So here is my deal. I used to work at a movie theater for $9.50/hr scooping icecream till I got in a squabble with one of the new managers and she fired me. I worked there for two years. So my aunt, who is a high up manager with UPS said she would get me a job working for her. She said it would pay good but be a hard job and would help pay for university. I thought by pay good she meant maybe $15/hr. It turns out the job is 10:00 PM to 3:00 or later A.M lifting 80lb boxes non stop. The pay is $8.50/hr, and with her in a high up position I can't get any promotions and have no future advancing. If I take the job any they pay any of my tuition, i have to work for an estimated 2 years after college. I figure this sounds pretty sucky. I looked around and I found other jobs paying much more just to talk on phones and stuff. I don't know how to tell her I don't want the job, because she is the type of person that will bag on me for years to come if I don't take it. I can't do anything like poor work performance, or bad interview or not show up, because it will affect her, since she is putting her name behind me. I just need ways to tell my family that I want to go a different route. Any help would be appreciated
Quote by darkstar2466
Ollieyoufool seems like a self-made man.

Quote by MightyAl
If you punched through plasterboard, I'm pretty sure you can fill it.
If you punched through bricks, why are you scared of your dad?
Bad back.

/Thread.
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
I'd rather join the Navy and have them pay my tuition. +1 on the bad back excuse.
Turn up to the interview, and thell them flat out that you're waiting to hear from other applications etc.
You never know, they might even offer you something better.
Just tell her straight up, she's your aunt. She'll understand.
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

Make sexual advances on her.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
It'd be hard to say no to her unless you definitely have an offer of employment from somewhere else. Maybe say that you'll think about it for a while, and use that time to apply for other jobs.
You have to work for them if they pay any of your tuition? That sounds like a raw deal.

Take the job, pay your own tuition, and quit when you have the skills for a career.

Unemployed can't be choosy.

-SD
Just politely decline the job, and if she holds it against you, she's a fucking bitch and shouldn't matter that much to you.
Nine planets surround the sun
Only one does the sun embrace
Upon this watered one
So much we take for granted

So let us sleep outside tonight
Lay down in our mother's arms
For here we can rest safely
Quote by rickyy
Bad back.

/Thread.

definitely the way to go
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
Just be straight with her, ask her if she would take the job if she was in your position and there's better paid jobs available. If you're in college right now you don't wanna get bad back or any injuries, it could affect your studying etc...
Being honest is the best thing to do in my opinon.
You made $9.50 an hour and all you did was scoop ice cream WTF but anyway is it possible for you to go and talk to your manager and try and get your job back
BromptonCocktail of the A7X Army PM Copius
Quote by Marley167
Just be straight with her, ask her if she would take the job if she was in your position and there's better paid jobs available. If you're in college right now you don't wanna get bad back or any injuries, it could affect your studying etc...
Being honest is the best thing to do in my opinon.

This seems pretty good. I just don't even know how I could study working graveyards, with school during the day I would have no time. And with no hope of advancement, it seems pretty stupid to take the job.
Quote by darkstar2466

Quote by MightyAl
inb4rapeher?
Gear:

Guitars:
ESP ltd FX-400
Epiphone les paul jr.

Amps:
Line 6 spider II combo 30 watt
Krank Rev. Jr. full stack tube.
Quote by BigChief84
You made $9.50 an hour and all you did was scoop ice cream WTF but anyway is it possible for you to go and talk to your manager and try and get your job back

I don't want the job back. They treat the employees like garbage and have wayyy too many health and safety code violations that I don't want. They had me cleaning rat poo out of cupboards with little protection
Quote by darkstar2466

Quote by MightyAl
Quote by Ollieyoufool
I don't want the job back. They treat the employees like garbage and have wayyy too many health and safety code violations that I don't want. They had me cleaning rat poo out of cupboards with little protection

Blackmail.
believe me, man. Call center jobs are pretty ****ty. I'd rather have an honest, low paying job than a 15 bucks an hour call center job where you call people and sell them magazine subscriptions and stuff.
Quote by CoreysMonster
believe me, man. Call center jobs are pretty ****ty. I'd rather have an honest, low paying job than a 15 bucks an hour call center job where you call people and sell them magazine subscriptions and stuff.

