Page 1 of 3
Im writing a paper, and im just wondering, whats a good site to go to, to find out if the Death Penalty acts as a deterrent.
I suspect it would be a deterrent though far as I know it hasn't actually brought down crime lol.
Tis the maximum deterrent with the minimum chance of re-offending. Think that's from Mort...
Quote by Alter-Bridge
If I had sex as much as you said the word "shit" I would be paris hilton.

Quote by rworsl
I have never felt closer to either cheese or weasels

Quote by Vermintide

DURN THING DUN GONE MESS UP AGIYAN. MARGE, FETCH ME MAH BOOMSTIYAK
most of the time, people who use the these:

Its cheaper to keep them for the life sentence
Doesnt act as a deterrent

as an argument against capital punishment are using the yanks as the reasoning behind it. its cheaper to leave them in prison cause the americans have to pay large amounts of money for the drugs for lethal injection. and on the deterrent front, it hasnt lowered crime.

i believe that capital punishment should be bought back to the UK. most people i have told this two give one of the reasons stated above. however, i have another theory.

Cost: its only cheaper to keep the felon in jail for the life sentence because of the cost for drugs etc. for the lethal injection, in the UK, we hung them from wooden frames, which is considerably cheaper than drugs.

Deterrent: if asked what would be a minimal acceptable age for execution, i would expect people to say 18. i believe the age should be lowered, down to 14. many of the crimes and murders in the UK seem to be committed by our youth population of those under 18. if we lowered the age i believe it would make the possible offender reconsider his proposed offence if he truly values his life. If he doesn't then the country would be better off without them.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
It doesn't act as a deterrent.
You only have to look at the crime rates of countries without the death penalty (eg England) and countries with it (eg America)
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by thedudemeister

Cost: its only cheaper to keep the felon in jail for the life sentence because of the cost for drugs etc. for the lethal injection, in the UK, we hung them from wooden frames, which is considerably cheaper than drugs.

Hanging a person is unbelievably cruel. It is massively painful and leaves those who allow it no better than the person they hang.

Only a horrible excuse for a human being would argue that we should take a human life based on the cost of keeping that person alive.
You sicken me.

Deterrent: if asked what would be a minimal acceptable age for execution, i would expect people to say 18. i believe the age should be lowered, down to 14. many of the crimes and murders in the UK seem to be committed by our youth population of those under 18. if we lowered the age i believe it would make the possible offender reconsider his proposed offence if he truly values his life. If he doesn't then the country would be better off without them.

We don't think 14 year olds are mature enough to get a job or sign a legal contract but you think that they're old enough to die.

Try living in the real world jackass.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
It doesn't act as a deterrent.
You only have to look at the crime rates of countries without the death penalty (eg England) and countries with it (eg America)

england also has way more gun control
Quote by RedDeath9
Divinecrossfire...

Epic post. Wish I could say more, but I don't know much about the subconscious and other psychological stuff.
Quote by thedudemeister
most of the time, people who use the these:

Its cheaper to keep them for the life sentence
Doesnt act as a deterrent

as an argument against capital punishment are using the yanks as the reasoning behind it. its cheaper to leave them in prison cause the americans have to pay large amounts of money for the drugs for lethal injection. and on the deterrent front, it hasnt lowered crime.

i believe that capital punishment should be bought back to the UK. most people i have told this two give one of the reasons stated above. however, i have another theory.

