hey,
i'm lookin at gettin a new acoustic guitar.
Having had a crappy (yet fine for a rookie) 'vintage' guitar bought for a hundred quid, I now feel I know what I need in a acoustic, so buyin a cheap one to learn on was great.
based on the music I (try) to learn, bein, jeff buckley, Bob dylan,modest mouse, ryan adams, arcade fire, you get the picture, bluesy, folky kinda stuff.
the followin things I rekon I need:

a cut away,
a better (i.e. LOWER) action,
A straighter!! truss rod, the one in my 'vintage' was won-KEY!and made setting it up impossible!
a smaller body (purhaps?)
the option to connect to an amp, so that wud b an electro acoustic then!
I wont deny i'd like it to look good too, for those days the fingers are too sore to play, but then my guitar changes my mind!

my budget, is upto a grand, as I am NOT lookin at buyin another one for, well EVER!so buyin one which has potential to grow old with is a must.

as you can tell by the posts title, I've been fishin, and found this one
]TAKAMINE EF261S
any opinions, personal experiences with this one?good bad and ugly, feel free!
certainly a newbie here so will take wat ever comes my way!!

cheers, in advance,

TED
A few comments:

• If you're going to pay up to $1000 for a guitar, go for an all-solid guitar. The Takamine model you picked out has laminated sides/backs. Remember, if it doesn't say "solid" on the top/back/side description, it isn't. And you can find plenty of good all-solid models at this range.
  • Personally, I prefer buying a straight acoustic and have pickups installed later. You can actually save money for the same quality. For your budget, you can probably make do with a $800 straight acoustic, which will leave you with up to $200 for some very good pickups out there.
  • Actions and truss rods can always be adjusted by pros in most guitar shops. Don't be too concerned if a guitar you pick off a wall at a local shop doesn't have the "right" action for you, unless it's so off and beyond repair. You should have your guitar set up to your likings at the time of purchase anyway.
  • Choose the type of top wood carefully. "Your" Takamine model has a cedar top, which is good for fingerpicking but not as versatile. If you want to play a wide variety of music, go for solid spruce tops.
Quote by TokyoNeko
A few comments:

• If you're going to pay up to $1000 for a guitar, go for an all-solid guitar. The Takamine model you picked out has laminated sides/backs. Remember, if it doesn't say "solid" on the top/back/side description, it isn't. And you can find plenty of good all-solid models at this range.
  • Personally, I prefer buying a straight acoustic and have pickups installed later. You can actually save money for the same quality. For your budget, you can probably make do with a $800 straight acoustic, which will leave you with up to $200 for some very good pickups out there.
  • Actions and truss rods can always be adjusted by pros in most guitar shops. Don't be too concerned if a guitar you pick off a wall at a local shop doesn't have the "right" action for you, unless it's so off and beyond repair. You should have your guitar set up to your likings at the time of purchase anyway.
  • Choose the type of top wood carefully. "Your" Takamine model has a cedar top, which is good for fingerpicking but not as versatile. If you want to play a wide variety of music, go for solid spruce tops.

He's a Takamine hater. This has been established in another thread. I own the EF-341SC and it's absolutely badass. It runs for about $1,100 but you can talk them down to under $1,000. I played the guitar you linked to before I bought this one and I could hear a big difference in the quality of the sound. In my personal opinion, this guitar sounds as good as some guitars that cost more. If you're going to go Takamine and your budget is up to a grand, choose this one. Also, mine had a pretty low action when I bought it and it's stayed that way.

However, what I would suggest you do is go to a guitar website and start reading reviews. Say you have a Guitar Center near you. Go to their website and find a few guitars from each of the major brands that look good and have good ratings. I say look good, because I know, at least for me and it seems like for you too, looks definitely influence the buying decision so you might as well get that out of the way. After you do that, you should have an idea of what you're looking for when you go to make the purchase. Figure out whatever questions you need to be asking and finally and most importantly, rely on your ear to tell you which guitar is the best. Your ear won't lie.

Good luck.
Quote by JHogg11
He's a Takamine hater. This has been established in another thread.

Correction: I believe THAT particular model to be overpriced and not the best value for the money AT THAT PRICE RANGE. THAT has been established in another thread. Meanwhile, in other threads, I do sometimes recommend Takamines at about $300-$500 price ranges.
Quote by TokyoNeko
Correction: I believe THAT particular model to be overpriced and not the best value for the money AT THAT PRICE RANGE. THAT has been established in another thread. Meanwhile, in other threads, I do sometimes recommend Takamines at about $300-$500 price ranges.

