Alright, I'll make this quick...

Budget is $50-100/pedal. If you suggest multiple pedals in a post, then specify the price range overlap.

Effects needed:
-delay
-flanger/phaser/chorus (I really have no idea, but only one of them)
-noise suppressor
-compressor (not sure, if anyone wants to help me decide, please coax me)
-reverb (amp reverb not the greatest, would like foot control for certain songs)
-fuzz (needed without a doubt)

By this, do you think I should eliminate anything?

I play anything and everything. I don't want you to say "get another amp", the VK is great for what I use it for, and I am happy with my amp's tone (besides some feedback ).

My ideas (not anything great):
delay: Ibanez AD9 analog delay
Chorus: EHX Small Stone
noise suppressor: Boss NS-2
Compressor: Danelectro DJ-9 "surf and turf" compressor
Reverb: EHX Holy Grail Reverb (willing to spend a bit more for a great reverb)
Fuzz: BYOC Fuzz Face clone (off ebay)

Alright, so...

Look at mine, see what you think...change what you like, suggest what you like, but keep in the parameters.
I AM BUYING EVERYTHING USED

Thanks, and sorry for the wall of text
Last edited by dudey5691 at Jun 8, 2008,
You could also look into the boss digital delay pedals. Analog will probably sound better, but the digital delay pedals offer greater versatility afaik.

It would help if you would specify the exact sound(s) you're trying to achieve with the pedals.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
Quote by Dardarian
You could also look into the boss digital delay pedals. Analog will probably sound better, but the digital delay pedals offer greater versatility afaik.

It would help if you would specify the exact sound(s) you're trying to achieve with the pedals.

I'm pretty sure I want to go analog because I used a digital delay and I did not like it too much, at the time.

I play a lot of Muse, Metallica, and some experimental alternative rock/metal/blues/progressive stuff I write on my own...if that helps any

**I completely forgot that I wanted to get a fuzz, too
well for noise gate, get the ISP Decimator.
Much better than the NS-2
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by dudey5691
I'm pretty sure I want to go analog because I used a digital delay and I did not like it too much, at the time.

I play a lot of Muse, Metallica, and some experimental alternative rock/metal/blues/progressive stuff I write on my own...if that helps any

**I completely forgot that I wanted to get a fuzz, too

I believe the guy in Muse uses a Zvex Fuzz factory, a little more then $100 but I love mine, definetly worth it

http://www.musictoyz.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=ZVEX20&Category_Code=Zvex+Pedals
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
well for noise gate, get the ISP Decimator.
Much better than the NS-2

That's what I have heard, but I probably mind the minuscule tone coloring from it...I really cannot jump $75 for it, though....yet.

I might need two later in life anyway

I believe the guy in Muse uses a Zvex Fuzz factory, a little more then $100 but I love mine, definetly worth it

He runs a Mason (i think) guitar modded with a Fuzz Factory, into a pedalboard with another Fuzz Factory, into a Diezel.

How does the Fuzz Face compare to the Fuzz Factory? Tone-wise?

I know I shouldn't really be worrying about price, but this is 1pedal/month, and I'm going on hopefully $110/month. (no job, yet, but looking!)

But if the tone is not significantly different, I will just go save some money.
Quote by wilmearz
its a "manson" guitar as in http://www.mansons.co.uk/- i went last week, awesome shop...

Any how the electo harmonix big muff can do some Muse stuff like "newborn" very well indead but isn't that versityle. Matt certainly does not use the fuzz factory on every song and so it is not necessary for all Muse stuff. However you do need a fairly high gain tube amp. The fuzz face can also do some Muse stuff but both the fuzz face and the big muff are not that versityle when compared to the fuzz factory which can sound like the big muff and the fuzz face as well as do other crazy things!

+1 for looking in to some boss digital delay pedals. Matt has a dd-3 in his rig as well as the line 6 DDL4.

I was close, I knew it was something like that. Matt's rig is so ****ing insane, it's awesome.

