Ok. So Im in a hardcore/metal band. If I had to compare my band to any popular, like..... big band, it would be Atreyu. And I'm wondering which would be better to use. Honestly, I don't really see, or, hear, rather, much difference between Overdrive and Distortion. Is it true that Distortion is sort of less quality/lacks in tone compared to Overdrive? I know nothing about it... Well... I know some stuff, but not the answer to this question. I want it to be heavy and i want ti to have a crunch, but i want it to sound good in tone as well. Also, maybe the reason i cant hear much of a difference is because of my ****ty amp. But i don't know. For the record, I'm still saving for the Tube amp... but... I sort of like... ran into an obligation last week where i had to use some of my money... and... im back down to 13 dollars ._. So yeah. Im still saving up, but i wont be any time soon.... anyway, thanks for the help.
טארה ניקול
&
נח ליאם

-1.24.11-
afaik distortion tends to be more gain heavy, which for you would suit your style i presume. i don't really now about either though so i'd probably just wait till someone decent gives advice.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
Quote by Lolopop
Is it true that Distortion is sort of less quality/lacks in tone compared to Overdrive?

It's not a question of quality or lack of tone, but rather the way it works. An overdrive pedal essentially boosts the signal of your guitar, making your amp think it's getting more gain. A distortion pedal uses a clipping circuit to generate distortion. A good analogue distortion pedal is good for solid state amps.

What is the price range that you are looking at?
^Yeah. Distortion is hard clipping. Overdrive is more associated with tube amps, because when they are cranked, the tubes generate gain or overdrive. Overdrive pedals are also used to push lower gain tube amps harder to make more gain or to tighten things up
i noticed your gettin a B-52 soon, sooo, that should do the job, but if you want more distortion, buy and overdrive pedal, put that in front of the amp, and use that to boost the amps distortion or like the other guy said, tighten things up.
Peavey Valveking 212

Ibanez S520EX in grey
Quote by chippythingy
i noticed your gettin a B-52 soon, sooo, that should do the job, but if you want more distortion, buy and overdrive pedal, put that in front of the amp, and use that to boost the amps distortion or like the other guy said, tighten things up.

This man is correct.
Ok, But until I get the B-52, Should I use the MT-2 or an Overdrive Pedal? Like I said, I'm looking to make a heavy, 'crunchy' sound for rythms, but i want crazy highs for solos. If that makes sense.. Sorry if my termonology is off. Im still half asleep... Anyway. Yeah. So basicaly, just answer this for me. Should I stick with the MT-2 right now and save my cash for the B-52, or should I get an Overdrive pedal now? Will the OD be good enough for me on the B-52? I'd try it... but I don't think they have any at the local Guitar Center.. But I'll double check...
טארה ניקול
&
נח ליאם

-1.24.11-
With the B-52, you'd be able to use the MT-2 as a substitute for an overdrive, but that's all it'll be, a substitute. You'll want a mid-heavy overdrive, such as a Tubescreamer.

For you, I'd recommend the same one I'm using, the TS9DX. It's got a control that gives slightly more gain, a mid boost, or a bass boost. It's a divine pedal. I can get a tight high gain sound out of my VC30 with it, oh the blasphemy.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
^ Agree with above technical descriptions. The way I compare these pedals (barney-style) is distortion pedals color your tone into the distortion produced. An OD pedal "pushes" your amp into creating its own unique "overdriven" sound. In fact, some folks actually use an OD Pedal to crank a clean sound from an amp...this is accomplished by setting an OD's levels very low and just turning the volume way up and the pedal...kind of thickens the clean sound to a bitchin level.
Quote by Lolopop
Ok, But until I get the B-52, Should I use the MT-2 or an Overdrive Pedal? Like I said, I'm looking to make a heavy, 'crunchy' sound for rythms, but i want crazy highs for solos. If that makes sense.. Sorry if my termonology is off. Im still half asleep... Anyway. Yeah. So basicaly, just answer this for me. Should I stick with the MT-2 right now and save my cash for the B-52, or should I get an Overdrive pedal now? Will the OD be good enough for me on the B-52? I'd try it... but I don't think they have any at the local Guitar Center.. But I'll double check...

k heres what i think you should do:
1. Until you get the B-52 just use the MT-2 as overdriving an SS amp is rather pointless most of the time as it just makes it clip too much.
2. When you get the B-52, get an OD pedal to tighten things up, add a tad of gain of you want.

Just don't spend any money on gear until you get the B-52, as it will make up most of your tone. Once you have it, then worry about adding stuff on to it (like an OD, EQ, Noise Gate, etc.)
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab