Allright, my ashdown fallen angel, as seen here http://www.ashdownmusic.com/guitar/detail.asp?ID=146 Seems to of had its tubes worn out or something. Its showing all the signs of worn out tubes (turns on fine, but no sound is made, even after a 5 min warm up), but i never had any problems up untill now, and ive only had this amp for about 6 months, With only home use (although i did play nearly everyday, for around an average of 20-45 minutes maybe) And at lower volumes. So im pretty sure its a tube problem, but im not sure, and i dont know which tubes need replacing, all the technical info is on that link above, I also have no idea about re-biasing, although im pretty sure it will need rebiasing, due to it being fixed bias.

Basically, Is that an average life span for a set of tubes? how do i make sure its 100% a tube problem. and what would you reccomend for replacement? Any advice on the situation would be great thanks.
i will, but its a big weight to carry, thought id get some opinions first, before i have to haul it around.
ouch! 10 tubes, that's gonna be pricey
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
well, like i was saying, its probably either the power tubes, or the pre amp tubes, but i dont know which, anyhow, 6 at the most :P
Preamp tubes: About 1 year under fairly constant use
Power Amp Tubes: 2-3 (thank God)

If it's not making any sound, it could be an output transformer. Failed power tubes would most likely blow the main fuse. Your preamp tubes often show signs of failing, ie sound cuts in and out, noise, etc and almost never fail all at once. Likewise, they also most likely not light up, or have visible damage to the internals. It would be almost impossible to not have one of these signs. Another plausible explanation is a failed input jack on the amp. Try some contact cleaner in it. And FYI, unless it was improperly biased to begin with or you change tube types, you should not need a rebias.
Quote by CJRocker
Preamp tubes: About 1 year under fairly constant use
Power Amp Tubes: 2-3 (thank God)

If it's not making any sound, it could be an output transformer. Failed power tubes would most likely blow the main fuse. Your preamp tubes often show signs of failing, ie sound cuts in and out, noise, etc and almost never fail all at once. Likewise, they also most likely not light up, or have visible damage to the internals. It would be almost impossible to not have one of these signs. Another plausible explanation is a failed input jack on the amp. Try some contact cleaner in it. And FYI, unless it was improperly biased to begin with or you change tube types, you should not need a rebias.

Thanks for you help, i know for sure its fixed bias, i would still be using the same type of tubes, but id probably have to change brands, because i havent seen any proprietry ashdown tubes on the market, ill check out that stuff in the morning, im fairly sure they didnt light up the other day when i turned it on, although im not sure which set they were, the power, or the preamps. Ill take off the Back of the amp in the morning, and see if theres any internal damage, or wether the glass is still clear or whatnot.
To CJ:

I was under the impression that preamp tubes were usually good to 4-5 years for standard stuff like tung-sol and high price RCAs could go 20-30 years.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
To CJ:

I was under the impression that preamp tubes were usually good to 4-5 years for standard stuff like tung-sol and high price RCAs could go 20-30 years.

Huh? I've never heard of most standard stuff going more than a year before it's time for a change. Poweramp tubes can last a long long time, but generally not preamp from what I've heard.
supernaut,

if the tubes didn't light up like you said then maybe try taking them out and puting them back in 1st. when I changed my power tubes on the FA-40 just last weekend, two of them didn't light so I pulled them out and put them back in and now they all light up.

make sure its dark under there, put a sheet over the amp and then get yourself under too. some preamp tubes like electro harmonix hardly light up at all. I imagine you have Sovteks though so it probably shouldn't be a problem.

if its your preamp tubes then you don't really need a whole set of 4 and could just replace the faulty ones. although its good to have some extra ones anyway. if its your power tubes then you would have to buy a matched pair.

since the FA-60 has just two power tubes, you know the two in line together are your power tubes whereas the 4 in line are the preamp. the preamp tubes on amps are typically those in the line closest to the guitar input jack and "deeper" inside the amp since you are looking at the back of the amp.

since you said some tubes don't look like they are lit then I'd go with that. but another easy thing to check is to ensure the speaker wires are properly connected to the speaker and have not come loose.
Last edited by bacchus39 at Jun 9, 2008,