Page 1 of 2
I played these two solos after just 10 months of playing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZXXUs6bBlKg
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yJ8CIzPNdlc

I can actually play quite faster then in both these videos. I did make a few mistakes but I'm working on that. I can't sweep just yet but I've been practicing hard for it. Not to brag or anything like that but I think I'm very good for the amount of time I've been playing. What do you guys think? Anything I could/should do to improve?
not bad for the amount of time you've been playing. never heard the first song, but work on cleaning up that queen solo and work on your pacing. don't just play it but feel it when you play it, if that makes sense...
I have that amp
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
it overall just sounds robotic. give the solo a voice...add a little flare.

one tip i can give you (i can't tell from teh vid if you are doing this or not) but on a longer note, rock your finger back and forth, it will give the note a lot more character.
well you actually have your left hand in a decent position instead of the masterbation mode wich involves trying to wrap your thumb around it twice, now tune your guitar a bit better and you'll make something good of yourself.
You hit every note nice and clean so I think you'll get quite good if you keep it up.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Not bad for 10 months, as long as these aren't the only two things you've done in that time. Practice your bends. When I first started learning to bend I kept my guitar plugged into a tuner and made sure to bend up to pitch very slowly and smoothly.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
First solo isnt bad. Altho hes right, its a bit boring. Maybe its the sound, but it doesnt sound good. Its robotic a bit. The second one, altho i have never heard the song, sounds good. kinda like it, it sounds different from what i know of Opeth (not much).
Keep it smooth, so each note flows and there are no unwanted stops or gaps.
Put your all into the music, as if your feeling it and want it to be heard by everyone, dont just play it as if its some ink on paper.
otherwise, very good for the amount of time
keep it up

EDIT: try with distortion and try to keep it as good as that (no notes overlapping etc.)
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
yes dude, you need to like feel the music, what does that mean? well its the difference between a normal good guitar player and someone like steve vai. give both of them same equipment and a piece to play, and Vais will sound better, because he puts alot of feeling into anything he plays. you probably dont understand but its like...ugh, like what ever you play think of it as if you are a famous rockstar and you are playing infront of a million people. like just put your soul into it.

ok enough talking like an old wise man lol. yea when playing long notes you gotta use vibrato. like wiggle your finger on the fret when you are playing it. kind og like bending the note constantly.
Good if this is best after 10 months... worrying it its all after 10 months
Quote by .HUZZAH.
Just hit all the strings at once, raping your e string and making retardly out of place pinch harmonics

oh wait, this isn't a slipknot concert..

FREEBIRD!

And the amish said let their be CHEESE...
Quote by qotsa1998
First solo isnt bad. Altho hes right, its a bit boring. Maybe its the sound, but it doesnt sound good. Its robotic a bit. The second one, altho i have never heard the song, sounds good. kinda like it, it sounds different from what i know of Opeth (not much).

That's because it's suppose to be played with overdrive on. But the overdrive on the spider 3 sucks so I played it clean instead

This is the original version
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dhav8RogqAc

Starts on 8:14

If you guys want I'll play it again with overdrive
Quote by GuitarManDan15
Good if this is best after 10 months... worrying it its all after 10 months

What do you mean? What should I be able to play after 10 months?
^ i think he meant like if you learned those in 10 months lol. yea that would be something to worry about...
As in it took 10 months to be able to play? ROFL of course not. I meant 10 months as in I've only been playing FOR 10 months total.
don't get too defensive. you've got promise. just read the advice everyone has given, incorperate it into your playing and you'll be even better than you already are. I asked hundreds of questions when i learned to play guitar, no matter how stupid they were and it has really paid off. good luck, and i can't wait to hear how you are playing 10 months from now.
i think that if you try putting words or perhaps meanings behind the notes, it starts to show when you play. even if you dont get the timing spot on, most people wont notice if you put enough emotion behind it, thats just my opinion anyway.

ok that probably didnt make sense, ill try and explain abit more.