*sigh*

1)Cost. It's cheaper to lock someone up for 50 years than it is to execute them (this is all based on the US figures). The average amount of time spent on Death Row is about 20 years, so you've got to pay for that much prison in the first place. Most of those 20 years are actually spent in a courtroom and not in a cell. Court's expensive and in no time at all you've already exceeded what it would to lock them up for life. So, in the event that you're a prick who makes decisions about human lives based on cost, you've got no argument.
2)Killing innocent people. Lots of barbarians blow this off with "only if it's 100% certain" or "DNA and forensic evidence mean it can be certain". A)Nothing is ever certain and B)DNA and forensic evidence are never certain. Highly, highly probable, so highly probable as to be pretty much certain, but still not actually certain. It is possible to wrongly convict people on DNA evidence. Especially if the body is found in a fairly advanced state of decomposition. Just look at the samples they found of "Maddie's" blood in her parents' hire car. It was degraded so they much they can't say with ANY certainty that it was her blood. Or even that it was actually blood. And that was what, a few weeks?
The killing of innocent people would be enough to put me off. It's not like the guilty are being let off and allowed to wander about in society, they're still ****ed. But I won't kill some murderers if it means killing some innocent people. Also, related note, people say you should reduce the amount of court time and appeals to reduce the cost enough to make it economically sensible, but that just makes it more likely that they'll kill someone who's innocent.
3)Violation of human rights. Usual stuff. You can call us all liberal nutjobs but I'm not stooping to their level. We don't kill people. It's wrong.
4)Nobody has the right to decide. I hear a lot of **** like "They DESERVE to die", every time I just think "wait, who the **** gave you the authority to make that decision?" You people aren't supreme moral authorities and you cannot tell me they DESERVE to die. Well, you can, but your opinion carries no weight because you're not in a position to make that call.
5)State power. Most pro-CP people are fascists so this usually won't bother them but I for one don't think the state should have the power to kill. It is not a just system of affairs. Everyone has to live in a country whether they like it or not, I didn't sign up to be in a country where the government could kill people. Not gonna happen.
6)Hypocrisy. By killing them you validate their actions. Their problem is that they don't show respect for human life. We shouldn't show them that we don't either. I want to be as little like these people as possible, and if that means taking the moral high ground and behaving like a civilised person, well that's what I'm going to do.
7)Barbaric. This is the 21st century. It is outrageous that people still think it is appropriate to kill people whose actions they disagree with.
8)Jail time is an appropriate alternative. You hear a lot of stuff about how people have a cushy life in prison, but I guarantee you it's bull****. It's all written by people who have never spent time in prison. Ask anyone who's been in prison and see whether they relish the thought of spending 20+ years in there. I don't think they'll like the idea
Quote by divinecrossfire
england also has way more gun control

Yep.

Hell, it's even just basic psychology. We don;t sentence people to death for anything less than a huge crime, that would otherwise get a life sentence.
People who kill another human being don't ever even consider that they'll be caught. If they did then they wouldn't do it. Life in prison is hardly something to look forward to.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth is the way I see it.

A life for a life in other words.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic

Leaves the whole world blind

And toothless too.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by valennic

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

The law is not about revenge, it's about justice.

Once again;

1)Cost. It's cheaper to lock someone up for 50 years than it is to execute them (this is all based on the US figures). The average amount of time spent on Death Row is about 20 years, so you've got to pay for that much prison in the first place. Most of those 20 years are actually spent in a courtroom and not in a cell. Court's expensive and in no time at all you've already exceeded what it would to lock them up for life. So, in the event that you're a prick who makes decisions about human lives based on cost, you've got no argument.
2)Killing innocent people. Lots of barbarians blow this off with "only if it's 100% certain" or "DNA and forensic evidence mean it can be certain". A)Nothing is ever certain and B)DNA and forensic evidence are never certain. Highly, highly probable, so highly probable as to be pretty much certain, but still not actually certain. It is possible to wrongly convict people on DNA evidence. Especially if the body is found in a fairly advanced state of decomposition. Just look at the samples they found of "Maddie's" blood in her parents' hire car. It was degraded so they much they can't say with ANY certainty that it was her blood. Or even that it was actually blood. And that was what, a few weeks?
The killing of innocent people would be enough to put me off. It's not like the guilty are being let off and allowed to wander about in society, they're still ****ed. But I won't kill some murderers if it means killing some innocent people. Also, related note, people say you should reduce the amount of court time and appeals to reduce the cost enough to make it economically sensible, but that just makes it more likely that they'll kill someone who's innocent.
3)Violation of human rights. Usual stuff. You can call us all liberal nutjobs but I'm not stooping to their level. We don't kill people. It's wrong.
4)Nobody has the right to decide. I hear a lot of **** like "They DESERVE to die", every time I just think "wait, who the **** gave you the authority to make that decision?" You people aren't supreme moral authorities and you cannot tell me they DESERVE to die. Well, you can, but your opinion carries no weight because you're not in a position to make that call.
5)State power. Most pro-CP people are fascists so this usually won't bother them but I for one don't think the state should have the power to kill. It is not a just system of affairs. Everyone has to live in a country whether they like it or not, I didn't sign up to be in a country where the government could kill people. Not gonna happen.
6)Hypocrisy. By killing them you validate their actions. Their problem is that they don't show respect for human life. We shouldn't show them that we don't either. I want to be as little like these people as possible, and if that means taking the moral high ground and behaving like a civilised person, well that's what I'm going to do.
7)Barbaric. This is the 21st century. It is outrageous that people still think it is appropriate to kill people whose actions they disagree with.
8)Jail time is an appropriate alternative. You hear a lot of stuff about how people have a cushy life in prison, but I guarantee you it's bull****. It's all written by people who have never spent time in prison. Ask anyone who's been in prison and see whether they relish the thought of spending 20+ years in there. I don't think they'll like the idea
One of our PMs, robert peel, repealed over 200 crimes that carried the death penalty (graffiti, theft ect) because the harshness of the punishment made juries relaucant to conivit, maybe thats of some help to you.
It costs so much because we allow appeals, ...blah blah blah... attorney fees are expensive, and then paying salaries for judge, bailiff, stenographer... it costs a lot to hold a trial, and then we hold like 3 more to kill them.

