Page 1 of 3
I suck at bargaining and always end up paying full price or walking out. Maybe it's because I'm 20, but I look like a 12 year old girl (and YES I am a girl). Any tips for how you 'haggle' down the price at places like Guitar Center?
Apparently you can't haggle GC employees anymore. New policy or somethin'.

You could just ask nicely or attempt to seduce them? I've seduced many an employee of L&M in my day.

Seriously, just be nice and sound interested in the object you wish to buy. Most of these employees want to sell equipment, so just hold firm at a price you find fair. Try not to undercut them too severely though, seeing as they aren't idiots.
Just be stern. I just go in there ask them what they can do for me, and if they can't do anything I threaten walking out, and they usually break. Just gotta remember that you have all the leverage!
Gibson.
most ppl at GC will mark stuff down as they get payed bonuses by the amount of stuff they sell not the price just be nice to the person
find anything you can on the guitar that you could say would lower its value, any small scratches, buckle rash, factory defects - anything. the store i go to, the guys point these things out to me, and offer me the discounts i get, i don't even have to ask, just stay confident, because once you start to seem like you aren't confident in what you are saying, they know they have you.
"Man, I'd love to buy that but I only have [15% less than sticker] dollars in my wallet."

I don't understand what it is but large wads of cash can easily influence the weak minded. Especially at stores where a lot of the customers take out financing and such.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Look at some price comparison website, find the lowest possible one and go to them with the address of the site. After all you can always buy the guitar there. You might even bluff saying that someone sells it cheaper without any proof.
This is not a signature.
heres several ive been meaning to use:

"oh, well i remember seeing this same thing online for (around 10% or so) less, but i dont remember where" usually if the person is nice, they will accept it or look the other way.

or i plan to mod i squier affinity (involves removing all the paint, so im going to ask for a really messy one, or a bad demo. so i can get it quite some less.
Guitars:
Mitchell MD-100SCE Acoustic/electric
Gibson SGJ 2014

TC MojoMojo (it'll arrive eventually) > TC Hall of Fame > Orange Micro Terror stack

my tube preamp project idea
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Apparently you can't haggle GC employees anymore. New policy or somethin'.

You could just ask nicely or attempt to seduce them? I've seduced many an employee of L&M in my day.

Seriously, just be nice and sound interested in the object you wish to buy. Most of these employees want to sell equipment, so just hold firm at a price you find fair. Try not to undercut them too severely though, seeing as they aren't idiots.

You still can. Google recent interviews of Robert Eastman and Marty Albertson of Guitar Center ... they stated that as long as margins are met, they will negotiate the price.

Being nice is indeed the best way to negotiate.

Quote by Free to Guitar
"Man, I'd love to buy that but I only have [15% less than sticker] dollars in my wallet."

I don't understand what it is but large wads of cash can easily influence the weak minded. Especially at stores where a lot of the customers take out financing and such.
Most smaller stores (not commenting on chain stores here) in European countries prefer to deal in cash if they can, because credit card or cheque payments can cause them extra hassle if something is returned within a couple of days. Also a solid sale right that second is always going to be preferable to them perhaps not getting the money until the next day, and there's nothing faster than a big wad of notes. I imagine it might be a similar case in America.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
At guitarcenter they have a new policy that you can't bargain with them, I tried it with my Hellraiser a few days ago.
Nevarr. I've bought all my stuff at my local shop and I always get discounts and free stuff.

*off to check out your profile*

EDIT: Typo.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
i only got £10 off my MIM strat, any good or should i have gone further?
/CENTER]
Wave the cash and be ready to walk. All there is to it. Most places will not let you walk, especially if you have your cash in hand. You need to be firm too. Also be ready to point out any flaws in something to get your price. Another important thing is to talk to a manager or owner if it's a small shop and form a relation. They can do things the peons can't.

GC will still haggle. That "New Policy" talk is a load of bullsh*t. There is not a place that won't haggle as they can't move much nowadays. Say what they want. If my GC pulled that, I would out right call them liars and say there is a reason they can't move anything in the store. Why? Because if they think you will buy into that, they think you are stupid. Which tends to really piss me off. And no, I never pay marked price on big ticket stuff like amps and guitars, due to the fact you can often get at least 15%.
Quote by MrFlibble
Most smaller stores (not commenting on chain stores here) in European countries prefer to deal in cash if they can, because credit card or cheque payments can cause them extra hassle if something is returned within a couple of days. Also a solid sale right that second is always going to be preferable to them perhaps not getting the money until the next day, and there's nothing faster than a big wad of notes. I imagine it might be a similar case in America.