Out of curiosity, if you were going to buy a guitar for under $1K (mine was at $950 when I bought it), what would you pick?
I already have a Martin 000-15 (which can be had for around $850 at certain stores), and you can find decent pickups at $150. You can do the same for the Larrivee 03 models.
Quote by JHogg11
Out of curiosity, if you were going to buy a guitar for under $1K (mine was at $950 when I bought it), what would you pick?

Just couse you got 1000$ dosent mean that a 900 guitar is ganna be bettor than a 600 guitar that dosent make any ****ing sense if you ask me, are you saying that 960 guitar is bettor than a 940 guitar.
**** is overpriced and your guitar is way overpriced, it probly just cost that much because some big shot played the same model like, gibson makes this one John lennon guitar for like 3000 and its probly the worst guitar they make on paper, cedar top with laminate sides and back and it only cost that much because it was one of lennons favriotes.
in my opinion..smaller guitars tend to be more for amplifications...i don;t know about you...but i rather a dreadnought guitar that has a deep warm tone..

try walking into a shop and just trying whatever you can...and choose whatever suits you best..
Quote by the-kid44P
Just couse you got 1000$ dosent mean that a 900 guitar is ganna be bettor than a 600 guitar that dosent make any ****ing sense if you ask me, are you saying that 960 guitar is bettor than a 940 guitar.
**** is overpriced and your guitar is way overpriced, it probly just cost that much because some big shot played the same model like, gibson makes this one John lennon guitar for like 3000 and its probly the worst guitar they make on paper, cedar top with laminate sides and back and it only cost that much because it was one of lennons favriotes.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. I only stated the price to show that the price was under $1,000 when I bought it. The price now is around $1,100 making it out of the "under $1,000" group. I'm not even trying to argue about about the quality of the instrument. We've already gone over this and some say it's overpriced and I say I love the way my guitar sounds. Also, just because you can point out one guitar that costs $3K and sucks, doesn't mean that more expensive guitars aren't generally better, because they are. This does not mean that every guitar that costs $1,500 is better than every guitar costs $300, but most are. I'm not sure where you got the idea that I was bragging about spending $1,000 for a guitar. Since the original poster said his limit was $1,000 I thought my situation was relevant. There's no need to get heated.
Quote by NoobOnZone
in my opinion..smaller guitars tend to be more for amplifications...

But that's what most Takamines are built for: to be amplified as acoustic-electrics. For that purpose, even this particular model is fine. I just think it's a bit overpriced, that's all.
wooooooo!hey guys,
first cheers for all th responces,
second, to clear somethin up, by budget is £1000. it seems that most u guys are from the states, or atleast dealin with dollars US. so that would make my budget, approx $2000.

doesnt mean i WANT to spend that kinda dosh, just thats my budget, MAX!
my reason for wantin an electro acoustic, is really only cos I plan to upgrapde my amp once I get my tele and feel that havin the choice of pluggin BOTH my tele and an acoustic would b a nice option.

I have read good things aboot takamines, especially as electro acoustic, and this cooltube thing they rave on about. the take that I picked out (the EF261S), I can get for £550, thats as good as $1100 US, with a hard case (not important, but thrown in with it).

TOkyoNeko- cheers for ur initial advice, bout the solid/ non solid body, being good for finger pickin.
my style is, I would say 70/30 in favour of pickin, so that would not be a big disaster for me, personally.

HAs anyone GOT this takamine guitar?wats the pick up like?i'm guessin its prob jus a bog standard under-bridge piezo, any comments, opinions?

wat is its pre amp like?its not the cooltube, is it rubbish??

The amount I'm able to spend, it doesnt mean I have to blow it all though. I'm jus lookin at gettin th things I'm lookin for in my initial post. if that means only spendin $1000 rather than $2000, then so be it! i'm wary of special editions with 'special prices' and totally get that in't end its a personal opinion. any other reccomendations or personal opinions on the takamine chosen please cary on postin!

TEDDY
You're welcome. Good to know that my comments have been helpful. You were talking POUNDS instead of dollars, so that changes the perspective a bit then.

Anyway, given your current preferences, actually the EF261S is not a bad choice... I mean, you mainly fingerpick, the amplification is of greater concern, etc. And for all my criticisms about this model, I've always maintained that Takamines make excellent acoustic-electrics.

Having said all that, if you want to buy a guitar for life, then don't be afraid of maxing out your budget and get something that you will be happy with for a long long time. I can't make any guarantees, but I'm willing to bet that there will come a time when you are going to long for quality unplugged sound, and I make no apologies in saying that Takamines fall a bit short here. (I speak from experience, as that's what eventually led to my graduation from Ovation.) With that budget, there are so many great brands and models to choose from (e.g. Martin, Taylor, Larrivee, Gibson, etc.) that you just need to go to your nearest guitar store and play as many as possible.

