Well, I've been thinking. I currently own a digitech weapon which I love because of the neat effects it has. I got a new vox amp last year for christmas and although its distortion is very good, its cleans are amazing. So, I use my weapon pedal kind of like a channel switcher, so I can from clean to dirty really fast. I regularly play metal, but I've been playing a lot of older punk recently and I want to get a new distortion pedal that is versitile yet heavy when I need it. I was looking between the boss metalcore, metal zone, and the digitech metal master. I'm gonna stop buy guitar center monday and shop around, but I'd like to get an idea of what to look after. I'm interested in the metalcore pedal, but I want a pedal that I can use light distortion with as well. If anyone has any feedback on these pedals or if someone knows of some other pedals that'd be a great help for me! Thanks in advance.
How about...

NO to all of those.

Pr'haps go for a nice modded boss DS1?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
The metal zone gets ripped on a lot here, but it's actually quite good. Its sound quality is average, but it has a wide range of tones. However, judging from what people have said, the metal core is better. The metal core doesn't have quite as much tonal versatility (though it does have quite a bit), but it sounds better overall than the metal zone.

Personally, I think the metal core has enough tone control to give you almost any range of distortion you'll need, so I'd go for it. The DS-2 is also quite good, but not as good for metal.
I thought about a DS-1, but I didn't think you could get them to sound heavy enough. Plus I cant mod pedals.

And thanks for that AVA_Plus44_182.
If it is between those three: the Metal Zone.

The Metal Core's distortion sounds the exact same no matter what the gain knob is set to.
Plus, no mid knob. My friend has this and I hate when anyone uses it.

The Digitech has no gain knob. Full gain all the time. Plus, they tend to break every month or so. My other friend has gone through 3 of these (thank god for GC warranty)

The Metal Zone sounds nice, another friend used to own it and I used it a lot. You can get a wide variety of tones from it.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
i'd say a digitech death metal just make sure u get a power supply cuz the 9v batts don't work .
I mean, buy a modded ds1 off the ebay.
But, do what you want.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I have a metal core 2 (it was a gift from someone who doesn't know anything about guitars, dont rip me about it) that i got when i was still new to guitar and I like it. The distortion does not sound the same all the time and is a lot better than my crappy built in distortion.
Toooooooooooob Screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemah! (Tube Screamer)

Have a look at the Ibanez TS7 tube screamer, it's cheaper than the TS808 reissues and although it is technically an overdrive pedal, not a distortion pedal, it can go from gritty blues to wailing solos without too much fuss.

But one thing I will ask, is the Vox you've got an all valve Vox, or a Valvetronix? Because any overdrive/distortion pedal is only going to be as good as the amp it's rinning into, and overdrives probably aren't the way to go on an SS Valvetronix amp.

If your amp is a Valvetronix, and you really love the cleans (which is quite possible, they do have nice cleans) you might wanna look at the myriad of tube powered pedals out there. They're expensive, but they're a great option for those who don't want to shell out for an all tube amp. My personal faves are the H&K Tube Factor series, and the whole Damage Control line. Vox make a couple of nice ones too, the British Bulldog would probably suit you down to the ground.
fedora, sorry to go OT...but how is the Sitar effect on the weapon? I play some oldies like paint it black and Mothers little helper...and wonder if the sitar effect on your pedal is any good? Thanks
Get a Electro Harmonix Metal Muff with Top Boost
it Kicks ass!!! n its versatile
The vox is a valvtronix. And damnedone, I think the sitar is fantastic, I mean for me it is a little unpractical, but it sounds great playing with a little gain and extra bass.