I have played guitar fr some time now, and I've started to think of to begin with bass also. I don't want to spend very much, since I've recently bought an expensive guitar, so I've looked at Squiers and found this:

http://squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0326702521

Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass, I want to know what you think of it and if it's worth the extra money to maybe go with a MIM Fender Standard Jazz Bass instead. As is it now, I will buy it after the summer and sell my Epiphone LP Standard, then I hopefully will get the bass without paying much at all and just pay full price for the amp. I will save under the summer and not buy anything I don't really need.

Also, what amp? This maybe?

http://www.kustom.com/product_detail.aspx?TypeID=6&FamilyID=94&ProductID=148&Tab=1

Is it enough to play with a band and maybe small gigs with if I will do that?
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
if youre going to trade in your guitar for a bass, i would say go with the Standard, not the Squier. But personally i would look at more basses before deciding on a Fender or Squier. Ibanez has really good basses even for beginners. i have a roadgear..i wouldnt go with that tho. probly a gsr or something. As for amps, a 30 watt amp might be good for small shows and practices, but if your a punk rocker or metalhead, u wont hear yourself even in a small room with the drums and guitar. I would go with a Hartke or Ampeg, depending on your price range. Ampeg is better tho.
Last edited by Derrikb at Jun 8, 2008,
I think the Squier is a good choice, its looks are amazing too.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
probably a no on the amp for a band. 30w is wayy too quiet for any kind of jam or gig. youre gonna need at least 100w
Arbor A410 Bass
Dinosaur 20 Watt Bass Amp
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Squier Bullet

Excuse me sir, have you been thinking tonight?
The Squire is a very good choice.

If you want to play with a drummer who is not a wuss, then 150W is really the minimum, unless you like the sound of a solid state power amp distorting and damaging your speakers.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Derrikb
if youre going to trade in your guitar for a bass, i would say go with the Standard, not the Squier. Depending on how muhc u treade it in for, or what your looking for, id go with the American. But personally i would look at more basses before deciding on a Fender or Squier

No way I'm gonna afford an American Fender Bass this year, not a chance. I will be a minor stretch with the MIM Standard. And I don't want to wait to long. I would like to get advice from someone that actually have experience with a bit more expensive Squiers.

Quote by HomerSGR
No way I'm gonna afford an American Fender Bass this year, not a chance. I will be a minor stretch with the MIM Standard. And I don't want to wait to long. I would like to get advice from someone that actually have experience with a bit more expensive Squiers.

yea i realized that..if u go back u can see i edited that out. lol. and i think anyone with experience wont be playing a Squier for very long and personally i think they blow. But if you can only go up to like $200, then i can see what u mean.
Quote by wshnationals
probably a no on the amp for a band. 30w is wayy too quiet for any kind of jam or gig. youre gonna need at least 100w

WHAT?? So bass amps need a lot more Watts to be louder, for a guitar amp 30 W is enough?

Quote by gm jack
If you want to play with a drummer who is not a wuss, then 150W is really the minimum, unless you like the sound of a solid state power amp distorting and damaging your speakers.

This is not fair, why would you need so much more Watt with a bass amp than a guitar amp? Can someone tell me why?

the human ear picks up more high pitched sounds. thats why guitar stands out alot easier. a bass has a low subtle tone. so more wattage is needed to make it noticeable.
30W really is no use for a band situation. In my old band the bassist started out with his 30W one and had it on full volume and it sounded like a monkey farting. Honestly. He played that way for a month and then insisted on running through the P.A system. He then saved for a lil while and got hold of an 180 Watt Ashdown and it soundeds ****in amazing ill tell you now. Much much better. It cost him i think 209 quid, so not too badly priced either.
Is a Kustom KBA 100X enough then? This is going to be a bit more expensive than I first thought...

Its a 100 W rite?