you look at the tabs to the queen solo and you see a series of notes, if you try and break it down and see why the notes are layed out, i mean beyond the theory.. like the overall pattern, for example

e---------------------3b----------------
B------------------0------0-------------
G---------------0-----------0----------
D------------0-----------------0-------
A----------0----------------------0-----
E----------------------------------------

*right ok ill try and explain the above*

instead of just thinking ok, im going down playing the open strings and then holding down the high e on the 3rd fret and bending and then coming back up.. try and think, righ im building up, im acsending up towards a climax and then bringing it back down.

breaking up the tabs and "phrases?" into emotions and/ or words will help you understand how it all fits together, why your playing the notes and itll help take away that roboticness that you get when you just play note after note, even if your playing, quarter/ eigth/ sixteenth notes with pauses and breaks, it can still feel robotic if you dont put emotion behind notes.

ok that may have been something you already knew, and/ or it may not help much, but just somethink ive been thinking of lately.

good playing on the whole though, keep at it
Quote by FretboardToAsh
well you actually have your left hand in a decent position instead of the masterbation mode wich involves trying to wrap your thumb around it twice, now tune your guitar a bit better and you'll make something good of yourself.
You hit every note nice and clean so I think you'll get quite good if you keep it up.

Wrapping around the neck? I use my thumb to dead notes I don't need on open chords when there's fast strumming. Or do you mean just when playing normally?
Spend less time learning solos and more time learning to play the guitar.

You've got some decent technique, but it's all very mechanical. You don't seem to have much of a sense of rhythm or understanding of what you're playing. It sounds to me like you've rushed through things to get where you are. Playing the guitar isn't about speed, or about how fast you progress...it's not a competition. Attention to detail and accuracy ARE important, so work on the individual techniques, learn how to bend properly, learn how to vibrato etc and spend a lot more time working on your rhythm chops.

The key to being a good lead guitarist is to first be a good rhythm player. To solo effectively you need to have a good understanding of the chords you're playing over, that way you can work with them better. I wouldn't bother with sweeping yet, you've got your whole life to learn how to play the guitar, if you try to cram everything into the shortest time possible invariably your playing and long term development suffer.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Spend less time learning solos and more time learning to play the guitar.

You've got some decent technique, but it's all very mechanical. You don't seem to have much of a sense of rhythm or understanding of what you're playing. It sounds to me like you've rushed through things to get where you are. Playing the guitar isn't about speed, or about how fast you progress...it's not a competition. Attention to detail and accuracy ARE important, so work on the individual techniques, learn how to bend properly, learn how to vibrato etc and spend a lot more time working on your rhythm chops.

The key to being a good lead guitarist is to first be a good rhythm player. To solo effectively you need to have a good understanding of the chords you're playing over, that way you can work with them better. I wouldn't bother with sweeping yet, you've got your whole life to learn how to play the guitar, if you try to cram everything into the shortest time possible invariably your playing and long term development suffer.

Listen to him!!!!! He is right 10^42 times!
dont worry about "how do i sound at x amount of time"

it doesnt really help us. you could have practiced 1 hour a month for 10 months or 16 hours a day for 10 months

it does us no good and it doesnt matter anyway. some people learn way faster than others and again, it doesnt matter. its not a race

play/study what you want, when you want.. youll get there faster that way. you cant force it or it will come across as forced and youll never reach your potential
Thanks for the advice guys

Honestly tho I think the amp/guitar do hold me back(line 6 spider 3/epiphone les paul junior) I play a lot better with the Fender my teacher has and the Ibanez RG my friend has.
Quote by Joe Moma
Thanks for the advice guys

Honestly tho I think the amp/guitar do hold me back(line 6 spider 3/epiphone les paul junior) I play a lot better with the Fender my teacher has and the Ibanez RG my friend has.

Equipment doesn't hold people back unless they let it. The Spider's an okay amp for a beginner and the guitar is decent enough.

Just keep in mind that there is no "destination" when playing guitar so there's no point rushing to get there, just relax, enjoy the journey and make sure you discover all there is to see along the way.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Just keep in mind that there is no "destination" when playing guitar so there's no point rushing to get there, just relax, enjoy the journey and make sure you discover all there is to see along the way.

