hey

there seems something weird about playing solos with this amp, instead of it sounding, i don't know how to explain it, buttery, warm?
this is with both bridge and neck pickups
it just seems to buzz instead of being a clear note, if you know what i mean.
the rhythms on the amp are amazing though.

i think it could be due to the pickups in my ibanez's though, but it does the same with my razorback.

could anyone suggest some settings for thrash metal, but with good shredding tone too?

thanks in advance everyone

Main Gear
Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Esp Eclipse-I CTM DPS w/18v Mod
PRS Custom 24 Angry Larry
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Hey man I know what you mean. I love the rhythms i get out of it, but i am not satisfied with the lead tone, maybe its cause of the ****ty pickups on my ibanez as well. But im getting an ltd in a few days with emgs so we'll see what happens. I also hear that the stock tubes aren't that great.
my razorback has emg's, the lead is still lacking that sound really, but again the rhythms are to die for
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
well, machine head use 5150's don't they? all standard
and a 6505 is ment to be the same as a 5150, yet their lead is better?
same wood, same pickups
this is using their setting from Total Guitar mag btw.... thats probably why it doesnt sound that good :P
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Try putting the mids and presence/resonance up on the amp - my lead tone on the 6505+ is pretty good.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Buy an overdrive pedal to boost yourself for leads, something like a tubescreamer/bad monkey/sd-1 will bump your mids and gain up a bit.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
ill try that
the presence/resonance are both at half way, can you be more specific?
Also the EQ at the moment is like this;

Low - 4
Mid - 5
High - 6

Thanks everyone
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
my 6505+'s lead channel EQ currently (it usually changes) is:

Bass: 6
Mids:5
Treble: 3.5
Resonance: 7
Presence: just over 9.

The 6505 has quite a lot of mids to chuck about, so you don't have to boost them quite as much as other amps.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

i use the rythm chanel to solo, and turn down my guitar tone knob, sounds better me thinks
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
thanks mate

how about gain? or shouldnt it really matter?
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
For any serious musician with enough money to use should really by a different amp for each thing. One for lead, one for rhythm, and one for clean, but even i can't afford that. if its got a buzz try turning gain and volume down a bit. The main thing I know to is middle opens up the tone, bass can muddy the tone if there is to much and in some cases high can make your amp buzz or do what its supposed to do and make your distorted sound, sound brighter. Not to say that is your problem, but take it one knob at a time. you'll figure it out eventually
I currently have the gain around 7 - above that and it can become quite fizzy as opposed to any more distorted, but occasionally it can sound good above then if you EQ it right.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by Yngwi3
I currently have the gain around 7 - above that and it can become quite fizzy as opposed to any more distorted, but occasionally it can sound good above then if you EQ it right.

too true, it was at 7 anyway, ill try it out inabit and report back

Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
mehh, just had a mess around with it, still sounds like theres something missing, it sounds dull .
I want something like Machine Head lead tone, the rhythm ( on lead setting ) is perfect, but sounds crap for solos
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Hmm...try an overdrive through it to tighten it up a bit
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by the.spine.surfs
Low - 4?
Mid - 5?
High - 6?

Try bumping them all up by 3.

sounds worse to be honest
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Quote by Yngwi3
my 6505+'s lead channel EQ currently (it usually changes) is:

Bass: 6
Mids:5
Treble: 3.5
Resonance: 7
Presence: just over 9.

The 6505 has quite a lot of mids to chuck about, so you don't have to boost them quite as much as other amps.

Presence at 9?
Doesn't it get kind of grainy by then? What Volume?
haha funny I'm really tarting to notice my lack of a lead tone as well.
I'll try this out.
Thanks
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab

There's Machine Head's amps. Sorry about the pic size.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Hmm that's weird. I have my 5150 with gain around 5-7, bass at 5, mids at 6, treble at 6, and mix around with resonance and presance between 0-5 and get a pretty decent machine head type tone with a good lead sound.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Understand that the 6505 is not a warm or organic sounding amp. Its burtal death metal tone. I was a die hard 5150 user for years and I came to the same conclusion you have about it. Its a bit synthetic a raw. Nothing wrong with that, its just the amps sound.

I switched to Marshalls and I found them to have a more musical and organic sound. There isnt anything wrong with your amp its just what those amps sound like.

If anything you could try a nice overdrive pedal infront and back off the presence knob to shape the sound a bit.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12