I cannot get the DL4, used even, but how's the DD-3? I've only used the cheaper Line 6 delay.
Would analog still be able to play Muse stuff well?
Quote by wilmearz
i think the dl4 is analog, not 100% sure tho.. i think the dd-3 is pretty good, may be better for the price thogh, i don't know much about delays sorry! But boss's generally give a fairly solid performance if not amazing. Plenty of pros use boss so they arn't that bad. there is better though. Sorry i can't be of more help.

I don't know, but u might want to look in to an over drive for your valveking, never seemed to me to have a very use like tone when i had one.

I have a Bad Monkey, and I already have a very nice un-fuzzed Muse tone.

Yeah, Boss is pretty awesome, but I just don't want my sound to become over-processed by the digital pedals, if you get what I mean.
BYOC Fuzz Face- Good idea.
EHX #1 Echo-$100
EHX Small CLone-$84
ISP Decimator-$124, over budget but it is worth it.
EHX Holy Grail - $119 worth being over budget.
Don't really need a comp but the MXR Dyna Comp is a good choice.
Why not get a Holy Grail + if you're willing to spend a bit more? I mean, there's the progression of Holy>Holy+>Holier>Holiest Grail, but it adds another type of delay, so you get the Holy Grail with an added function instead of getting the basic Holy Grail or spending like $50 more on the Holier Grail (which is the one that I personally want).
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Quote by wilmearz
i think the dl4 is analog, not 100% sure tho.. i think the dd-3 is pretty good, may be better for the price thogh, i don't know much about delays sorry! But boss's generally give a fairly solid performance if not amazing. Plenty of pros use boss so they arn't that bad. there is better though. Sorry i can't be of more help.

I don't know, but u might want to look in to an over drive for your valveking, never seemed to me to have a very use like tone when i had one.

The DL4 is digital, but the DD-3 should be fine for what he needs anyway.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by dudey5691
My ideas (not anything great):
delay: Ibanez AD9 analog delay
Chorus: EHX Small Stone
noise suppressor: Boss NS-2
Compressor: Danelectro DJ-9 "surf and turf" compressor
Reverb: EHX Holy Grail Reverb (willing to spend a bit more for a great reverb)
Fuzz: BYOC Fuzz Face clone (off ebay)

The AD9 is great, unless you think you need 2 seccond infinite delays. The Stone is also great. Skip the NS-2, and shield your guitars pickup and control cavities instead. Fudge on a compressor, if you don't really need one, then save your money. Good reverb, make sure it's in the effects loop. Alright on the fuzz, but do you really want a vintagy fuzz? Adding a cheap Muff might be an idea, for a more modern fuzz tone. You can also get a Zvex Fuzz Factor for less than $200 these days, which is feasible if you cut the compressor and noise supressor.
Hey man, check out the Seymour Duncan Tweak Fuzz, because it has like six different fuzz pedals in one unit, plus it's true bypass, so it won't kill your tone. Brand new it's only $99.99, so if you are getting used it would be great on the price.

As for a compressor, they cost too much, and aren't realy useful. If you're signal is that bad, buy a signal or treble boost, and save yourself from buying that later on for solos. A good example is the EHX booster, which is like $59.99, or Seymour Duncan's pickup booster, which is useful for up to 25dB, which is totally awesome, for $89.99 brand new, so used will again be cheaper.

The EHX Small stone is a great chorus for the price, and it's proven too... by Kurt Cobain, Kim Thaliy of Soundgarden, so on...

If all else fails, Danelectro makes great, CHEAP, and extremely versatile pedals for just about anything. And they have cool names too... As for order, which one are you wishing you need to copy that riff or make up you're own? I'd go with the delay or fuzz first, unless you have great amp distortion then leave the fuzz until later.

Have fun shopping dude...

My stuff....

Epiphone 1965 SG custom shop reissue
Gibson SG standard
Fender 1991 JP-90 bass
Vox AD-30VT w/11 f/x
Epiphone Blues Custom 30
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Danelectro Black licorice
Boss Hothead
whatever else I can borrow from people...

P.S. (what about a wah pedal dude? Go with Vox!! It sounds better than Dunlop by far, Hendrix used it!)
Last edited by wannaberocker19 at Jun 9, 2008,