Also, if I were you, I'd spend up to maybe 900 pounds on a high-quality acoustic (without pre-installed pickups), then spend the rest on a good pickup of your choice. I'm not the only one of the belief that this method will give you the best value and quality for your money, and it's a good bet you'll end up with a treasure you'll enjoy for a long time.
hey, thanks again for the advice aboot th guitar and seperate pickup, cud well be an option. I seem to b particularly drawn to this guitar on the basis of an ex flat mate havin it, and enjoyin its tone, and ease of use. Although it did seem to struggle to play beyond the 12th fret, even bein a cutaway. an example of its tone, listen here takamine EF261S bein played by VETS IN HONG KONG.

and as i seem to be an exhaustingly slow learner, mayb I wont b outgrowing this guitar anytime soon....I'm gonna go see if I can find out what pick up it has first.....
^ i dont know that sounds pretty bad for an acoustic IMO, i dont know what other people might think but after listening to it for a while it dosent sound like much of acoustic(literaly it dosent sound like an acoustic IMO).
Its pretty dissapointing couse this guy did this with good recording equipment it sounds more natural towars the end tough but still.
teddy09, with that kind of price range, maybe you should mosey on to AGF http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24

You've gotten some good advice on this thread, but to be honest, UGF is mostly frequented by younger guitarists who are far from having £1000 budgets. AGF might be a more helpful crowd for opinions on guitars in your price range.

Also check out the Takamine forum, it's quite new but chances are greater that you'll run into people who have played that model exactly, or ones similar to it. http://www.takamineforum.com/forum/
once again, cheers for quick responces,
kid, you said it 'literally doesnt sound like an acoustic'? outa interest wat do ya rekon it sounds like?do you have a cutaway electro acoustic for aboot £1000/$2000 US ya cud recommend?

also cheers for the heads up on the take and other forum fella. It does seem a bit of an issue when tryin to get help on higher end acoustics here!everyones knows their les pauls from their strats but try and get some help with acoustics....
I dont know i say it sounds like a bad piano(maybe its just the way the guy set it up, or maybe its just a crap guitarIMO), but i guese every guitar has its unique sound, some people might like it, but thats what it sounds to me.
damn i dont know with that you could get a number of really great guitars, id probly get one of these ( if i had that kind of money where it wouldnt be a problem)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Martin-JC16RE-Aura-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=513313

tried one out and it was pretty awesome, id buy it in a nick, if i had money but then again id buy **** load of other guitar and guitar related stuff if i had the money. im not sure if it was this one or the maple one tough, but do what some other guy said and go to the AGF website youd probly get bettor suggestions there.

hell man if your ganna frieken be buying a guitar with that kind of money without playing it first and on order check this place out, if your ganna order it might aswell.

http://elderly.com/vintage/cats/10U.html

go to AGF website tell people your budget what you want out of it, send them the link ask them what they would get for the kind of guitar you described, hell thats what I would do but then again im just an 17 year old kid, heck if i know.
Last edited by the-kid44P at Jun 12, 2008,
hey kid, man dont beat urself down, all opinions wanted. I'm not the hugest fan of Martin guitars, (gotta b the only one on't planet rite!?) but i've played this one martin III and it was pretty sweet, even in my hands! the search continues....
Quote by teddy09
hey kid, man dont beat urself down, all opinions wanted. I'm not the hugest fan of Martin guitars, (gotta b the only one on't planet rite!?) but i've played this one martin III and it was pretty sweet, even in my hands! the search continues....

you're not the only one, i wasnt a huge fan when i was looking, i liked the takamine and gibsons
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by twinturboaudi
you're not the only one, i wasnt a huge fan when i was looking, i liked the takamine and gibsons

hey man, ah this is wat i was lookin for, someone who freakin OWNS guitars in the same kinda range!
i see you got a couple of takamines, one of em's a 12 string rite?the other, wats that like? is it cooltube or ct4 pre amp?wat do you rekon of its tone, and wats its WORST points?i'm still tempted by the EF261S, like the slightly smaller body.
rite guys, i've done it, i've bought it (ahh), paid £500for it. leavin more money for my tele hope it turns up!
..........Nearly 5 years later. how did you find the guitar? im looking at buying one my self now
Quote by JHogg11

Yamaha LL16. Solid Engleman spruce top, solid rosewood back and sides, ebony bridge and fingerboard. Fabulous guitars, and mostly overlooked. Oh, and you get a very good Yamaha case with it.