So i drove the car through a large puddle yesterday, and afterwords it seemed fine all yesterday, i was able to use the brakes fine, because i dont slam them down.

But my mom came in this morning and said the brakes went out, and she claims its because i drove through a puddle, but i disagree. I think she just slammed on the breaks and went hydroplaning

Its been raining for the past day, and its pretty warm outside, is there any basis for her argument?
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
huzzah, thank you

oh and by puddle, it was like a foot deep
Quote by beadhangingOne
Quote by TheQuailman
Brakes are waterproof. In conclusion, this sounds very silly.

Nah water can effect them... that's why when you go through a ford (or whatever it's called in your country...) there's a sign after to say check your brakes.

I didn't read this but that's my response.
It will effect the brakes in the immediate future, however as soon as the brakes dry they'll go back to normal, you driving through a puddle is not gonna effect the brakes the next morning.
----
My Hyundai has some brake control called ABS. When it is raining pretty hard and I go through a puddle, the ABS light comes on. When my wheels dry off, the light goes off. The ABS controls deal with the antilock system, but the water definitely affects them.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
Quote by Here_is_no_why
My Hyundai has some brake control called ABS. When it is raining pretty hard and I go through a puddle, the ABS light comes on. When my wheels dry off, the light goes off. The ABS controls deal with the antilock system, but the water definitely affects them.

All cars have that nowadays.
well the brakes were probably wet, making it harder to brake right, unless your mom was driving for more than 10-20 minutes they should've been heated up and this would not have been the problem,

otherwise, those damn picksies have found another way to thwart us!
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

haha, alright thats what i thought, thanks
Quote by beadhangingOne
I think someone hates your mom...and decided to cut the brake cables.
Member of the 'Dr.Cox is my Mentor' group

Quote by Miggy01
I was kicking a balloon around, and kicked the back of my other foot.
I broke my toe as a result.
Quote by El Tostito
It's not the brakes... your mom is a woman... women can't drive.

Duh.

lolololol
✠ ☠ ✠
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Fendi Shoes is actually extremely advantageous.
What kind of car is it? I know some VW's have brake systems that are all electric based in which case water could screw something up pretty bad.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Aren't you supposed to drive through slowly then gently pump the brakes?
if you brake while in a deep puddle, it can mess with your brakes. but driving through a puddle doesnt do anything.

the hydroplane theory sounds feasible.
Quote by dudius
if you brake while in a deep puddle, it can mess with your brakes. but driving through a puddle doesnt do anything.

the hydroplane theory sounds feasible.

I agree with that, probably just not used to driving in the rain...does she actually know it takes twice as long to stop in the rain?
Quote by wiggyisgreat
Nah water can effect them... that's why when you go through a ford (or whatever it's called in your country...) there's a sign after to say check your brakes.

I didn't read this but that's my response.

It's called a "fjord."

But no, water would have nothing to do with brakes. It sounds like your mom hydroplaned.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
I tampered with your brakes in an attempt to kill you, but it looks like I'll have to try something else.
Quote by PlayMadness
It's called a "fjord."

But no, water would have nothing to do with brakes. It sounds like your mom hydroplaned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_%28crossing%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fjord

EDIT: All this talk of brakes has reminded me, my MOT advisory notice says I should replace the rear brake pipes. Bad times .
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Last edited by -February-Star- at Jun 8, 2008,
Quote by Liam.
Aren't you supposed to drive through slowly then gently pump the brakes?
no driving through water you should go through fast it creates a plow wave that stops water from getting into anything important
✠ ☠ ✠
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Fendi Shoes is actually extremely advantageous.
Fellas, aren't you glad you're not a woman?
You're not a Sheila,
You're a Peter or a Clive.
Because their lack of spatial awareness
Makes them really fucking careless
You should never ever let a woman drive!

When a girl is sitting at the wheel
You're gonna hear the crunch of steel,
There's a very real danger
That she'll crash into a stranger;
If you want to leave the car alive,
Never let a woman drive!

If you ever let a bird reverse
You're gonna end up in a hearse,
You're in massive fucking peril
If your driver's name is Cheryl,
If you want to leave the car alive
Never let a woman drive.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by sirrjj
no driving through water you should go through fast it creates a plow wave that stops water from getting into anything important

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=WkY_SE-mrEUC&pg=PA173&lpg=PA173&dq=highway+code+puddle+brakes&source=web&ots=CFGso-cy-w&sig=mDySWBRQHXp1alpdQ8xc0B24lk4&hl=en
Figure 8.1

Therefore yes it was the OPs fault.

It's called a "fjord."

Nope, its a "ford".
http://www.world-waterfalls.com/glossary.php
Fjord
A deep, steep-walled, U-shaped valley formed by glaciation, which has been flooded by seawater. Typically, waterfalls in this formation drop from hanging valleys. Fjords are commonly found in New Zealand, Canada, southern Argentina and Norway
Last edited by Liam. at Jun 8, 2008,
Well, now that your attempt to assassinate your mother has failed, it's time for plan B - stab that bitch right in the face.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s