Hello, looking for decent cheaper guitar.Let me state at the beginning I have owned several nice guitars, (70's BC Rich,Les Paul,80's Hamer special,and more), and after 28 years I've learned cheapies can be just as good IF you LIKE to work on your own stuff. I like bolt on necks(ultimate repairability by me), Floyd Rose(or decent licence),basswood is not BAD,don't know much about Agathis. A decent solid platform is all I'm looking for. Fit and finish don't mean much unless it screws with sound/playability. I have moved beyond ego attachment/snobbery. Southern boy so budget VERY limited(live in south, live hand to mouth as we say). Last guitars I owned, Charvel model 1, Ibanez rg340, stolen 1993, had nothing good since.PLEASE give honest opinions, been without a LONG time and can't afford $$$.LTD M-100? Schecter damien(thats HIGH end to me now). Want something that won't turn me OFF playing thats all.
Don't EVER go for agathis. Trust me on this one.
"A guitar is just like a hard teddy, isn't it?" - DAAAAAAAN BAKER
What exactly is cheap... I can recommend you two guitars right now, one for 299 and the other for 629. What is your price range?

And since when does southern = low budget?
Man it's not just the fact that the "cheap" guitars are poorly assembled, it's the wood as well. There are some really nice guitars out therre with basswood bodies, but they are quality wood. But really low end guitars are seldom too many different parts of basswood glued together. Same with agathis cept I haven't seen too many high end guitars with agathis bodies.

But yeah man you could always look into squiers, they are moddable. In fact I'm getting one to start mods very soon. but the one's with floading trems are quite rare.
You could get yourself a squier...my bullet is kinda good cuz I moded it a bit.
But they don't have floyd tremolos...people told me that Squier Deluxe are pretty good guitars.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
i would go for a squier, or one of the cheap epiphones. you'd have to get your tools out for the mods though
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
Quote by screamingchinky
Don't EVER go for agathis. Trust me on this one.

Why???
If you're into versatility and repairing your own/modding... I think a Squier stratocaster would do you well.

Brands I'd recommend for cheap guitars:
Click here to find them

-Ibanez
-Schecter
-Squier

Most other makes (B.C Rich and Dean) focus more on 'extreme' looks in their lower end guitars than making a decent instrument (this can also be said for many of their high end guitars).
Quote by OsokDracul
Check out the Agile Les Paul copies or some of the other guitars at www.rondomusic.com

I'm sure something there'll catch your eye.

Huge plus

I like the LTD MH-100 in see-through blue finish. Not being mahogany I can assume its quite bright sounding. The licensed Floyd Rose quality is questionable. You can always replace it with a Original anytime. A pair of new pickup is always required for guitar in this price range. In the end it will go up over $500.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

I've always thought the Yamaha Pacifica was a banging little guitar, and it costs under £200 (don't know how much in your country), and they've even recently upgraded it. It matches most of what you specify, except the Floyd Rose. Being a Stratocaster derivative, it of course has a vintage-style trem. They have a range;

Yamaha Pacifica 012 which you can get for around £100. This, as far as I know, hasn't been given any upgrade. They're supposed to be OK beginner guitars, but not what you'd be after, I don't think.

Yamaha Pacifica 112V is where the 2008 upgrades start. Has a new better quality trem (though still isn't that great if you ask me), better alnico pickups upgraded from the generic nickel ones in the old model, in HSS configuration, with a push-pull coil tap on the bridge humbucker. This guitar costs around £180, and is an alright guitar if you don't mess with the trem too much. I dare say a set of locking tuning heads may sort that out entirely.

Yamaha Pacifica 412V. I'm not sure what's better on this. I think it's just all-round better quality. Costs under £250.

Yamaha Pacifica 612V is where it starts to get heavy. Has an RGX vintage tremolo, Grover locking tuners, and a Seymour Duncan bridge pickup. This guitar costs around £300.

Yamaha Pacifica 812V is the highest-end of the range. Comes fully-loaded with Seymour Duncans, has the RGX trem of course, has Sperzel locking tuners, and costs around £500.

From the 112V upwards are the ones which received the 2008 re-design/upgrade. I've personally played the 012, which I though was alright. I've played both the old 112V and the new one. I was particularly impressed with the new one. The only thing which really let it down was poor tuning-stability if you use the trem. Like I said, I think if you changed the tuning-heads on this to locking ones, that'd solve the issue. The pickups sound good, even though they're just generic alnico ones, and the ciol-tap is a great little addition. I've also played a friend's 2004 812V, and quite frankly it destroys any Fender Strat I've ever played. Really, really lovely guitar. If I ever have a spare £500 laying around, I'm going to buy one.