Tell me ted budny didn't deserve to die
god, my comp is ****ing up and it is pissin me off.

ok, to summerise my failed points:

hanging is not unbelievably cruel, it is more humane than the electric chair. the short drop and sudden stop should break the felons neck meaning that death should be quick and painless as a result.

i agree that 14 yr olds are mature, but if you are old enough to callously murder then you are old enough to face execution as a punishment. when that human being cold bloodedly killed a fellow citizen they surrendered all their human rights.

just because this is the 21st century doesnt mean we should jsut accuse capital punishment as barbaric, after all, we do have other "barbaric" acts in life, such as war, abortion (some would consider), euthanasia (some would consider), torture. all these still exist.

and lastly, religion is devided on this topic, but all christians maintain the belief that execution, taking a life, is wrong, only god is allowed to do that. however, christians forget, without capital punishment christianity wouldnt exist in the first place, and in the bible, which is very hypocritical, the old testament says an eye for an eye etc. but gandhi says: then the whole world will be blind and toothless. this teaches against revenge. but all humans desire revenge, if someone struck you on the cheek, would you do as jesus said, and turn the other cheek? or will you give into the old testament proverbs, and human nature, and strike back? i believe most here would strike back.

dont quote from the bible unless you have a knowledge of all the facts.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
Quote by thedudemeister

hanging is not unbelievably cruel, it is more humane than the electric chair. the short drop and sudden stop should break the felons neck meaning that death should be quick and painless as a result.

i agree that 14 yr olds are mature, but if you are old enough to callously murder then you are old enough to face execution as a punishment. when that human being cold bloodedly killed a fellow citizen they surrendered all their human rights.

just because this is the 21st century doesnt mean we should jsut accuse capital punishment as barbaric, after all, we do have other "barbaric" acts in life, such as war, abortion (some would consider), euthanasia (some would consider), torture. all these still exist.

and lastly, religion is devided on this topic, but all christians maintain the belief that execution, taking a life, is wrong, only god is allowed to do that. however, christians forget, without capital punishment christianity wouldnt exist in the first place, and in the bible, which is very hypocritical, the old testament says an eye for an eye etc. but gandhi says: then the whole world will be blind and toothless. this teaches against revenge. but all humans desire revenge, if someone struck you on the cheek, would you do as jesus said, and turn the other cheek? or will you give into the old testament proverbs, and human nature, and strike back? i believe most here would strike back.

1. Any form of Capital Punishment is cruel, end of. You suggested the lethal injection? Did you know that's actually ridiculously painful as many suicidal survivers takers will tell you? The reason why it looks peaceful is because they paralyze them first.