Definately, it's all about enjoyment and "getting a feel" and enjoying what you play.

And the bombardment of lingerie at gigs, but that's another story for another time
Quote by steven seagull
Equipment doesn't hold people back unless they let it. The Spider's an okay amp for a beginner and the guitar is decent enough.

I dunno if I agree with that. There are things I can do/play on an Ibanez I can't do with the guitar I have right now. The thing I don't like about it is that it's too small of a guitar and the neck isn't fast enough. It's almost toy like. The guitar I'm about to get is an Schecter C1 FR Blackjack ATX with a Peavey XXX combo amp. Think that would do me good for metal?
TS - Would it make a difference to you if I said you were great? Would it cause you to play even better? Or what if I said that you sucked and should sell your guitar on ebay? Would you actually go sell it? You already think you're good, so are you looking for us to agree with you? If we told you that we thought you were horrible you'd probably get mad. So what's the point of this thread?

Keep playing and don't worry "how good" you are.
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Jun 8, 2008,
Keep it up. It's alright stuff. Just don't get too cocky.
Quote by Joe Moma
I dunno if I agree with that. There are things I can do/play on an Ibanez I can't do with the guitar I have right now. The thing I don't like about it is that it's too small of a guitar and the neck isn't fast enough. It's almost toy like. The guitar I'm about to get is an Schecter C1 FR Blackjack ATX with a Peavey XXX combo amp. Think that would do me good for metal?

I think it will be a huge upgrade, and it will definitely improve overall enjoyment of the playing experience.

If you've got the money, I definitely support an upgrade. While some people enjoy the "I can make any guitar do whatever I want" philosophy of guitar playing (and although steven seagull is right 99% of the time), I am more of a realist: Poor equipment (ranging from issues that affect "playability" such as high action, etc. to issues such as poor intonation) can definitely impede one's playing and--especially when just beginning to play guitar--hurt development.

Just my two cents.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
practice other stuff and come back to this later.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by selloutpunx
not bad for the amount of time you've been playing. never heard the first song, but work on cleaning up that queen solo and work on your pacing. don't just play it but feel it when you play it, if that makes sense...

Never...heard... Black Rose Immortal???!?!

*head explodes*
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
Quote by poopsmith666
Never...heard... Black Rose Immortal???!?!

*head explodes*

neither have i...
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by fixationdarknes
TS - Would it make a difference to you if I said you were great? Would it cause you to play even better? Or what if I said that you sucked and should sell your guitar on ebay? Would you actually go sell it? You already think you're good, so are you looking for us to agree with you? If we told you that we thought you were horrible you'd probably get mad. So what's the point of this thread?

Keep playing and don't worry "how good" you are.

This.

You all ready have an opinion of yourself, of course you're going to feel amazing when you can play solos that you think are cool, and its going to be very humbling when you see some other guy whip out licks and riffs that you thought only the very best could do. You don't need the opinions of guys on a forum to intermingle with your own and mess you up. If it makes you feel good, you're as good as you need to be.

But also +1 to the guys saying you should make your solos more interesting and more "your own". You should mess around with stuff a little more, just to see if you like the way it sounds.
Quote by bi-ah!
neither have i...

you sadden me in ways only non-Opeth listeners can...
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
Quote by poopsmith666
you sadden me in ways only non-Opeth listeners can...

you sadden me in a way that only metalheads can
you seem to be hitting the notes fine, its just i dont feel as if theres anything behind them. you should work on putting a little more substance (some would call it 'feeling' but im hesistant to) behind each note. make each note mean something. watch your tone production, vibrato etc. the way your playing it doesnt matter if you play sixty notes in one second or one in sixty, it doesnt seem to mean anything.

not to sound harsh, you do show a lot of promise for only ten monthes, especially if guitar is your first instrument. just keep going and you'll surely only get better.
Quote by Zeroxsk8er1
pretty good. i learned how to play "Canon Rock" by JerryC, when i played for only 11 months. everybody was like dude your ****ing GOOD for only playin 11 months.
then again i play guitar A LOT.

I call bs
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
Page 1 of 2