Hey guys,

this question relates to guitar and keyboard and singing, just music theory in general. Now i understand a harmony is playing two or more notes simultaneously, im wanting to know ( for guitar and singing purposes). How can i find a good harmony?

1.Let say i play or sing the note of C, how will i know what notes are going to work, obviously C up the octaves but what else, what sort of intervallic steps will i use?

Also, kind of the same question.

2.when using a capo, lets say i was playing an open C chord, and i put a capo on fourth fret. I then played the an F major chord shape ( which would be c right). These two sound nice together, why is this? What kind of harmony is this?

If anyone could answer these questions id be most greatful, thanks alot.

c4acr3
Thirds/sixths sound best. Perfect fifths/fourths wont sound like much, as the perfect fifth deindividualises instruments (as in an audience probably wouldnt know if you were playing in unison or in perfect fifths)

Seconds/sevenths sounds the worst and should be avoided at all cost's.
1.Let say i play or sing the note of C, how will i know what notes are going to work, obviously C up the octaves but what else, what sort of intervallic steps will i use?
It depends on what key you are in. If you are in the key of C, it makes sense to sing C D E F G A or B. It makes more sense to sing C E or G (the notes in a C major chord).
However if you are in the Key of Bb, it makes sense to sing Bb C D Eb F G or A, and more sense to sing C Eb or G (the notes in a C minor chord)

In general, harmonize with the notes in the chord.

2.when using a capo, lets say i was playing an open C chord, and i put a capo on fourth fret. I then played the an F major chord shape ( which would be c right). These two sound nice together, why is this? What kind of harmony is this?
I'm not clear on what you're asking, but playing the F major shape with the capo on the 4th fret would actually be A major (A C# E)
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Last edited by Ænimus Prime at Jun 8, 2008,
Quote by Ænimus Prime
It depends on what key you are in. If you are in the key of C, it makes sense to sing C D E F G A or B. It makes more sense to sing C E or G (the notes in a C major chord).
However if you are in the Key of Bb, it makes sense to sing Bb C D Eb F G or A, and more sense to sing C Eb or G (the notes in a C minor chord)

In general, harmonize with the notes in the chord.

I'm not clear on what you're asking, but playing the F major shape with the capo on the 4th fret would actually be A major (A C# E)

oh thats right sorry, say i placed the capo on fourth fret, what shape would i play to harmonise with open c and what shape is the same chord as open but sounds a bit different. thanks
With the capo on the 4th fret, there is no open shape that is a C major chord (in the same way that without a capo, there is no open G# major chord)
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums