My brother is moving away and i need a new amp. I currently have a 50W traynor blue valve or something its a really sweet amp and would recommend it to anyone. But because i am no longer in posession of it realized i need a new amp. I have about ~$900 to spend and was looking at the Krank Rev Jr/ Jr Pro (when is it coming out and also how big is the full stack for the Krank Rev Jr).

I'm looking for quality over quantity I want something that will sound good without waking everyone and myself up. But also capable of jamming with a drummer and still have a bit of juice left. I play mostly metal so distortion is a must but i also want it to be fairly versatile so incase i turn gay the clean channel must also sound sweet.

Any ideas? (preferably tube)
The problem with the Rev Jr is that it doesn't support a foot switch so that could be a big problem. With 900 bucks you could get some thing pretty nice like a used 6505 combo.

EDIT: my mistake the pro is foot switchable.
Last edited by zhunt1130 at Jun 8, 2008,
A full stack wouldn't be that large, considering that it's just two 1x12 cabs. And yes, the Pro is footswitchable, but for the money, you'd probably be better off with something like that used 6505. The cleans you can get on the rhythm channel are certainly usable too.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Has anybody heard/played the Rev Jr in person? I was actually pretty curious about them myself. I'd imagine they'd be gig worthy too.
Kirk Hammett's amp seems like it's mostly for the name. And I don't know for sure, but it seems like it's SS or a hybrid, not full-tube.

The 6505 (2x12) combo actually isn't overkill. They're designed to emphasize preamp distortion, so it won't sound like garbage at lower volumes, and it'll certainly be able to keep up with a drummer (more effectively than a Rev Jr., by the way).
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
If you like kirk you might as well get the amp he uses, aka a mark II or a mark IV
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
The Rev Jr would be underkill before the 6505 combo would be overkill. Plus if you think the 60 watt 6505 combo is overkill, what do you expect from the 120 watt Kirk?
thats a good point... but the Krank Rev Jr looks so amazing and also i think having a stack would be more intense. but i am reading lots and lots of good stuff about this 6505
I'd go for the rev jr pro. It looks pretty sick.

Edit: Plus, it IS footswitchable, and has an eq for the cleans.
Rev Jr looks interesting, theres quite an article in the new Guitar World magazine about them..

I'd give them a second look..

It does look pretty br00tal for a 20 watt amp.

Last edited by babyboo666 at Jun 8, 2008,
August issue, it's got that disturbed guitarist on the cover and says "SHRED, WHITE AND BLUE"
ive looked through it like 4 times i think im half retarded (page number plz ... lol)
Quote by rottened23
thats a good point... but the Krank Rev Jr looks so amazing and also i think having a stack would be more intense. but i am reading lots and lots of good stuff about this 6505

For the money, I think it's probably a better choice than the Krank. It's most likely going to be my next amp. I've been looking around a lot on Craigslist and I've found combo's for like 600 bucks. I just hope they're still on there when I actually get the money saved up. Keep in mind, in the future, a 6505 combo will be much better live if you get into a band.
Sorry to sorta change the topic, but i have been wondering about this lately, which has better "brootlz" krank or the 6505?

I have played the 6505 and loved it, but it was a little bright? idk if thats the right word.
Quote by guitarbite.fire
Sorry to sorta change the topic, but i have been wondering about this lately, which has better "brootlz" krank or the 6505?

I have played the 6505 and loved it, but it was a little bright? idk if thats the right word.

Are you talking about the Jr or the full sized Krank amps?
im talking about the JR. I liked the krank Revolution better then the 6505+ or 6505, but havent got to play the rev jr.
The Rev Jr can get pretty brootal by it self. It might not have as much gain as the 6505, but it certainly has more useable gain. Plus, the cleans are better than the 6505.

Honestly, I'd rather have the Krank, for anyone saying it might not be good enough in a band situation, go play one, that thing is LOUD if you want it to be.

Plus, if it's all about quality, Krank > Peavey hands down. Krank makes an awesome product, very high quality. Not completely sure if they use quite the quality on the Rev Jr, but I'd think they would.

A lot of people don't like Kranks, but Krank haters have a hard time trying to find reasons to hate the Rev Jr. It's a great little amp for the price and the cab sounds monstrous for a 1x12.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
^ I agree completely that Krank is better than Peavey. I was merely comparing a 6505 combo to a Jr, which I think the 6505 would be better between those 2. If we were talking about the full size Rev, there would be no contest, I love those things.
Quote by zhunt1130
Has anybody heard/played the Rev Jr in person? I was actually pretty curious about them myself. I'd imagine they'd be gig worthy too.

They're alright. The boost switch is neccessary for gigs, but not for practice. The gain is weak without the boost. But has a good 70's rock sound without it. And the clean channel without the boost gives a really nice power tube crunch.
I got some good guitars, yo.