Page 1 of 2
So I've heard a lot of people I know say stuff like "Ohh diet soda gives you brain cancer!" or stuff like that. Apparently the substance asparthame (sp?) which is in it diet sodas gave mice brain cancer. That's all I've ever heard though. I've never heard how much was given to them, in what form, and how much a person would have to ingest to equal that amount. I've also never heard of any proven links to brain problems because of diet soda. I would think that if it was dangerous it would be quite well known by now, as diet sodas have been around for decades.

Does anybody have any information about this?

PS I think it goes without saying that diet sodas, like everything else, is bad for you in excess. That's not what I'm asking.
No, it isn't.

People gain weight when drinking diet soda because they're stupid and think "Oh, well if I have a diet soda with this BIG MAC AND LARGE FRI, then it's healthier!!1!1"
Quote by Gordita Supreme
No, it isn't.

People gain weight when drinking diet soda because they're stupid and think "Oh, well if I have a diet soda with this BIG MAC AND LARGE FRI, then it's healthier!!1!1"

Right, i've heard that before. People like that are stupid. Of cousre, I get a diet coke with pretty much any meal when i eat out, even if it is something like that. I just like the taste better, lol.
Aspartame does do alot of strange things to your body, and is very bad for you. Google aspartame!

P.S: im mildly allergic to it so i never touch any diet drinks
Quote by tymatt67
kinky = using a feather , perverted = using whole chicken.

of course they are bad for you. if they were healthy they would taste like cancer. if it's healthy, it will usually result in crap taste, unless it's fresh.

oh i don't know
Quote by del monte
Aspartame does do alot of strange things to your body, and is very bad for you. Google aspartame!

Aspartame does strange things to your body if you drink the equivalent of an oil barrel of it a day.
It certainly isn't healthy for you.

There is salt in diet soda and salt retains water.
People always wonder why they gain weight but only drink diet pop.
To much of anything is bad. (Except fapping, unless you start getting carpal tunnel).

I've read some stuff on Aspartame and how studies have been done that found mice were developing brain tumors after amounts of aspartame.

I stay away from the stuff anyway.
Last edited by SuperiorToYou at Jun 8, 2008,
Worse than regular soda I think. Then again anything in the soda category isn't great to be drinking in the first place.
Quote by SuperiorToYou
It certainly isn't healthy for you.

There is salt in diet soda and salt retains water.
People always wonder why they gain weight but only drink diet pop.
To much of anything is bad. (Except fapping, unless you start getting carpal tunnel).

The sodium in a can of diet coke is a very small percent of what is needed per day.

I recommend that people who think it's unhealthy read the snopes page. They cite various reliable sources and a study on this very topic that concluded that it is not dangerous.
Quote by Spamwise
The sodium in a can of diet coke is a very small percent of what is needed per day.

I recommend that people who think it's unhealthy read the snopes page. They cite various reliable sources and a study on this very topic that concluded that it is not dangerous.

I'm talking about the people having 12 glasses of it every day.

I think it's 30mg per glass of diet coke. It's not bad in small amounts but when obese people drink excessive amounts it turns from a healthier alternative to something almost as bad as the regular thing.

I'm not saying all obese people drink large amounts of diet soda. Just that there is a select few people that do and then go and call it a scam or sue the companies.
Oh, well then yeah. I'm not saying it's healthy. The companies never say that though, so people really have to be stupid to think that.
Quote by Gordita Supreme
Aspartame does strange things to your body if you drink the equivalent of an oil barrel of it a day.

Which most people honestly do.
Not literally a whole barrel, but still.

The artificial sweeteners supposedly confuse your body into thinking it's real sugar. Due to the lack of actual sugar, you end up craving natural sugars like a mofo. Which destroy any of the promised weight loss benifits.
And it ****s with your pancreas. Eventually, you begin to expand till you explode.
Tis true!
I have proof.
*Cue the Scanners head explosion clip*
Due to the lack of actual sugar, you end up craving natural sugars like a mofo. Which destroy any of the promised weight loss benifits.

Regular sodas don't use natural sugars either, so I don't see how that works. The sugar in stuff like candy and soda is different from the sugar you'd get from an apple or banana.
I forgot to mention that there isn't conclusive evidence pointing towards diet soda being healthy, nor that it's directly harmful.

But to be redundant, drinking massive amounts every day will do some damage, no doubt about it.
People who drink diet pop are generally even unhealthier, because they think, "I can drink more because its healthy!!!"
sup?
Quote by Spamwise
Regular sodas don't use natural sugars either, so I don't see how that works. The sugar in stuff like candy and soda is different from the sugar you'd get from an apple or banana.

(High frutose) corn syrup is a natural, but it requieres human interaction. It is decomposed by enzymes, similar to alcohol fermentation. I'm not 100% sure on that, but I have a rough idea on how both processes work.