2. Fourteen year olds are not mature. End of.

3. Civil rights are for everyone. You're just as inhuman as them.

4. USA is the only developed country who still have the death penalty and have noted uses of torture. War happens because sometimes it's inedible due to other people's actions. I'm sorry... If the death penalty isn't barbaric, then why does every developed country in the world apart from the USA outlaw it, although it's common in developing or under developed countries?

5. Law is not religious. Don't quote me.
Quote by thedudemeister

But often it does not and the person simply strangles to death. Even if it does break their neck that doesn't mean it's not excruciatingly painful, even decapitated people stay alive for a while after.
I don't agree with the electric chair either.

Ya, hanging someone isn;t cold blooded at all.
How can you say that someone is not old enough to sign a legal contract, drive, or book into a hotel but are old enough to be killed.

So, that doesn't mean we shouldn't eliminate as many of those as we can.

What the bible says is irrelevant to our laws. Not everyone is a Christian.
Many things are human base desires such as revenge. That doesn't mean we give into them. If we did we'd rob and rape all we wanted.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by thedudemeister

Fact? You haven't stated a single fact. Everything you have said is either opinion or made up.

The short drop style of hanging is very painful (as is the suspension style). They are generally still conscious for 1-3 minutes after the drop. Sound humane now?

Last edited by Your Mother : Today at 03:44 PM
Quote by pak1351
Death penalty isn't cruel nor unusual.

Supreme Court rulings biitches

My supreme court disagrees.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
from my own experience, the death penalty is a deterrant. i sure as hell wouldnt kill someone if it meant me dying too.
Quote by Craigo
I wouldn't kill someone in the first place.

me neither, but i'm just saying that to answer the question.
Quote by dudius
from my own experience, the death penalty is a deterrant. i sure as hell wouldnt kill someone if it meant me dying too.

When someone commits a crime that is serious enough to warrant the death penalty they don't think they're going to be caught, if they did they wouldn't do it.

Would you commit it if you thought you'd "just" get life in prison instead.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by dudius

You fail morality.

Quote by Meths
8)Jail time is an appropriate alternative. You hear a lot of stuff about how people have a cushy life in prison, but I guarantee you it's bull****. It's all written by people who have never spent time in prison. Ask anyone who's been in prison and see whether they relish the thought of spending 20+ years in there. I don't think they'll like the ide a.

Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
hanging is only one method, the point im trying to raise by that is that execution can be done effectively and not very expensive. there are others such as firing sqauds, unfortunately there are no humane methods of execution, but the criminal should feel pain in death. just like his (or her) victim.

and it isnt cold blooded, the criminal murdered his (or her) victim for the "fun" of it or to get kicks. that is cold blooded, hanging or any form of execution isnt. the government or executioner might not like their job, but it needs to be done. murder is a crime, execution is a punishment.

thats not the point im trying to show, eliminating them wont be wise, and will be impractical, im just tryin to say, if we have euthanasia and abortion then we might as well have capital punishment. all 3 involve some form of killing.

true, but religion is still a main factor in both for and against arguments for capital punishment. christianity isnt alone on the revenge topic, other religions, such as islam, support capital punishment for crimes such as murder.

theft and rape are crimes, people are taught from birth that stealing is wrong. rape is a crime. you will suffer a jail sentence for them. revenge isnt illegal, depending on how it was acted out. human beings want revenge for even the most minute of things, its in our nature to stand up for ourselves, if i punched you, im pretty sure you would punch me back. sex is also a human desire, but we have many things in society which can deal with high sex drive without resulting to rape. treatment, masturbation, finding women/men to sleep with, even prostitution. unfortunately the same cant be said for murder.

rape warrants a 30 yr prison sentence (roughly). execution warrants a life imprisonment, unfortunately, that could mean 30 yrs as well, and in the case of some youth murderers, they would be given a 15 yr sentence, they would be out before they are 30. they have a chance to re-offend, and you do have cases where people re-offend. capital punishment gives us a %100 chance of no re-offending.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King

Hate humans? Click here
Quote by thedudemeister
hanging is only one method, the point im trying to raise by that is that execution can be done effectively and not very expensive. there are others such as firing sqauds, unfortunately there are no humane methods of execution, but the criminal should feel pain in death. just like his (or her) victim.