But yeah, for you, I don't know how tight your budget is, but you should at least think of the 112V. It's a decent guitar in every sense of the word, and with a small amount of upgrades, could probably be an absolutely bitching one.
I'd say look into an Agile. Go here and search for Agile AL-2000. They have a few Floyd-equipped models. Also check out their Valkyrie and Reaper models.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
If you know someone who can work wood well, you could try and have them make you a guitar body out of pine. Pine is a common and cheap wood, and as long as it's a good piece it'll give you good tone: the earliest Telecasters were made out of pine.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Get a Danelectro! Whoo!

Dano '63s are like $250 and are supremely awesome.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Quote by Chris_Parker
Get a Danelectro! Whoo!

Dano '63s are like $250 and are supremely awesome.

Actually, this. This man speaks the truth. Hell, you can even find Danelectro '56 U2 reissues from the 90s on eBay for under $150. If you like the sound, they're worth looking at.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
you can find mim fender strats on craigslist for around 250 usually, they are good guitars
Afew good reccomendations here. Definately check out Rondo. Very good and extremely affordable. I would also check out Jay Turser and Guitar Fetish's Xaviere brand. We've reviewed a bunch of different affordable guitars over at FrugalGuitarist.com.
i'd avoid a floyd copy if you can't afford to get a good one... i'd rather have none than a bad one...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks guy's, I'll check them all out. However I did go back to ESP's website and they now list the m100fm as having a basswood body instead of agathis, so I'm gonna try one out. Dave_Mc, I have had 2 licenced Floyd copies with no probs, tho I will admit I did a work over on 'em.( heat treated the base,swapped the locking blocks). TexasRG, WNC is not known for it's well paying jobs. Wal Mart is seriously one of the better jobs around( I am NOT kidding ). I do pretty good at 12.05hr, it just doesn't go far when you have a family. I'm not whining though, in Cherokee county some families live off $6,500 a YEAR. THATS CREEPIN' POOR!! Oh, I drive a forklift for a living, nothin' fancy.
oh ok, if you're willing to work on it, you sound like you know what you're doing. I struggle to change strings...

good luck!

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't know if you'll read any more on this thread Dave_Mc, but it's nice to see someone on here thats actually nice!! P.S. man my dad worked for Kaman (Ovation) when they were in WNC, I learned a lot from him. Best advice I can give anyone 'bout guitars? Learn as much as you can about repairs!! You can turn a cheapie into gold sometimes! I wasn't joking about having high dollar stuff before I got married but with what I learned from dad didn't NEED to buy high no more!!! LEARN FRETWORK FOR SURE, SAVES A FORTUNE AND FLIPS LOTS OF CHEAP GUITARS!! Check out Stew Mac shop tip's as well. Peace friend.
Great quality guitar for its price is the Ibanez RG2EX1. Looks cool too

Only $300
YEAH
Thanks man, I loved my RG340 but I kinda wanna try something different. UNLESS somebody out there has a trashed 340 they'll cut loose for cheap! I like that model. I think they were originally Roadstar 340 til headstock change and Floyd . Still, Ibanez isn't bad..hmm. I actually wish I ran some kind of guitar "junkyard" God that would be SO cool.
Quote by meowse
I don't know if you'll read any more on this thread Dave_Mc, but it's nice to see someone on here thats actually nice!! P.S. man my dad worked for Kaman (Ovation) when they were in WNC, I learned a lot from him. Best advice I can give anyone 'bout guitars? Learn as much as you can about repairs!! You can turn a cheapie into gold sometimes! I wasn't joking about having high dollar stuff before I got married but with what I learned from dad didn't NEED to buy high no more!!! LEARN FRETWORK FOR SURE, SAVES A FORTUNE AND FLIPS LOTS OF CHEAP GUITARS!! Check out Stew Mac shop tip's as well. Peace friend.

Cheers, I appreciate the kind words. I agree, if you know about setups etc. (or even better, repairs), you can certainly help guitars a great deal.

EDIT: the other thing is, if you're willing to go second hand, you can get some great bargains from 80s guitars, but i'm sure you know that already.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?