im trying to learn to walk on bass. what are some good songs or excersizes to start learning to walk?
Arbor A410 Bass
Dinosaur 20 Watt Bass Amp
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Squier Bullet

Excuse me sir, have you been thinking tonight?
Walking is like the two note groups going up a blues scale right?

Like:

|---------------------------------------|
|------------------2-2------------------|
|---------2-2-4-4-------4-4--2-2--------|
|0-0-4-4----------------------------4-4-|
learn the major/minor/blues/pentatonic scales.
noodle around with various scales and see what sounds good with a steady quarter note, eighth note, or sixteenth note pattern.
listening to various blues artists would probably help too.
Quote by O-52-A-50-R
Walking is like the two note groups going up a blues scale right?

Like:

|---------------------------------------|
|------------------2-2------------------|
|---------2-2-4-4-------4-4--2-2--------|
|0-0-4-4----------------------------4-4-|

yes, it's not necessarily 2 note groups though. for example, in Catch 22's "Walking Away" the bass line goes somewhat like this:
|--------------------------------------|
|----5-6-8------10---------------------|
|--6-------8-11----11------------------|

Simple chords: Bb major and C minor
Quote by food1010
yes, it's not necessarily 2 note groups though. for example, in Catch 22's "Walking Away" the bass line goes somewhat like this:
|----5-6-8------10---------------------|
|--6-------8-11----11------------------|

Simple chords: Bb major and C minor

Thanks That's a cool song btw I might check them out.
There is a good thread by Bales (JazzRockFeel) out there on walking bass lines. Check it out, it comes up easily in search

I would definitely start with a 12 bar blues; getting the chord progression and passing notes are much easier than your typical jazz tune.

You do need to know a bit about scale and chord construction to get a really nice sounding walking bass line. There's a good Hal Leonard book written by Ed Frieland on how to create and practice walking bass lines that is worth a look.

What cemented it for me was to start with a "two feel" (root to third or root to fifth) and then work in the other notes of the chord to build the line. You then start being able to hear where the four beat walking bassline will go logically. It take practice though!

And check out the last part of Led Zeppelin's "The Ocean". JPJ's bass line is a classic walking bassline with kicks and triplets thrown in. Its fun as hell to play.
Quote by anarkee
There is a good thread by Bales (JazzRockFeel) out there on walking bass lines. Check it out, it comes up easily in search

I would definitely start with a 12 bar blues; getting the chord progression and passing notes are much easier than your typical jazz tune.

You do need to know a bit about scale and chord construction to get a really nice sounding walking bass line. There's a good Hal Leonard book written by Ed Frieland on how to create and practice walking bass lines that is worth a look.

What cemented it for me was to start with a "two feel" (root to third or root to fifth) and then work in the other notes of the chord to build the line. You then start being able to hear where the four beat walking bassline will go logically. It take practice though!

And check out the last part of Led Zeppelin's "The Ocean". JPJ's bass line is a classic walking bassline with kicks and triplets thrown in. Its fun as hell to play.

Ugh, "The Ocean". What a masterpiece. Those triplets get me every time!
Woo Hoo is a good song for getting walking bass lines down, that's how I learned. The most important part pf getting walking bass lines sounding good would be hand position.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it