I need to write this five paragraph essay on how the pigs were able to manipulate and oppress the lower classes of animals. It's been awhile since I've read it, so would anybody mind giving me a little help?
Read it again

EDIT: seriously though. It was based on the Russian revolution,wasn't it?
Farmer=Tsar Nicolas II
Pigs=Bolsheviks
Animals=peasants

If you have any knowledge of the revolution,you should be able to do the essay;I think you should re-read the book,or at least skim it.
I just read this in English. Weird

Basically the method the pigs used was propaganda, you know this book is like a story about communism in Russia right?
so they make up all these reasons why they are better then everyone else and the other animals always accept it under the threat that they don't want Mr Jones to return. Then the pigs slowly take over and evryone else is living in fear because they have the dogs protecting them.

Edit: the dogs represent the secret police in Russia
My favorite band is Tool.

Quote by dio_dude
despite the funny name, unknownpunkrock is the coolest 08'er.

Ibanez GRG
Vox AD30VT
Randall RG50TC
Takamine C128
Dano Wah
Yamaha S90
it's only like a hundred pages long, you should just read it again.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Well, typical of me, I left it till the last minute. Due tommorow, and I'm going to bed in about 4-5 hours so reading it again is not an option.
The moral of the story is that pigs are assholes

(sorry I couldn't help just some other UGer said that and it amused me highly so I wanted to put it in here)
Thats one of my favorite books just talk about how the pigs manipulated the other animals. The pigs knew the other animals would not fight back.
I know now what I knew then, but I didn't know then what I know now
well lets c the pigs smell like **** and the other animals would do anything to be rid of those smelly bastards
The animals agreed the pigs were the smartest so Snowball and Napoleon ran for president/leader. Napoleon got Snowball exiled. Napoleon was very cunning, persuasive, and evil. If he didn't persuade the other animals to do something then he would fear them into doing it whether it be with his dogs that he trained (fear for life), or intimidation. Napoleon also started brainwashing the really dumb animals and changing what they saw as reality into a fake, Napoleon made reality, which would in time make some of the smarter animals change their perception of reality.

I haven't read the book for over 3 years and i know that. Look it up on sparknotes.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
wow, I had to write this last year....I feel for you man.

I'd tell you how to write it but it seems everybody above me got the main idea across
It's not that I don't know what's going on in the book, it's that I need five paragraphs on how the pigs were able to opress and manipulate the other animals.
I just gave you some examples. Just elaborate on them by using examples from the book, bull****ting, etc. and you have yourself an essay. It's easy.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
I love how the Allies and Nazis are portrayed in that book...and the Kulaks. Awesome allegory.
love that book big time, the rules written on the house (i think that's where they were) and the slight changes throughout the book is a key feature to me
Quote by slayaplaya

(oh! maybe some one will sig that witty comment! maybe not...)
Quote by leaping badger
love that book big time, the rules written on the house (i think that's where they were) and the slight changes throughout the book is a key feature to me

They were painted on the barn if i remember correctly. They also got changed later a bunch of times til the point it just said "4 legs good, 2 legs bad" and ironically, Napoleon started walking on his hind legs like a human.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Well the dogs that Napoleon uses in Chapter 5 (I Think..) were to represent Stalin's military force, and how he used them to scare the people, as well as exiling Snowball (Trotsky). He also told people that Snowball was evil and that the windmill idea was originally his and Snowball has stolen it. Napoleon also changed the 7 (?) commandments to be that no animal shall sleep in a bed WITH SHEETS so that the pigs could get a better rest and the other animals would believe that the pigs were above them.

EDIT - As well as this, during the first harvest it is stated that the pigs did no work, only supervised. This would lead the other animal to think they were of superior intelligence

GAS
Throbak Stonebender | Fulltone Deja Vibe | Catalinbread Semaphore
Last edited by Stuarttt-1 at Jun 8, 2008,
They changed the commandments, lied to the animals for personal gain, took advantage of their stupidity, made false statistics and assured them life was better because they weren't ruled by humans.
Quote by Led_Zeppelin992
I did enjoy the book, but writing essays is a pain in the ass.

agreed.

also: The pigs got the other animals to agree that since they were smarter they needed things like milk&apples and the "forbidden" house to keep themselves smarter and make sure that the farm would run ok.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
1. Intelligence
2. Intimidation
3. Terrorism
4. Persuasion
5. Propaganda
6. Putting the animals in a false reality

1. the animals agreed the pigs were smarter and so they got more privilleges such as being able to go in the house and gettin the milk and apples. also, since they were smarter they got to run for leader of the farm.

2. giving the speeches and yelling and chants all intimidated the animals that weren't following what was going on into following.

3. napoleon used the dogs as a terror device. one animal was even killed in front of the others right? this incited fear to the bones of the animals that if they didn't do what napoleon said, they would die.

4. the pigs were good speakers and could convince the other animals just about anything.

5. weren't there videos of propaganda? i haven't read the book for a while but i think there were. everything napoleon said about Snowball was propaganda.

6. the commandments on the barn got changed and the animals were getting older (and they were dumb to begin with) and they couldn't tell if the rules were the same as before. they ended up just going with them since they didn't know better.

correct me if i'm wrong. it's been a while.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Jun 8, 2008,
Quote by metal4all
1. Intelligence
2. Intimidation
3. Terrorism
4. Persuasion
5. Propaganda
6. Putting the animals in a false reality

Thanks a lot. Hate to be a little bugger, but I've got to get this done quickly because I have another piece of homework to do as well that I've just discovered.
Quote by metal4all
They were painted on the barn if i remember correctly. They also got changed later a bunch of times til the point it just said "4 legs good, 2 legs bad" and ironically, Napoleon started walking on his hind legs like a human.

mhmm then it become 4 legs good 2 legs better

and also the rules about beds
Quote by slayaplaya

(oh! maybe some one will sig that witty comment! maybe not...)
**** dude.

Do you go to Hastings?

They made everyone in 10th grade read that book last year. SUCKSSS
Snowball=Lenin
Napoleon=Stalin

Snowball got everyone to love him with his original commandments of the animals. When Napoleon came he changed the rules slowly to give the pigs more power.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by drunkinkoala
They changed the commandments, lied to the animals for personal gain, took advantage of their stupidity, made false statistics and assured them life was better because they weren't ruled by humans.

Why is this the first time I've seen that avatar?
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
In all honesty, Animal Farm is a really ****ing difficult book to write about, as you only end up comparing it to the Russian Revolution.
Yeah dude read it again, it's only a couple of hours' worth of reading and a great read.

"The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society"