So I'm watching the F1 race on TV that's taking place in Montreal right now, and I was wondering if the cars are automatic or manual, and are they allowed to drive over the grass?
I think they're manual, but the gear-change is on the steering wheel.

And they can drive on the grass, within reason. Like you can't just take a short cut across the grass like you can on GTA
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
RED MILITIA FACTION
Manual but clutchless. Also, they dont run well on grass, they have to have a fair amount of speed or the wheels just spin.
Quote by nightraven
can't stand public showers
and yes i do have a small penis

Quote by thewho182
people in public showers make fun of my big dick

Quote by kyle33093
i would if pee pee was bigger

I'm rather sure they're manual transmission.

And they are allowed to drive over the grass, but they wouldn't want to, as it would tear up the front wing, suspension, etc..
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
Yeah, they must be manual. Automatic cars can't go as fast. The on board computer won't be able to keep up with the speed of the car.
It's called semi-auto i think, supposedly it changes gear a few hundrethes of a second faster, but i'm not sure if there is a seperate clutch.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
Manual, the clutch and gear shift is all done with paddles on the steering wheel.

Driving over the grass isn't advisable, or allowed unless they've crashed, they can't cut corners or anything.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by Neillya1
Manual but clutchless. Also, they dont run well on grass, they have to have a fair amount of speed or the wheels just spin.

they do have a clutch, just not a foot operated one

and they wouldnt want to drive on the grass

i can see how formula 1 confuses americans, who clearly aren't used to the idea of racing cars turning right
92% of teenagers have moved on to rap

Put this in your sig if you realise this is because rock has become stale and unoriginal, while hip hop is continually evolving and truer to it's roots
its called semi automatic, cause unlike a manual where u hav to change the gears urself this one automaticaly shifs up or down, but u still hav 2 manualy tell it when u want 2 change. they work on track cars, but on the road they are pointless.
MAIN GUITARS:
PRS Single Cut Trem
Ibanez PGM-301
Rickenbacker 650D
Jackson RR5
Taylor 12 String acoustic
Yamaha RBX 5string bass
MAIN AMP:
Hughes And Kettner Trilogy w/ 4x12 HnK cab
Quote by sg255
It's called semi-auto i think, supposedly it changes gear a few hundrethes of a second faster, but i'm not sure if there is a seperate clutch.

This. There's no manual clutch, so the transmission is not technically manual. However, the gear paddles manually select the gear by cycling through them. The automatic clutch is able to disengage and re-engage in tenths of a second, much faster than a manual clutch, but the manual gear selection allows for the drivers skill in applying the correct gear to be used.
Quote by frusciante39

i can see how formula 1 confuses americans, who clearly aren't used to the idea of racing cars turning right

lol
Quote by frusciante39

haha
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Quote by frusciante39

Actually, they only make left turns. P'WNED!
"...and I've never been very smart, but I connect you with your shadow"
from "Untitled #11" by John Frusciante
Quote by frusciante39

Soooooo true....

manual with clutch....
and they cant shortcut their way in the grass or they'll get disqualified
actually its left

in the words of jeff dunham (youtube it) "Look, they're making a left turn. I wonder whats gonna happen next!?"

Edit: beat to it
Quote by frusciante39

Now that's just a cheap shot. Don't take this conversation to childish places, because you know it's not true and you're just trying to start something.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by JimmydeGL

Fail.
Quote by alteredstates

no one races an automatic anything ever
Quote by Wylde14
obviously if you own an expensive guitar, 500 watt amp, and power tab, you are an unstoppable force of shred
Quote by frusciante39

Jerk I get it and I'm american. Not all americans are flag wavin' beer chuggin' nascar watchin' hicks you know.
Quote by JimmydeGL

Super Fail
Quote by livrockdie
actually its left

Also Super Fail
Last edited by Horlicks at Jun 8, 2008,
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Yeah, they must be manual. Automatic cars can't go as fast. The on board computer won't be able to keep up with the speed of the car.

