Hey,

Ive been considering purchasing a trace elliot head for gigging and that, although a friend of mine keeps insisting that the quality has went seriously downhill since gibson took them over...

Im sure this has come up before although i just want some clarification, are they still worth buying?

If so, can anyone recommend me any?

Thanks
ive never played one exept for a small combo but so far as i know their excellent!!
The gibson time was a bit of a dark one but the peavey took them over and quality has since shot up.

I think the gibsons have that nasty, green carpet sorta covering on them. Peavey then went back to vinyl.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Trace Elliot is on my GAS list.
I think the make excellent Amps.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
They are on my list of amps to try out when I get £1500 to spend on a rig. They sound good. The specs are great. It is a matter of personal taste after that.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I have a trace elliot head, and i must say it is one of the best heads i have ever had the pleasure of playing or owning. The tone i can get out of it is incredible and it never ceases to amaze me. If you do some digging around you can find an older model that works perfect, or you can just find one of the post-gibson models, however i recommend doin some lookin around to find an older one, thats what i did and mine sound, imo, so much better than the newer ones. But overall these are great heads
If you want the quality pre-Gibson standard of TE, get your self an Ashdown, the UK makers of TE formed Ashdown after Gibson bought it
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
If you want the quality pre-Gibson standard of TE, get your self an Ashdown, the UK makers of TE formed Ashdown after Gibson bought it

But they sound fundamentally different to TE. Trace Elliot's standard is back to where it was in the pre Gibson days now, though the sound is a little different.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Trace Elliots are some of the sexiest sounding amps out there, l love them better than Ampeg. The next amp upgrade will include a Trace Elliot head.
If i ever have the money to space for it, I plan on getting an excessively powerful TE rig just cause I can, and cause I'd never have to get another one. I've played them quite a bit and definitely would place them on the level of Ampeg, and from there its opinion, though I agree with anarkee that TE is far sexier than Ampeg. Try one out, definitely worth it if you like it and can afford it.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
Thanks for all the feedback

This was what i had hoped as ive always thought trace amps seem undeniably cool...must get trying them out then!
I was in a music store once, and there was a guy scoping out a Trace Elliot, but he wasn't quite convinces, so the bass guy as the store took the literal worst, actual Hello Kitty bass off the wall, and played a slap riff through the trace, and honestly, it was unbelievable. The tone was so damn fat, even with that ****ty hello kitty bass.The guy was effing sold and bought it after that.
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
I played through a trace elliot 1210 with a 5-string corvette today and now I have a SERIOUS case of GAS.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
i currently run an ibanez edb405 into the trace AH 500-7 head, and from there into the 1028 H 2x10 cab. ****ing awesome tone. after i brought it home, i was playing for such a long time through it, it was just so intense, and the sound was so heavy, but still so articulate and clear. just turning the pre-shape on gives a really nice tone, and having the graphic eq footswitchable gives a lot of tonal options. but i mainly keep the graphic on with the bass a bit down. its so heavy! even my jazz bass sounded like it had bassbuckers (albight ones that give me the clicking sound that korn's bassist has) then, after i plugged my guitar into it, turned on my od pedal, i had probably the heaviest metal tone i've ever heard. i even tuned the strings up a whole step to F# standard, still sounded extremely heavy, even on clean.
so essentially, its a great amp, and yes, ever since peavy bought it from gibson, quality has totally gone up. its totally worth getting the amp.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Trace Elliots are amazing. Just listen to Brad Smith's tone on the first two Blind Melon albums.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
This was a bit of a necropost...

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
my main rig is a trace AH500-7 head running through a trace 4x10 cab. i got the cab for cheap a few years back along with a very old trace 150 watt head, and since upgraded the head. i'm very happy with both, but i wish i'd gone for the 12 band eq rather than the 7 band. that said, it's still a damn good rig- good tone, and it's built like a tank. apparently trace elliot destruct-tested their new heads by throwing them off cranes, and they had to throw it from 50 odd feet before it suffered some (minor) damage.
the newer trace heads also have a dial on the back which allows you to control the brightness of the green backlights, and when you set it to 100% it literally lights up the practice room like there's a lightsabre glowing inside the head.
Quote by gm jack
This was a bit of a necropost...
It's only a few weeks...I expect the threadstarter is still looking.

I'd only buy used Trace - because the price of new ones have come down you can get used stuff really really cheap. The old ones are meant to be the best ones, but I haven't played enough of them to know first hand.
Quote by smb

I'd only buy used Trace - because the price of new ones have come down you can get used stuff really really cheap. The old ones are meant to be the best ones, but I haven't played enough of them to know first hand.

...It has almost been two months

Anyway, I'm still looking for a great deal on a trace-elliot head and a good 210 or 115 to go with it.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Quote by smb

The ones pre and post Gibson are supposed to be great, while the Gibson era ones are the ones to look out for (in a negative way).

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by poopsmith666
I was in a music store once, and there was a guy scoping out a Trace Elliot, but he wasn't quite convinces, so the bass guy as the store took the literal worst, actual Hello Kitty bass off the wall, and played a slap riff through the trace, and honestly, it was unbelievable. The tone was so damn fat, even with that ****ty hello kitty bass.The guy was effing sold and bought it after that.

That's salesmanship there
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115