and it isnt cold blooded, the criminal murdered his (or her) victim for the "fun" of it or to get kicks. that is cold blooded, hanging or any form of execution isnt. the government or executioner might not like their job, but it needs to be done. murder is a crime, execution is a punishment.

thats not the point im trying to show, eliminating them wont be wise, and will be impractical, im just tryin to say, if we have euthanasia and abortion then we might as well have capital punishment. all 3 involve some form of killing.

true, but religion is still a main factor in both for and against arguments for capital punishment. christianity isnt alone on the revenge topic, other religions, such as islam, support capital punishment for crimes such as murder.

theft and rape are crimes, people are taught from birth that stealing is wrong. rape is a crime. you will suffer a jail sentence for them. revenge isnt illegal, depending on how it was acted out. human beings want revenge for even the most minute of things, its in our nature to stand up for ourselves, if i punched you, im pretty sure you would punch me back. sex is also a human desire, but we have many things in society which can deal with high sex drive without resulting to rape. treatment, masturbation, finding women/men to sleep with, even prostitution. unfortunately the same cant be said for murder.

rape warrants a 30 yr prison sentence (roughly). execution warrants a life imprisonment, unfortunately, that could mean 30 yrs as well, and in the case of some youth murderers, they would be given a 15 yr sentence, they would be out before they are 30. they have a chance to re-offend, and you do have cases where people re-offend. capital punishment gives us a %100 chance of no re-offending.

1. If you want to be barbaric enough to kill, why not just physically kick them to death? Or give them something from Saw?

2. Read some bloody sociology and psychology! Strange how most murders have had problems in life and are from low income families...

3. We allow passive euthanasia, not act euthanasia. Act started the holocaust. Passive involves no killing. Look it up.

4. We allow abortion up to 22 weeks because we consider that killing potential life, not life.

5. Religion is not a main factor. There have been ridiculous amount of killings in strong fundamental communities. Liberalism is the main factor. Bloody fucking hell!

6. We don't not do things because we're taught to, it's a lot more complicated than that.

7. Your mixing up revenge with the law. The law should be independent of revenge. Prison is about rehabilitation, not punishment.

8. Your second from last paragraph is rambling.

9. Bloody hell, use REAL facts and figures, not random guesses.

10. Killing someone with potential to kill a crime prevents crime, therefore we should kill everyone.

11. Read Meths post and counter that point by point. I dare you.
im not going to argue in this thread anymore. mainly cause my comp is **** and keeps ****ing up and annoying me. also, there is no point as well, you are allowed to have your own opinions on whatever you please (in this case, capital punishment), and it will not change. you have put forward good arguments for you point, and i respect you opinion.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King

Hate humans? Click here
I personally think that this should be how the death penalty works. The person is put in prison and if the Death Penalty is considered they don't know about it, we have them in prison for however long would be sentenced. (In this we should get rid of the life sentence and put a maximum of 50 years or so) When the person is to get out of prison they go up for inspection and if they show improvement let them leave, if they don't then you kill them. Also, if they faked the improvement and commit crime again then they get immediate death penalty.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by thedudemeister
im not going to argue in this thread anymore. mainly cause my comp is **** and keeps ****ing up and annoying me. also, there is no point as well, you are allowed to have your own opinions on whatever you please (in this case, capital punishment), and it will not change. you have put forward good arguments for you point, and i respect you opinion.

I don't respect your opinion and will never accept it.

I'm taking this post as a poor attempt to hide your immorality. Good day.
Quote by thedudemeister

The difference is that my opinion doesn't hurt anyone.
Yours involves taking people's lives, people who might be innocent.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by thedudemeister

i dont find that most christians hate the death penalty. the bible itself says that if a beast should kill a person, that beast is to be killed. i think a barbaric act of murder is deserving of the death penalty. i'm not so sure about rape, but that's becoming less and less punishable by death.

and if i were to be given the death penalty, i would choose a hanging. legally, if you survive the hanging you are let free.
Page 1 of 3