False.
The paddle sends a signal to a computer to change the gear. You think a human can do it faster than a computer?
The gear change happens in like 100th of a second. Much faster than any human, other than Ari Vatanen.
Quote by fallenangel20
Now that's just a cheap shot. Don't take this conversation to childish places, because you know it's not true and you're just trying to start something.

Ah come on mate, he's only having a laugh. Its not like we're talking about someone's death or religion here...its bloody transmissions on Formula 1 cars!
Quote by JimmydeGL

epic, epic fail.
Been away, am back
Quote by Oli_88
False.
The paddle sends a signal to a computer to change the gear. You think a human can do it faster than a computer?
The gear change happens in like 100th of a second. Much faster than any human, other than Ari Vatanen.

Well then...he proves my point! Just kidding. I read my Haynes manual on my old Citreon automatic and it told me manual cars can reach higher speeds at greater velocity due to the human speeds people can reach. A computer isn't as fast. But then again this was a Citroen BX or ZX and that ain't no forumla 1 car! So your probably right.
F1 BMW Sauber 2006 steering wheel:
1. Pit lane 1. speed limiter
2. Differential +
3. Engine push
4. Gear upshift
5. Traction control +
6. Engine push setting switch
7. Clutch lever
8. Traction control
9. Team info inlap
10. Burn out
11. Multifunctional switch
12. Lambda 13. Diagnostic
14. Wing angle info switch
15. Clutch
16. Differential selective switch
17. Team radio
18. Traction control -
19. Gear downshift
20. Engine break
21. Differential -
22. Neutral
23. Display page change

It has both manual gears and a clutch. Operated with flappy paddles behind the steering wheel.

And you wouldn't wanna drive it on the grass. It'll ruin the car's tyres, suspension and a lot more things. You'ld also get penalized for doing that.
Quote by wizards?
Jerk I get it and I'm american. Not all americans are flag wavin' beer chuggin' nascar watchin' hicks you know.

the term for people like that is officially "redneck"
On grass you get no grip and it's bumpy so could ruin the suspension and other sensitive instruments. If it is deemed you gained time by skipping a corner by going on the grass, then you can get a penalty such as a drive through or stop and go so it isn't worth it.
Quote by tyronelab
On grass you get no grip and it's bumpy so could ruin the suspension and other sensitive instruments. If it is deemed you gained time by skipping a corner by going on the grass, then you can get a penalty such as a drive through or stop and go so it isn't worth it.

The penalty is only given if you gained a place, they don't take time into account.

Quote by af_the_fragile

It has both manual gears and a clutch. Operated with flappy paddles behind the steering wheel.

I'm pretty sure that they also have an automatic clutch, and the manual clutch is only used on the grid or in the pits. You can hear the clutch dis- and re-engaging during braking up to 5 times in less than half a second, much faster than a human could do it, which means there much also be an automatic clutch. Plus, i remember seeing a demo of the Ferrari paddle system in the late 90's and there was definately no manual clutch control during gear changes.
Quote by AngryGoldfish

Automatic cars don't have much less top speed, all other things being equal, but they can't accellerate nearly as well.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
Quote by Missingno476
Automatic cars don't have much less top speed, all other things being equal, but they can't accellerate nearly as well.

Actually, that's not necessarily true. It's quite possible to design an automatic gear change program that would give faster acceleration, but only under certain circumstances, mainly where the engine is being pushed to the limit of its performance. Because the automatic clutching can be much faster than human clutch control, if the program is set up correctly, it would yield a few hundredths of a second faster acceleration. But it is bloody hard to get it right...
Quote by livrockdie
They do turn left, in nascar at least.

Thats the whole damn point. He is saying that in NASCAR they ONLY turn left. The bloody cars are designed to just work well turning left. Now stupid bloody Americans can't even read apparently.