this is gonna be a long thread. if ur bored easy look away.
first a little bak story. i work atta day camp and i have been asking to be a "music specialty" counesllor. now ive been playing piano all my life (im 20) but the thing is, 3 times a day, for fourty minutes i have to do music-related activities with kids. idk wat to do

for 40 minutes i have about 20 5-7 yr olds
2nd time i have about 20 8-12 yr olds
lastly i have mostly girls from ages 8-12

ik these kids wont want to learn theory, they're little, and the budget in my towns terrible i haev a pair of moraccas and thatsa about it to work with

any idea for activities would be GREATLY appreciated. (i hafta do that 3x thing, everyday, mon-fri, for 8 weeks)
If you can get them all something to bang on, teach them various rhythms, like salsa and blues rhythms, then show how chords and melodies go over those rhythms.
you could probably have them do a rhythm thing. have the kids do different beats and rhythms together. like have 5 kids do one rhythm, another 5 do a different rhythm over top of that one and so on. you could also have the kids bring in different things too. kazoos, tambourines, and hand drums are always fun for kids.
Divide them into groups of 4, and make them into bands, then have a battle of the bands XD
try going to a summer camp that involves school.

retake 4th grade grammar, and buy a spelling book.

then learn basic computer skills.

Quote by entity0009
I once death-metal growled at my mother. Her response was

GENERAL of the ESP Army! I want YOU to Join NOW!
Quote by iburnmyfrendz66
try going to a summer camp that involves school.

retake 4th grade grammar, and buy a spelling book.

then learn basic computer skills.

I'm sorry but i agree. At first i thought "one of the 5-7 year olds must've gotten on the this guy's account."
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Maybe you can get them to make instruments, such as a flute.
Go to a hardware store and get some bamboo sticks for a couple dallars
and cut them.
Serch the net for the holes distance. Have them decorate it to whatever
they want. Then teach them some simple songs.

Maybe get the younger ones to sing simple songs,
if you have a piano or a maybe a guitar you can strum to.
thanks everyone who replied and gave suggestions. i love the ppl who reply and complain about shorthand typing on the internet. thanks for that guys. helpful.
that wasn't shorthand. that was complete nonsense. if i understood what you were asking a little better i would've attempted to help.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by adam52
i love the ppl who reply and complain about shorthand typing on the internet. thanks for that guys. helpful.
This website is not a text message. We have full keyboards and all members appreciate coherent typing.

Typing like an ass is not cool, kvlt, or punk; it is just stupid.
Quote by adam52
thanks everyone who replied and gave suggestions. i love the ppl who reply and complain about shorthand typing on the internet. thanks for that guys. helpful.
We complain because it is more difficult to read than normal peoples hand. If you want better responses, in future, write as if you were speaking, using complete words and proper grammar.

Try to find as many xylophones as possible. Also, ask them if they have recorders at home, if so, tell them to bring it in. Make them play some simple songs and try to make them improvise, sort of like dixieland jazz or something. Improvising is fun.

Quote by adam52
lastly i have mostly girls from ages 8-12
I'm resisting the urge to say a pedobear joke...
Quote by adam52

Why would you need shorthand on a forum where there isn't anyone potentially behind that crate ready to pop out and shoot you in the dome on Counter-Strike?
To teach them rhythm, have them beat cardwood and plastic boxes. Kids like beating on stuff. Keep them motivated by turning it into a game. Try longer and more complex rhythms and award the kid that can correctly repeat the longest series.

To teach them melody, have them (carefully) hit glass bottles filled with different quantities of water. I'm sure they'll love playing with water. Teach them simple songs. You could color the water according to pitch. You can saw different lengths of metal pipes too.

All kids love to sing. You can form a choir, have them sing in canon. If you have a piano, you can find out which ones have perfect pitch. I'm sure the parents would be pleased to know their child's musical aptitude at an early age. You can help the other ones train relative pitch. (I'd actually be interested in knowing how young kids evolve).

Now, personally I started basic music theory at age 8. And we didn't have a friendly tutor back then. I remember some kids couldn't devide yet when we learned about 8th and 16th notes. :-)