What are your favorite non technical songs to play?

I mean, songs that sound nice, but aren't hard

I say 'Walking on air' by King Crimson
"Aww what’s the matter? You’re the one who started this game. Now you’re losing and you don’t want to play any more."
-Vegeta
Hush by Tool. Not even 3 minutes long but it's the most glorious 2 and a half minutes there is when it comes to bass playing. I like throwing in some delay in the verses, and playing the intro riff in place of the verse one in the second half of the verse. It's not that easy to play, but it's not that hard either, and if you've been playing for a few years it should be a piece of cake. But the main thing with it is it's just so fun and great to get into, especially alongside maynard's vocals.
Rapid Fire Tollbooth (otherwise known as Goliath when played by The Mars Volta) by Omar Rodriguez Lopez.
Its so lax and fun.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Oerend Hard by Normaal, a popular Dutch language rock song about two die-hard bikers that indeed die hard. It's just stomping root notes in a steady straight through kadoeng-kadoeng rhythm. No tiresome exercises, no tricks, no unpleasant bendings, but playing it is utterly satisfying. Any attempts to dress up the bass line only ruïns the song, so I've given up on that. Instead I always take this song as an oppertunity to fool around on stage, do silly dances with the guitarist and making funny faces to the audience. Really great fun.
"For whom the bell tolls" by Metallica. Nice and easy.
Dingwall Afterburner I 5 string
Warwick Blue Cab 30 practice amp
Quote by thefitz
But hold on - you're debating on whether or not to buy a bass or keep your house? That's pretty fucking hardcore!
Battlestar Scratchlactica by Incubus
YYZ by Rush
Disposition by Tool
Saltwater Sound by Zero 7, and a load of their other stuff too.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Hallie Does Hebron by Propagandhi, probably.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Being a rather mediocre musician myself, I'm all on the hand of Haanz.

Guitar:
MIM '09 Fender Telecaster
Laney VC15-110 Old English White '10
Freshman FOP1DN Acoustic

Bass:
Ibanez SRX590
Laney RB4
Tech21 SansAmp BassDriver DI
Boss ODB-3
Brian Wilson by the barenaked ladies. I just love the song so much, and the quirky easy-going bass lines up with the barenaked ladies' feel so well, plus it sounds really cool and has a fun solo.

edit* I should specify, even the solo is easily approachable and doesn't require a lot of "technical" playing.
bad reputation by Thin Lizzy, i rediscovered this line yesterday. great rhythm.
Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.
Perfect Day by Lou Reed is my current favourite that fits the bill. Its really beautiful but quite simple.
"Warning" by Green Day, and my cousin's song "Bat That Has No Ears".
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
In the Midnight Hour by Wilson Pickett.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by Dinkydaisy

You know that's one of my favourite Duck Dunn lines. Its dead easy to play, but getting it in the pocket is not as easy, lol. I remember my first bass teacher saying it was one of the most mis-played bass lines of all time.
Final countdown, what a high energy song

never knew there could be so much umph in root notes
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
Quote by 24fRETSoFfURY
Breaking the Law by Judas Priest. It's just root note pounding but I love hammering that one out for some reason.

Great song, along with a lot of other ones from JP. Their songs just have some kind of energy to them that most don't, hence why they're so much fun to play despite their simplicity. "Heading Out On The Highway" is one of my favorite simple basslines by them, great song in general. Halford has some legendary pipes if you ask me.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Your41Plague12
Great song, along with a lot of other ones from JP. Their songs just have some kind of energy to them that most don't, hence why they're so much fun to play despite their simplicity. "Heading Out On The Highway" is one of my favorite simple basslines by them, great song in general. Halford has some legendary pipes if you ask me.

Definitly, I wish I could sing like that. Jawbreaker is another one of my favourites.
A Portrait of Tracy. I kow it's so bloody simple, but it grooves so easy...

seriously, probably Evil by Interpol and Sunshine of Your Love by Cream.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Everything by the Floyd. Roger's rhythm is very simple, yet effective and catchy.
Quote by SHEEM
Everything by the Floyd. Roger's rhythm is very simple, yet effective and catchy.

True.

I like 'Money' and 'Have a Cigar'

Good music, good band, good bassist
"Aww what’s the matter? You’re the one who started this game. Now you’re losing and you don’t want to play any more."
-Vegeta
Quote by jimmy, the one
True.

I like 'Money' and 'Have a Cigar'

Good music, good band, good bassist

What about Echoes and One Of These Days? Is 2 notes = song? In roger's case, hell yeah!
Alice in Chains - Nutshell

So simple to play, yet sounds so good

Incubus - Megalomaniac

Quite fun aswell, especially the chorus

+1 for disposition aswell, although aren't harmonics considered technical? :P
I love to play I wish by Stevie Wonder.

Not too hard and sounds fantastic.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Stand By Me. It's so... perfect.

Funny that you mention this song. Our band has it in its repertoire too and we play it often, but it is the song I enjoy playing the least of all. Somehow I have the feeling that the simplicity not at all catching the essence of the song. But whatever I tried to dress up the bass line failed. I strongly felt that there was some subtility that eluded me.
Burt now you put this song in the Easy But Fun category, I think I'll have to change my mind about it. When I accept that this song really is simple and that there is nothing more to it than meets the ear, maybe I too can enjoy playing it.
This Darkened Heart- All That Remains. The hardest part of that song is tuning to full D with a crap tuner that cant read much but standard.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Yeah, the first time I heard it I thought it was stupidly cornball. But when you just start having fun with it, it actually gets kind of fun to play. Not to mention frightfully catchy.

This always surprises people considering that the spouse and I have such 'alternative' tastes in music (he's a huge Zappa / Beefheart fan), but that song was our first dance as married couple. Seriously.

And yes, its frightfully catchy as a bass line.
I suck at the bass so everything I play is beginner type stuff.
Piggy by NIN
With or Without You by U2
Quote by Dinkydaisy

not a bad choice i totally forgot about that bass line in the verse its a fun song to play i had to cover it in jazz and blues emsemble at college fun song
Carousel by Blink-182. I love the bass chords and the killer harmonies with the guitar.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by WaitWhat?
George Baker - Little Green Bag.

Slickest bassline ever.

thats the ost amzing bassline ever but ya amazing simple