I have the CS-3 Compressor and was wondering if you guys had any setting suggestions for it. I've been fiddling around with it, and I usually find that it makes my bass strings very tinny and bright and adds a lot of feedback. Usually in order to get it to affect my tone the least I have to up the tone knob to max, which adds a considerable amount of feedback. Is there any way to get it to add sustain and compress without drastically changing my tone and keeping my bass strings sounding lie they should? Thanks.

Also, even without the sustainer, my bass strings sometimes sound too bright. The settings on my main lead channel are:
Drive - 3
Bass - 5
Mid - 9
Treble - 6
Presence - 7
If I lower the bass anymore it'll make the low strings even more tinny and bright. I keep the drive at 3 because I use a TS-9 over it for a subtle OD while my main distortion comes from my DS-1.

One more problem! Clarity! I can't seem to get the type of tone I want without chords being WAY too dirty. I call on the EQ'ing experts to help me out here, since I've been EQ'ing for days and days and days to no avail.

EQ'ing is a bitch.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: Maybe use my first channel as main distortion, use channel two for OD, and then use the TS9 to kick it into a different type of distortion, and use my DS-1 on my clean channel for a tasteful-type of distortion? Hmm.

For the EQ'ing problems and tones I was thinking for my main lead channel (1) a Petrucci/Vai-type heavy distortion but with chord clarity. For the lead 2, a type of very subtle OD, like the solo in "Lines In The Sand", the TS9 can boost to a bluesy-type OD. The DS-1 on the clean channel I'm looking for a tasteful, Al Di Meola-type distortion, good for fusion.

I know this is a wall of problems, but any and all help is appreciated.

EDIT: I run an Ibanez RG550RXX through a Carvin V3 combo with a Breed in the bridge and an Air Norton in the neck.
Last edited by JeffWiredBeck24 at Jun 8, 2008,
The ds-1 is probably your problem. It's good for messing up your tone. I've also heard the the cs-3 is pretty lackluster without some keeley mods on it.

Also, what kind of amp? That could be a major problem.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
The CS-3 I've found to be a bit of a problem child in my rig. It makes a ton of noise, for no noticeable gain in tone. The only time I use it is during solos to smooth out my otherwise noticeably uneven picking.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Try turning down your mids. Not to the point of no return, just to like 7 or 6.5. Then maybe turn your bass up a little and keep the tone on your compressor at 2/3 or 3/4. Report back if it doesn't work.
"there is no spoone" - The Matricks
Quote by Cutmyself
Try turning down your mids. Not to the point of no return, just to like 7 or 6.5. Then maybe turn your bass up a little and keep the tone on your compressor at 2/3 or 3/4. Report back if it doesn't work.

I was told boosting the mids and rolling back the bass would help improve clarity, but I'll try it out.

Low tone on the CS-3 usually kills my tone, but I'll see if it fits in to the grand scheme.
Quote by JeffWiredBeck24
I was told boosting the mids and rolling back the bass would help improve clarity, but I'll try it out.

Low tone on the CS-3 usually kills my tone, but I'll see if it fits in to the grand scheme.

While boosting mids and rolling back bass do increase clarity, too much of anything can be a bad thing.
Quote by Cutmyself
While boosting mids and rolling back bass do increase clarity, too much of anything can be a bad thing.

It helped a bit, but it's not quite there. The CS-3 is still killing the lows though. I've become obsessive about tone.
Quote by JeffWiredBeck24
It helped a bit, but it's not quite there. The CS-3 is still killing the lows though. I've become obsessive about tone.

If it's still killing the lows, keep dropping the mids a little and raising the bass. Just a little at a time. Maybe even drop the treble a little to compensate and maintain a relative ratio.
^All right, I suppose I'll end up trying all possible combinations.

Also, anyone know where Master Volume and Presence fit into all this? My Master is about 5 right now.
Quote by JeffWiredBeck24
^All right, I suppose I'll end up trying all possible combinations.

Also, anyone know where Master Volume and Presence fit into all this? My Master is about 5 right now.

Master isn't as relevant to your tone in the context that you speak of. What's your presence set to>?

Edit: Nevermind. I saw it at the top. Try fiddling with that, maybe drop it, as it can make your ton a little piercing.
Quote by JeffWiredBeck24
^Drop the Presence?

Fiddle with it a little bit. Prolly drop it.
Get Keeley to mod it. They sound much better after he works his magic.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I masturbated in front of a mirror and I pretended Bob Barker was giving me a handjob.

Quote by Bazilisck311

You know you're a guitar player if the pianist at your wedding plays "Eruption"