So I got a $1000 check from my grandparents. I want to use some of it to buy a new amp, but I want to keep some of it for spending money in college. My budget is $500 AT MOST.

I have never played a gig in my life, but I intend to have lots of jam sessions in college.

I'm mostly into indie rock. I'm particularly a fan of the Silversun Pickups, but I'm also a huge Tool fan. So something that could do metal would be nice, but it's definitely not a necessity.

What I think would be nice is something all-tube that would be nice at low volumes when I'm just in my room but can also be cranked for a practice.

I tried a Vox Valvetronix AD30VT at Guitar Center and it was okay. But I think I can do a tiny bit better. One guitar player I saw used a Fender tube amp (not sure what kind) and I really liked her tone.

I play a Squier Telecaster.

Hope that's enough enough information.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Used B-52 AT-112.

After reading the reviews for that, it looks like people are saying it doesn't sound that good at low volumes. Thanks for the advice though
take a look at crate tube amps, traynor tube amps, and maybe used amps too.

but DON'T do solid state amps. they just sound terrible
Epi Les Paul Standard (vintage sunburst with SD pearly gates pickup in the bridge and SD Alnico II Pro in the neck)
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50
Avatar 2x12 (vintage 30 and marshall heritage speakers)
Crybaby 535Q
Boss CE-5
Boss GE-7
Boss TU-2
At least try it out. Reviews are worth nothing because thousands of reviews rave about MGs and Spiders. Those are just n00bs that don't want to admit they made a bad choice. People buying more expensive and better amps will more openly say "flaws" about the amp. I bet that it sounds good at low volumes but really shines when turned higher, like all tube amps.

Try a used Classic 30 and an OD. Won't really get that heavy, but maybe Metallica level gain.
crate makes some decent tube amps for a pretty cheap, they have nice cleans and good distortion i think. like the guy said check out craigslist sometimes you can get really good deals on there.
^ Nah man, you don't want a SS amp in your price range, even if it's a modeler.

If you really want a Silversun Pickups tone, it sounds like you'd benefit from an amp with a nice clean channel, and then a use a fuzz for you distortion.

Listening to the Carnavas album, it sounds like they use a good variety of fuzz tones, so I'd recommend a Zvex Fuzz Factory, but a Vexter model so you don't have to pay too much for it.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.