I know someone who is recording for bands for around $150 a song, is that a good investment? I'm not in a band but I have an acoustic project going and later on I may expect to play at shows, and maybe get tips. Is it a good investment?

Edit: And I do have a job.
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Line 6 Tonecore Uber Metal
If you cant do it yourself (not hard honestly if you have a job and computer), and he does a good job mixing and stuff, then i think it is, if you can earn your money back.
Quote by md41
I know someone who is recording for bands for around $150 a song, is that a good investment? I'm not in a band but I have an acoustic project going and later on I may expect to play at shows, and maybe get tips. Is it a good investment?

Edit: And I do have a job.

no get cubase sx3 ex drummer, waves plugins from the internet torrents
sm57, rode condenser mic and midi interface $200 ish

you can make some great recordings
You could do what my band does when we need a quick recording. We just use a mic and hook up garage band and just play live. Crappy quality though....
-Andrew H
band: syncopated groove punch
$150/song for a good quality recording is good. investment-wise, i'm not sure, but if you really do plan on getting yourself out there, go for it.
_______
|||||||||||||||
That's a lot of money, I wouldn't bother. You could do your own stuff for about the same price, but you'd need a lot of practice to get the same results.

Best bet?

If there are any local universities, enquire whether they do sound recording courses - they'll offer near-professional level recordings for free.
I would say, pay to record a single then put it out and see what the public thinks before wasting money to record a full cd.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
I would say, pay to record a single then put it out and see what the public thinks before wasting money to record a full cd.

What the public thinks will be irrelevant. Partly because the public DOESN'T think.

If you take a crap band and a crap single and market it a bit, a lot of people will still buy it because they've had exposure to it. (And because they're a bunch of spineless twunts who like being told what to listen to).

Unless it is so blindingly fantastic that everyone who hears it falls in love with it (which is extremely unlikely, regardless of how good you are), an unknown single will do f*ck all.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
What the public thinks will be irrelevant. Partly because the public DOESN'T think.

If you take a crap band and a crap single and market it a bit, a lot of people will still buy it because they've had exposure to it. (And because they're a bunch of spineless twunts who like being told what to listen to).

Unless it is so blindingly fantastic that everyone who hears it falls in love with it (which is extremely unlikely, regardless of how good you are), an unknown single will do f*ck all.

If the public around his area doesn't like it, then he prolly shouldn't record and hope to sell anything there.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
If the public around his area doesn't like it, then he prolly shouldn't record and hope to sell anything there.

The term "public" doesn't refer to the rock music underclass.

Such a small demographic probably won't pay for this stuff, so it doesn't make sense to spend a windfall on getting recordings done when you could get something almost as good for free.