Im in the market for a new guitar, particularly a Red MIM Fender Stratocaster with a maple fretboard, But, I have a question. What do you think about the pickups on the MIM strat? Im wanting the three single coils by the way. Are they good? Should I get new ones if I buy it? Just need an opinion.

Thanks
Quote by Ghold125
new pickups won't do much with your amp X(

a harsh truth. IMO the stock pickups are OK, but im upgrading mine.
i've been pretty happy with the SCs in my HSS, but i did swap out the stock HB for a Duncan. I realize your not looking to get an HSS but for others - that stock HB is pretty bad.

amps will make 10 times the difference over new pickups most any time.

Instead of changing your pickups, you should sell your MG and get a new amp. It will help your tone alot more than changing pickups.
"Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel."- Jimi Hendrix
i bought my MIM strat in september last year, and its a great guitar, never goes out of tune and perfectly reliable. i think i was lucky with that tho, i've heard that MIM strats can have bad tuning problems.

i thought about upgrading to lace sensors, but after talkin with the "old man" in the guitar shop you'd be better off buying a better guitar before changing pick-ups as they wouldn't make such a difference.

back to your problem, as everybody else has said, get a tube amp, and then think about pickups. the MG is crap, i had one and i'm glad i got rid of mine.
Quote by mfox4000
i bought my MIM strat in september last year, and its a great guitar, never goes out of tune and perfectly reliable. i think i was lucky with that tho, i've heard that MIM strats can have bad tuning problems.

i thought about upgrading to lace sensors, but after talkin with the "old man" in the guitar shop you'd be better off buying a better guitar before changing pick-ups as they wouldn't make such a difference.

back to your problem, as everybody else has said, get a tube amp, and then think about pickups. the MG is crap, i had one and i'm glad i got rid of mine.

The old man in the guitar shop would tell you to spend more money though, wouldn't he

Fact is, you need to upgrade the amp first mate. Get a nice amp and then worry about pickups. I've upgraded my Ibanez GRG170DX's pickups with some nice Swinesheads. Frankly, the guitar sounds like a 6-800 quid guitar now. Fantastic. But you can only really hear that change and improvment because it's being played through a good amp. Bear that in mind.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
The mim strats are nice. i had to have the ends of the frets files down cuz the neck shrunk a little but since then it has been an awesome guitar. A tube amp would definitely do more for the tone than new pickups. Gfs makes some good pickups for pretty cheap from what i've been told. i plan on gettin some myself in a couple weeks probably
Quote by Kurapica
The old man in the guitar shop would tell you to spend more money though, wouldn't he

Fact is, you need to upgrade the amp first mate. Get a nice amp and then worry about pickups. I've upgraded my Ibanez GRG170DX's pickups with some nice Swinesheads. Frankly, the guitar sounds like a 6-800 quid guitar now. Fantastic. But you can only really hear that change and improvment because it's being played through a good amp. Bear that in mind.

Yeah i had a guy in a guitar shop telling me that putting seymour duncs in my les paul copy was a waste of time when they had some perfectly good epiphones available to me for "a good price"

Needless to say with the duncs it sounds better than an epi, and it plays as good as one anyway. a good amp is crucial though - if you cant tell that the MG sounds sub-par then you wont notice the difference in a pickup change
Most of the MIM strats I've had were loaded with "fine" pickups. If you get a MIM strat, consider upgrading down the line.
Your amp needs an upgrade first. But the stock pickups don't sound too bad. But they are made terribly. As in two magnets stuck on with glue, glue everywhere. The guitar is great for the money though...
supergerbil - not knocking you at all but what do you mean 'glue everywhere'?

can you post a link or copy in a review or something?

again, not doubting i just wanna know.

and are you talking about older MIMs or newer ones? 2004 on.

PS - i've been extrememly happy with my MIM strat and yes there are lemons out there just like any other guitar no matter what the $$. Also, i do not seem to have any issues with my frets sticking out as others have mentioned before. my neck is smooth as silk.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
supergerbil - not knocking you at all but what do you mean 'glue everywhere'?

can you post a link or copy in a review or something?

again, not doubting i just wanna know.

and are you talking about older MIMs or newer ones? 2004 on.

PS - i've been extrememly happy with my MIM strat and yes there are lemons out there just like any other guitar no matter what the $$. Also, i do not seem to have any issues with my frets sticking out as others have mentioned before. my neck is smooth as silk.

Here is a pic of the pickups base. They still sound ok though, and the rest of the guitar is fantastic. If you want a review go on harmony central or here
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
wow dude - big pic but it def shows detail. i don't think mine look like that at all, but next time in there (next few days actually) i will look again.

so that is a new '08 MIM strat?

yes, in chrome red. Love it. I have sold my gibson les paul because of it (it never leaves it hardcase)
I have a red MIM strat, its beautiful to look at and play!
/CENTER]
Originally, the pic was 5 mb. That was after down sizing. But you can't see all the detail ona small one
Quote by beckyjc
Well i was talking about the pups, but both are pathetic tbh.

Ooooh, just cos you have a nice CIJ Jag and a sweet amp

I actually stumbled across one of your vids on Yuotube whilst looking at clips of the VC30, nice sound!