Page 1 of 2
I saw a Discovery Channel program about the predictions of a prophet named Nostradamus. Apparently, he's predicted lots of major events like wars and 9/11, and he predicted that the world would end soon. I'm not sure, but I think he said it would end on December 12th, 2012.

The Bible also predicts lots of stuff like that, and all the 'signs' of the end of ages are supposedly coming to fruition.

Without arguing about wether Christianity is 'right' or 'wrong' or whatever, what do you guys think about the apocalypse? Is it really coming, how will it happen, etc.
Quote by FOCOrock
a prophet named Nostradamus.

lul that's a funny name.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
people interpret vague writings to fit past events.

that's all that happens with nostradamus.

when someone interprets an event beforehand and prevents it in the nick of time I refuse to believe.

apparently the antichrist is george bush.

but that came from 'mabus'

change the m to a w, get rid of the a and add an h.

see how ridiculous it is?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Broken_Drum
Deterioration of natural resources.

I think I've heard that, that 2012 is when we'll really get into trouble, and that that year will be the start of the end, not the actual end. What resources? Oil, probably, but unless that starts a third world war, then I don't see how that will cause an apocalypse.
The end has been predicted before, the day has come and gone but the world lives on.
But just incase; I'm gonna have a good time. What the hell, I won't need my liver where I'm going.
I was living a lie, now I'm dying to know the truth...
I reckon the end of the world (if there even is one) will not be religious. We will run out of resources or something, or global warming will have it's effect.

GAS
Throbak Stonebender | Fulltone Deja Vibe | Catalinbread Semaphore
Quote by FOCOrock
I think I've heard that, that 2012 is when we'll really get into trouble, and that that year will be the start of the end, not the actual end. What resources? Oil, probably, but unless that starts a third world war, then I don't see how that will cause an apocalypse.

2012 is the end of the mayan calendar. no more no less.

all that starts is they start again from 0.

it has nothing to do with nostradamus's writings. and if it did, read my previous post.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
untill UG takes over the internet then guitarist will rule all...and as for rappers...well we burn them with our massive OD. Thats right we don't put up with that sh*t
Quote by InvaderTSN
It's the Asian blood in his veins. It allows him to accomplish things normal people are unable to.

Puberty was very vague. I literally locked myself in a room and played guitar.
Quote by Stuarttt-1
I reckon the end of the world (if there even is one) will not be religious. We will run out of resources or something, or global warming will have it's effect.

But the boundary between religious and not religious is nonexistent. Everything can be viewed through a religious lens.

I guess Nostradamus' predictions were pretty vague. It's kind of like how when you expect something, you are more likely to interpret it happening, like hoping to see the Loch Ness monster, and thinking that every wave is the monster.
Nostradamus never said anything about 2012 as far as I know. However, I have a book of Nostradamus' predictions and there is one that sounds strikingly similar to 9/11. I've had that book since about 98 or so, before 9/11 anyway
Rule number three: Never open the package

It's magic magic baby!

Yoink!
He didn't predict them very well, considering it takes knowledge of the events to associate them with the prediction.
omg u no about nostradamnus
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I laugh at the fact that most of the people that don't believe in God believe in this.

I find it enormously funny. Hell, I had some atheist go, "Where is your god now? The Mayans say the world will end in 2012?"

I answered with, "How do you feel about not believing in an intelligent God that created the universe, but believing in a tribe of people who got killed off by Europeans and couldn't even feed their own people?"
Hey look, a stoner/doom album.

GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

E-father of TheSPillow/Sam
E-brothers with Entity0009
2012 is the end of the Mayan Calendar in a good or bad way?
I mean, they just do their calendar in 2,012 year increments, or they thought the world would end? I forgot about that. The mayans were pretty good with time, I thought.
The Bible outright says no-one but God will know. And it says the signs are holy wars and famine and such. These things have always gone on throughout history.

As for the 9/11 thing, that's bollocks, I bet he made a really general prediction then claimed it was 9/11 that he was thinking of. And 2012 is a theory that the world will end because some people so batshit crazy they offered human hearts up to the sun decided to end their calendar and predicted a flood.

Conclusion: The world is not ending. Go back to living your mediocre life.

EDIT: It has been brought to my attention that it was Aztecs who offered hearts to the sun. I do apologise, since apparently the Mayans were in fact a fairly intelligent and civilised people.