It's pretty much the same in the US. Credit companies apply a surcharge against the merchant when you use plastic. It's usually 2-5% of the purchase price and no charging extra for using plastic or they'll cut you off. So businesses like cash. Also, a lot of stores in my area sell instruments through finance plans, so much down a month, etc. Immediate, up front payment is always nice.

But there's also something about a big greasy wad of green that makes some store clerks a little nuts.

Quote by CJRocker
Wave the cash and be ready to walk.

That's an important point to keep in mind. If you aren't willing to say "well, thanks for your time" and scoot, you've already lost.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Last edited by Free to Guitar at Jun 8, 2008,
Does pointing out that it's a floor model still work in lowering the price?Especially if they're trying to sell it as if marked as new?
hm, what about:

"i have (15 or 20%, or whatever you feel is a good amount) less in cash with me, or i can try to return later next week with my credit card to pay sticker price"

that way they get the cash they want, not on card, any you gey one hell of a discount.

and if they question why you have x amount of money, say you were looking as (insert cheaper guitar here) and had extra for accessories.
Guitars:
Gibson SGJ 2014

TC MojoMojo (it'll arrive eventually) > TC Hall of Fame > Orange Micro Terror stack

Quote by pl0x
i only got £10 off my MIM strat, any good or should i have gone further?

£10 off is an extra £10 in your pocket
Quote by ThrashIsGreat
Just be stern. I just go in there ask them what they can do for me, and if they can't do anything I threaten walking out, and they usually break. Just gotta remember that you have all the cleavage!!!

FIXED
Go to a local store, and haggle there. It's not to fun at GC.
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
i paid $365 for my epiphone G400
but it was a graduation present from my mom
so no complaints =)
Epiphone G400
Ibanez GSR200
Peavey Mark III

Quote by Skar578
hm, what about:

"i have (15 or 20%, or whatever you feel is a good amount) less in cash with me, or i can try to return later next week with my credit card to pay sticker price"

that way they get the cash they want, not on card, any you gey one hell of a discount.

and if they question why you have x amount of money, say you were looking as (insert cheaper guitar here) and had extra for accessories.

If they ask why, say it doesn't matter why you have that much money and it's none of their business to know. Simply say you want that model because it has what you want, and don't let them offer you something else.
I only got $50 off my $575 (sticker+tax) purchase when I got my gear initially. At least it was something.
U-G Profile

Gear:
Seagull S Series Acoustic
Ibanez RG2EX1
DigiTech Grunge Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
DigiTech Hardwire Series TL-2 Metal Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
1980 Fender Vibro Champ (Weber Speaker, 6L6)
Negotiating is an art form and can't be taught online.

Don't go in there with some "company x sells this Gibson for $150." crap. Its good to price shop but don't annoy the sales personnel with some bogus price comparisons. A lot of times salespeople will recommend other products. This isn't a bad thing! Chances are there's a bonus on the sale. The sales associate is more likely to give you a good deal on it.
dont ask how much theyll lower it. tell them what you're gonna pay but lower. for example, if the guitar is 1000 bucks, and you wanna pay 850, say 750. they say no, then you say ok fine 800. they say we can give you 850 is that ok? then you say *sigh* aight.

if you cant do that, you can always ask them if they can throw in a pedal or some cables or something. at least get something out of it for free.

also they have to paid on commission and it's really useful to know how much the store pays for the guitar.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Last edited by apak at Jun 8, 2008,
Your a girl, you job is easy. Just wear something tight and go to the shop every other day for 3 weeks before buying and flirt with the workers.