That *should* be fine. I havent played it, so i cant comment on sound quality, but wattage wise it should be fine.
Most people would suggest going for either the Warwick Sweet 15 or the Ashdown MAG 300, depending on which tone you prefer. They are very good amps for jamming with other people, and sound great. Kustom don't have a great reputation.

Bass frequencies simply need far more power behind them, as the ear is less receptive of them.

Also, squire do pretty good basses, so long as you don't get one of the few bad ones. I got an affinity as my first bass and it plays as well as a MIM Fender, though the pickups are lacking. However, I've seen one where I could wooble the neck around as the joint was so badly done. Try before you buy and it will be fine.

And 150W is just for practises. Live, you will still need to go into the PA.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by darthbuttchin
Its a 100 W rite?

That *should* be fine. I havent played it, so i cant comment on sound quality, but wattage wise it should be fine.

Ok, it's double the price of the 30 W... I will talk to the people at the local music-store, and see what they say. But it's not going to be in some time yet, as I said earlier.

Yes of course. I mean, it entirely depends on whether you intend to be playin live immediately or not. If your just gonna noodle around with it for a lil while and then perhaps join a band then you dont really need the 100 W one. You can always upgrade later.

As with all things in life it depends entirely upon the purpose for which you are doing the activity.

I forgot to say, that with my (limited) experience of a Squier Affinity Jazz, it seems a pretty solid and good piece of kit. Plus Jazz basses look brilliant. Im not a bassist myself, I just noodle a little on my mates bass (and my bros Stagg actually). So yeah, thats my view. I realise i may have contradicted my previous post but yes it depends upon the context of your learning.
The VM jazz is a solid bet, if you can afford it. It is incredible for the price. However, I would recommend saving for longer before getting an amp. Kustom amps don't have a lotof volume or cutting power for the wattage, so I would recomend saving up for one of the amps I mentioned earlier. 100W will not cut it against guitarists who like to turn it up a bit, and a drummer who hits with some force.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
One more question, it is possible to run a guitar to a bass amp but not the other way around, right? Then, will my guitar sound good through a bass amp? So I can use it for both the guitar and the bass? I'm probably going to buy a new guitar amp anyway, but if this will work good it would be great as I just need to buy one amp.

I also play guitar, and am looking to start playing bass. I have played that Squier, and I like it. I played it thru a relatively low-end Fender Rumble combo, and with everything set about flat (12 o clock) on the amp, the tone isnt really bassy and its very smooth and poppy, a bit like a Jaco tone kinda. It can give you a good slap/pop sound, and the neck is nice and comfortable. I think, as soon as i have the money, ill buy both the bass and the amp, or maybe a GK Backline combo. And yea, if you wanna run a guitar thru a bass amp, you can w/out damaging anything. Its actually quite common with Desert and Stoner rock bands a la Kyuss.
Quote by HomerSGR
One more question, it is possible to run a guitar to a bass amp but not the other way around, right? Then, will my guitar sound good through a bass amp? So I can use it for both the guitar and the bass? I'm probably going to buy a new guitar amp anyway, but if this will work good it would be great as I just need to buy one amp.

As most bass amps are solid state, overdriving a bass amp generally sounds horrible, especially as they are built not to distort.

However, using a guitar with a distortion pedal should work fine. Quite a lot of famous guitarists use bass cabs and/or amps.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by HomerSGR

Yes, it works and sounds very nice. Lots of guitarists do it.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Ok, thanks everyone for being so helpful, I'm not really sure about it yet. Maybe I just should continue with my guitar and maybe buy a bass in the future if I feel for it. I don't know yet.

Quote by HomerSGR
WHAT?? So bass amps need a lot more Watts to be louder, for a guitar amp 30 W is enough?

This is not fair, why would you need so much more Watt with a bass amp than a guitar amp? Can someone tell me why?

a bass speeker is bigger and heavier to handle the low frequencies, to move that heavy speaker, you need more power.

this should explain it http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/audio/spk.html#c1