Also, inset "THEY" before the word claimed in reference to Nostradamus and you'll see what I was saying. I know he died ages ago and couldn't make that claim.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Last edited by break-me-in at Jun 13, 2008,
If we can't find replacements for current resources in time, then we'll eventually 'revert' back to the same lifestyles we had before the industrial revolution.
Quote by FOCOrock
Nostradamus

Can't wait till that album comes out...
Ibanez RG350DX
Randall RH150G3
Harley Benton Cab (Shut up.)
Roland Cube 60
Dunlop Wah Wah Pedal.

mmmmm

Guitar fund - £300/???
Help me out guise!!1!
Quote by FOCOrock
2012 is the end of the Mayan Calendar in a good or bad way?
I mean, they just do their calendar in 2,012 year increments, or they thought the world would end? I forgot about that. The mayans were pretty good with time, I thought.

their calendar and ours aren't the same.

so it's not 2012 for them.

also
Quote by wiki
The Mesoamerican Long Count calendar forms the basis for a New Age belief, first forecast by José Argüelles, that a cataclysm will take place on or about 21 December 2012, a forecast that mainstream Mayanist scholars consider a mis-interpretation.[12]

Quote by element4433
The day the search bar is used will probably be the end of the world as we know it.

[/lame Search Bar joke]
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
Quote by break-me-in
The Bible outright says no-one but God will know. And it says the signs are holy wars and famine and such. These things have always gone on throughout history.

As for the 9/11 thing, that's bollocks, I bet he made a really general prediction then claimed it was 9/11 that he was thinking of. And 2012 is a theory that the world will end because some people so batshit crazy they offered human hearts up to the sun decided to end their calendar and predicted a flood.

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I thought that Mayans rarely (if ever) did sacrifices. I thought that was the Aztecs.
Also, Nastradamus died before 9/11. I know what you mean though. I think he just said something about 'two towers' or the like. I could be totally wrong though.
He/any other prophet has ever said ''This will happen at this time and this will be the result.'' They make vague references.

Wait, wait, wait. There will be another world war. Mmk I am now a prophet!
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
I made my friend a bet of $100 that the apocalypse doesnt happen in 2012 so if it does end I don't have to give him no money
Quote by Bonesaw
I made my friend a bet of $100 that the apocalypse doesnt happen in 2012 so if it does end I don't have to give him no money

I hope it ends just so you have to give him that $100!

Wait a minute, have I failed? If it ends you've got to give him $100, no? So yeah I hope it does end.
Rule number three: Never open the package

It's magic magic baby!

Yoink!
If it does happen, I think you'd be more worried about that than $100.

So Lemoninfluence, you're saying that we're misenterpreting the Mayan's calendar?
Quote by FOCOrock
If it does happen, I think you'd be more worried about that than $100.

So Lemoninfluence, you're saying that we're misenterpreting the Mayan's calendar?

The person who made that prediction has interpreted something wrong.

for all I know the 2012 may have the same significance as a changing of millennia or a changing from BC to AD.

Quote by element4433
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Arg%C3%BCelles

I don't know much about the mayan calendar but that's the guy who made the prediction.

reading that makes me trust his prediction even less.

Quote by element4433
Quote by homair
I hope it ends just so you have to give him that $100!

Wait a minute, have I failed? If it ends you've got to give him $100, no? So yeah I hope it does end.

if it ends it won't matter if I give him the money or not we'll be dead. but I don't believe it's going to end then so
Yeah, the Apocalypse is coming. No I don't know when. I doubt it has anything to do with the Mayan calendar. And I'm not one of those freaks walking around going "ZOMG REPENT TEH END OF TEH URFS IS COMIN TOMOROW!!!!!111!". But it'll come around someday.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
in my sophomore science class we always watched a movie about natural disasters when we had subs or if we just ended a unit or something.

we watched one on solar flares, earthquakes, volcanoes, super tornadoes, etc.

apparently around 2012 there should be a solar flare that will send enough heat and radiation to either through the planet into black out, there will be super tornadoes tearing up tornado alley, a volcano in the canary islands will cause a tsunami to flood the east coast, yellowstone park will erupt destroying most of north america, etc.

so yeah, screw college man, i'm gonna party!
Quote by break-me-in

There's on really big flaw in what you just said. Its the part where you said he claimed it was 9/11. Nostradamus made the prediction hundreds of years ago in his time. Not even close to modern day times.
Quote by InvaderTSN
It's the Asian blood in his veins. It allows him to accomplish things normal people are unable to.

Puberty was very vague. I literally locked myself in a room and played guitar.
Quote by break-me-in
And 2012 is a theory that the world will end because some people so batshit crazy they offered human hearts up to the sun decided to end their calendar and predicted a flood.

actually, the Aztecs did the hearts but the Mayans did the calendar. and the calendar didnt actually end at 2012, they merely ran out of room on the stone. there are four reported mayan calendars with different years.
Quote by DimebagJosho
Can't wait till that album comes out...

bwahaha.
Man...Y2K anybody?
Listen, worry about getting hit by a car instead - a lot more reasonable.
cars....
Quote by metabolicmaggot
Win. +1 cookie for hide the beer.

Page 1 of 2