have fun
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
im in the same state right now, looking for my second guitar and i bought the first on ebay, so i havent had experience with haggling on guitars. (lots on cars and bikes and stuff though)

hows this idea? Go in and dont go right to the guitar you want. look at others first. check them out thurougly maybe even play them. then look to the one you want, check it out very thuroughly, play it. ask for a sales person to maybe explain why its better than one of the other guitars you looked at (prefferably a much cheaper one, and yes even though you already know the difference plain as day) then start saying, well its a lot more than that one... and i was only looking to spend "other ones sticker price". then see what they say about giving you a free case or lowering the price or whatever.

would that work pretty good? usually i like to make them start the negotiation when it comes to cars and stuff too, if they start it, it usually ends up like this:

$800 guitar. they say well we can lower it to 750, you say 600, they say ok about 700 and you say the most i can do is 650. its yours.

if you start it it goes like this:

$800 guitar, you say 600, they say 750, then you say how about 650, then they say they cant sell it less than 700.

atleast thats what happens with other things ive negotiated on.
Funnily enough, the "sticker price" episode of King of the Hill was on tonight.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Thread almost exactly the same as this earlier today. Heres what I said in that one.

well they work on commission, so if they've spent a lot of time selling you something, they don't want to see it all wasted. Try out the guitar THOROUGHLY, make sure you ask a lot of questions so they know you're interested. Also ask if they have any 'bundle' deals. When I got my first guitar the guy threw in a gig bag, strings, picks and about 50% off an amp, they'll hook you up if you wanna get some extras along with the guitar.

When it comes time to go to the counter and he rings up the price, look in your wallet, then look at the guy, then look at your wallet, then if you brought friends (and you really should) look at them, then look at the guy disappointedly. if he doesn't say anything, say "ehhh I don't know if I can do that, man". Now you're in business. Don't make it obvious that you're bargaining with the guy, just act like you only have a certain amount of money. I know its been said before, but give some money to a friend beforehand. The guy should at some point ask how much money you have, tell him "I've got about $***" the guy will see what is the lowest he can possibly do, if its good but a little over what you said, ask your friend for the money. If not, say "I could borrow a little more money I guess, but I think thats just too much" and walk out. He'll try to work something out to keep you from leaving as long as you did the whole aforementioned 'take your time' deal.
Quote by BaffAttack
Funnily enough, the "sticker price" episode of King of the Hill was on tonight.

that was hilarious cause there was a progressive insurance comercial on
"let us do the price cmoparing for you"
"He did all the price comparing for me on that dishwasher"
lmao

back on tocpic, haggling at guitar center sucks
no good
but the local shop by my house is pretty much giving **** away, so i dont even have to haggle
they have a fender MIA Fat Strat, list $1300 going for $750
thank god 3 different guitar shops failed last year!
Quote by Carnae839
i paid $365 for my epiphone G400
but it was a graduation present from my mom
so no complaints =)

You got ripped off man, I payed ~$295 for mine with tax and it is the Alpine White version. Hopefully your talking about the Deluxe Flametop version.
ive never paid sticker price
and if gc cant haggle they go out of buisiness
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Erm, when I bought my first setup last month from Guitar Center and spent nearly $1000, they wouldn't budge at all. My brother who has about 10 years of experience with the guitar even came along and he couldn't get them to budge at all. (they wouldn't even throw in a pack of picks...)

Maybe my guitar center just sucks?
i know this is illegal, but if u find a guitar you really really like, and you know will buy it. Then why not just make a tiny scratch on the back with a needle or something on purpose. Then just make a big issue on it, and they will knock some off. Also bear in mind they are on commision so they want to sell
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
just dont get caught. ha.

im going to (hopefully) get the Ibanez RGX20. how much should you suggest i go for? i would need a strap and cables, but im all set on a cheap amp now. My one friend has one as part of a package deal he might sell, and another knows a small store where he can get a discount because he knows the guy.

i may go to the small store, but im not sure what he has there, ill report eventually.
Guitars:
Gibson SGJ 2014

Quote by huey4prez
I suck at bargaining and always end up paying full price or walking out. Maybe it's because I'm 20, but I look like a 12 year old girl (and YES I am a girl). Any tips for how you 'haggle' down the price at places like Guitar Center?

depends on the guitar or amp. what are you looking for?

you need to do your homework. find bargins, be ready to walk out.
find flaws in the store model.

"does a cable come with this?"
"does it come wt a setup?" "the E string is buzzing." "there's a scratch in the finish."
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Page 1 of 3