i like to practice singing intervals. too.
I play bass!
you have to decided if you want to do it by thirds, fifths etc. For thirds its usually 3 frets up and for fifths 5 frets up if you dont have major note. Like A harmonizes with C, but if its A# its a whole other ballpark
5150 III 100W, Mesa 4x12 Cab, Framus Cobra Cab, M-Audio Profire 610, ISA One Pre, SC607-b, Equator D5's, Countryman Type 85 Di box, Radial JCR, Superior Drummer, SSD 4 Ex, TS9, NS-2 and the list goes on and on
I wish I could point you to a guide on playing 3rd, 4ths, 5ths, 9th, etc. but I can't
Quote by maggot9779
Usually 3 frets up from the original note. Or a string below and 2 frets back.

Oh yeah, all minor 3rd will sound awesome!! Harmonies is like everything related to music theory: it's all math. As long as your riffs are more or less within a given scale then all you have to do is count the steps of the scale to find your harmony notes. For instance:

THIRDS:
Basic harmonies that everyone from Maiden to Megadeth to Elton John to KISS has used over the year. Scale is A minor (to make it simple) and this is the basic riff:

Now, the great thing about harmonizing in different ways is that you can always count it out on your fingers as long as you keep the scale in your head. So, since the scale is A minor, here's how that looks (fingered this way, which is a bit odd, because it will make the harmonizing riff easier to play):

To harmonize in thirds you start on the note you have, in the riff above that first note is A at the 7th fret. Then you count three steps, including the note you start on, and presto!, you have a third. In this case the first harmony would be a minor third but that doesn't matter much since staying within the scale more often than not will take care of whether a 3rd should be major or minor. If everything went right with the counting you should have reached the C at the 5th fret which is the major third to A. Doing the same thing for all the other notes in the riff ultimately produces this riff which is the original riff harmonized in 3rds:

Need to harmonize in any other steps? 4ths or 5ths perhaps? No problem. Take the riff you want to harmonize and count 4 or 5 steps from the original note. Same goes for, say, 6ths. Count 6 steps from the original A at the 7th fret and you'll end up at F at the 6th fret and the harmonized riff will look like this:

Now go forth and harmonize!!
Listen to that guy^^^^ lol

Edit, oh, another great harmony (I guess you could call it that) is one guitar playing the root and the other playing the octave. Just mess about with different frets. Even if it seems stupid you can get some really good results.
Last edited by maggot9779 at Jun 8, 2008,