Your somewhat right that the natural sugars of fruits are different. It's just there is a series of chemical changes that separate them.
Same source, different stages of chemical composition.
Yeah actual diet soda contains an artificial sweetener called aspartamine which over a period of time will literally put holes in your brain. This has been scientifically proven, examples would be diet coke, coke zero, etc.
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Jackson Performer PS4 (soon to be sold)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
Quote by aaron00lee
Yeah actual diet soda contains an artificial sweetener called aspartamine which over a period of time will literally put holes in your brain. This has been scientifically proven, examples would be diet coke, coke zero, etc.

That's actually not true.

Unless you think that the FDA, American Council on Heath and Science, MIT, and Time Magazine are all wrong.

I don't.
Yes, it's true. You also get testicle shrinkage from Yellow 5 found in hot cheet-oh's and mountain dew. If you get a DIET mountain dew, you get nut cancer and a smaller brain.
I get very tense around apples...Well, I get very tense generally. I think I've fallen into the trap of blaming fruit.

Jeff

Peavey Studio Pro 112 for sale. Anyone want it?
Quote by aaron00lee

Conflict of interest, my friend.
Those findings are too controversial to claim as irrefutible fact.

Brain lesioning has been stated to come from Aminita species of mushrooms as well.
I call bs on that too.
It's difficult to do objective scientific research on something that is illegal outside of religious/ceremonial use.

It's funny that a mass-marketed product is probably literally rotting away the minds of those who drink it, yet most psychotropic drugs are multitudes safer, therapeutic,
much more fun, and they're [just generally] great!
HAHAha.
Where's Tony the Tiger when you need him?
[quote="'Anno[fzk"]']Conflict of interest, my friend.
Those findings are too controversial to claim as irrefutible fact.

Brain lesioning has been stated to come from Aminita species of mushrooms as well.
I call bs on that too.
It's difficult to do objective scientific research on something that is illegal outside of religious/ceremonial use.

It's funny that a mass-marketed product is probably literally rotting away the minds of those who drink it, yet most psychotropic drugs are multitudes safer, therapeutic,
much more fun, and they're [just generally] great!
HAHAha.
Where's Tony the Tiger when you need him?
Source?
Quote by Spamwise
Source?

If your talking about the aspartame controversy, the sources you listed are proof enough.

The amanita (especially the "fly agaric" strain) doing brain lesioning damage is a medival wifes tale. I forgot where I heard it.
Death cap and destroying angel will most likely kill you if you don't get the proper medical treatment. It's more of a flesh/organ necrosis thing if I recall correctly. Massive decomposition of the brain is not the same as simple lesions.

Check this link and you'll get better info on the mushrooms.
http://health.nih.gov/

+EDIT: Scratch that ****. USDOH is crap now. They used to be more reliable. Their archiving skills suck though. I remember when I could find good, objective info on that site.
Last edited by Anno[fzk] at Jun 8, 2008,
Diet sodas taste like shit anyway, I don't understand why people like them.
If you are going to drink a can full of chemicals, it might as well taste half decent.
PSN: Shibuib
Steam: Drag_on88rr@hotmail.com
add me

Elvis Presley aint got no soul, Chuck Berry is rock and roll.

日本語をシグに入れるのは馬鹿やキザ野郎のする事だぜ。
Quote by Blackbullet
Diet sodas taste like shit anyway, I don't understand why people like them.
If you are going to drink a can full of chemicals, it might as well taste half decent.

What can you drink that isn't full of chemicals?
sup?
Quote by ldl67
What can you drink that isn't full of chemicals?

Water? Fruit Juice? Milk?
add me

It's an urban myth. There is nothing wrong with aspartame, they just used to think their was before they tested it fully.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by Blackbullet
Water? Fruit Juice? Milk?

You're saying that H2O, C6H12O6, etc aren't chemicals?
sup?
Not good for you because of the artificial sugar (aspartame).

It's been linked to cancer the most and also to migraines and I think even blindness. Of course you have to drink a lot to suffer the serious effects and besides that there's not really anything else to worry about but of course water is always the better choice.
Quote by Spamwise
That's actually not true.

Unless you think that the FDA, American Council on Heath and Science, MIT, and Time Magazine are all wrong.

I don't.

I do. You'd be amazed at the lengths that those with power will go to in order to keep truths from you.
PIT-DWELLER

Member #1 - UG RIP Cliff Burton Club: 11 members!! (PM Me to join).
Member #6 - Official Angus Young Fan Club.
Member #4 - RATM Club.
Member #4 - 'Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy' club
Quote by ldl67
You're saying that H2O, C6H12O6, etc aren't chemicals?

Stop being so pedantic, you know what I meant.
add me

Quote by del monte

+1, I don't touch that stuff.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Yes, diet sodas have more artificial ingredients that make it "diet" than regular sodas. Artificial ingredients are bad...
My little brother fell asleep in his bowl of diet soda and died so yes.
How about we just say it's suspected of causing cancer and brain problems but is widely arguable? Besides, it's in use in about 600 different food products so that kind of brings in a whole new dimension...
Page 1 of 2