Well there is a musician's friend call center here 5 min from my house that pays great. Its a great gig from what I hear. I sent in a resume today.
Quote by darkstar2466

Quote by MightyAl
Quote by Ollieyoufool
So here is my deal. I used to work at a movie theater for $9.50/hr scooping icecream till I got in a squabble with one of the new managers and she fired me. I worked there for two years. So my aunt, who is a high up manager with UPS said she would get me a job working for her. She said it would pay good but be a hard job and would help pay for university. I thought by pay good she meant maybe $15/hr. It turns out the job is 10:00 PM to 3:00 or later A.M lifting 80lb boxes non stop. The pay is $8.50/hr, and with her in a high up position I can't get any promotions and have no future advancing. If I take the job any they pay any of my tuition, i have to work for an estimated 2 years after college. I figure this sounds pretty sucky. I looked around and I found other jobs paying much more just to talk on phones and stuff. I don't know how to tell her I don't want the job, because she is the type of person that will bag on me for years to come if I don't take it. I can't do anything like poor work performance, or bad interview or not show up, because it will affect her, since she is putting her name behind me. I just need ways to tell my family that I want to go a different route. Any help would be appreciated

Tell her this.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
as much as i love my family, i would say screw it. take the best deal, dont let family pressure you into anything.
Quote by rickyy
Bad back.

/Thread.

+1
DRINK APPLE JUICE
O.J. will kill you
Last edited by Ringtone at Jun 8, 2008,
Bad back excuse +1000 I know I couldn't lift 80lb packages for very long I'd absolutely kill my back. It hurts just thinking about it
Quote by saxaxe
YESI love you.

Quote by Wulphy
Ever stuck their finger in their ass, just to see what it was like? I did

Quote by thewho65
My sister has a big ass
Just explain that you've found better options, if she doesn't understand then be thankful that you dont have to work for her
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
You can't tell your aunt something as simple as that without getting advice from the internet first?
No way anyone can be that socially retarded.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by BassistGal
You can't tell your aunt something as simple as that without getting advice from the internet first?
No way anyone can be that socially retarded.

Hmmm... maybe there are other people..... which I know is hard to believe, that may... JUST MAY.... have an idea that would be different. I KNOW i can say f you I don't want your job to my aunt. But you know, some people might have a better idea. So why don't you shut the hell up before you talk, think about what you say, and go drink bleach.
Quote by darkstar2466

Quote by MightyAl
I stand by my bad back theory. I used to work in the Produce Dept. at a grocery store and I had to lift banana boxes. Mind you they were only 40 lbs but after a while it does get quite tiring.
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
Quote by Ollieyoufool
Hmmm... maybe there are other people..... which I know is hard to believe, that may... JUST MAY.... have an idea that would be different. I KNOW i can say f you I don't want your job to my aunt. But you know, some people might have a better idea. So why don't you shut the hell up before you talk, think about what you say, and go drink bleach.

Sorry to double post but,

He is right though, Gal. It would be quite offensive to my aunt, at least..
Telling her: "No thanks *Name*, I found a job that pays better, and I don't really want the one you offered me".
Not that hard, and I can't see how is that offensive.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by rickyy
Sorry to double post but,

He is right though, Gal. It would be quite offensive to my aunt, at least..

Exactly. Its a company she's worked at for 28 years or so, and by even getting me the interview it was hard, so not taking the job is very offensive to her, I'm just trying to figure out how to do it with the least amount of offending as I possibly can, because I like my aunt, she's a nice lady. And I think asking questions to your peers, is the exact opposite of social retardation.
Quote by darkstar2466

Quote by MightyAl
Quote by Ollieyoufool
Exactly. Its a company she's worked at for 28 years or so, and by even getting me the interview it was hard, so not taking the job is very offensive to her, I'm just trying to figure out how to do it with the least amount of offending as I possibly can, because I like my aunt, she's a nice lady. And I think asking questions to your peers, is the exact opposite of social retardation.

Just tell her straight man, beating around the bush isn't in anyones interest+it's a big company, meaning potential employees are 2 a penny.
There's nothing wrong with standing up for yourself, what you say they offered is quite frankly bordering on slave labour. Tell her you can get a job somewhere else that pays better, but thank her for trying
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Quote by rickyy
I stand by my bad back theory. I used to work in the Produce Dept. at a grocery store and I had to lift banana boxes. Mind you they were only 40 lbs but after a while it does get quite tiring.

Man being a produce clerk is not that hard, speaking from experience.
Quote by BassistGal
Telling her: "No thanks *Name*, I found a job that pays better, and I don't really want the one you offered me".
Not that hard, and I can't see how is that offensive.

Her reply: "I'll cut you bitch".
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by DarkEra97
Man being a produce clerk is not that hard, speaking from experience.

Lick my banana, bitch.
Well considering I'm extremely athletic and used to work construction and everything, she wouldn't fall for bad body parts or anything
Quote by darkstar2466

Quote by MightyAl
hmm.. would she know that you got another job?

If not cant you just say that you're very busy with school and guitar?