Sorry I havent Been able to get a definite answer on this. Crate V series Tube amps, do they have anything (tubes) in the pre amp and anyone who has one or has heard ones opinion on it. I play an epi les paul classic with PAF PRO and Super distortion. Need an amp for rock, metal, blues type music. So does anyone know if these amps are worthwhile or?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/tube-guitar-combo-amps?N=100001+338503&Ntk=All&Ntt=crate&Nty=1
I guess, there are some good solid state preamps, and amps in general, but tube amps just tend to be better.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Um, all tube means there is NOT an absence of preamp tubes

edit: beaten
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
People should stop saying "searchbar" and just start saying "google it dumbass"
people with large sig's are clearly compensating for something.
To answer your question, the V-Series amps are all tube and they do have tubes in the preamp. My V1512 (it's discontinued so it won't be on that link you posted) has 3 12AX7 preamp tubes and 2 EL84 power tubes. The V-Series amps can do blues and some rock very easily, but you will need a good OD for hard rock. Also, these amps aren't suited for metal, it will be hard to get one to do metal, even with an OD.
Agile AL-3000 Cherry Sunburst
Fender American Strat HSS
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Ibanez TS9 w/ Keeley Baked Mod
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3
Quote by Bpags868
To answer your question, the V-Series amps are all tube and they do have tubes in the preamp. My V1512 (it's discontinued so it won't be on that link you posted) has 3 12AX7 preamp tubes and 2 EL84 power tubes. The V-Series amps can do blues and some rock very easily, but you will need a good OD for hard rock. Also, these amps aren't suited for metal, it will be hard to get one to do metal, even with an OD.

Actually they are capable of doing metal with a decent OD, and if I remember correctly, the V series are voiced a bit more modernly than the Palominos and have a bit more gain, so they have an edge in that category.

With my Visual Sound Double Trouble I can get a great metal tone out of my Palo. Low-end chug and all.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by SSL27
Actually they are capable of doing metal with a decent OD, and if I remember correctly, the V series are voiced a bit more modernly than the Palominos and have a bit more gain, so they have an edge in that category.

With my Visual Sound Double Trouble I can get a great metal tone out of my Palo. Low-end chug and all.

So would this be a good representation of the amps distortion without any effects? I'm not planning on throwing the amp, just an idea of the distortion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-z_qNNcVz8
i don't think you need to get the 50watt version.
but yea, thats the sound of the distortion. The only thing i didn't like was that the amp doesn't have separate eq's for each channel
TS

I answered your question pretty clearly in your other thread, and almost everyone in that thread said to get the v50, don't duplicate threads when they've already been answered!!!
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
TS

I answered your question pretty clearly in your other thread, and almost everyone in that thread said to get the v50, don't duplicate threads when they've already been answered!!!

They said the VK 50 and I told them that wasnt what I was looking for from earlier experience and then I ended up asking about the Crate amps and no one would answer in the other thread so i was forced to start another for more indepth answers.
It's possible but he throws it afterwards and when he plugs it in again I cant see any effect being hooked up so I'm guessing its just the amp I might be wrong though.
Adequate representation of tone/distortion - you'll need to swap tubes though, the stock tubes are absolute crap. It's a pretty good amp though.
Last edited by guitar/bass76 at Jun 9, 2008,
That quote has nothing to do with the sound of the amp. That statement of "no video effects" is talking about how the amp keeps working and doesn't get smashed. Its gotta be either flange or its from the moving of the camera mic back and forth. At 7-8 sec. is where i hear it, and then later so maybe just the camera.
I guarantee you they have a SS preamp and 2 power tubes[except for the V33]. See if you can get your hands on a V32, discontinued I think. Well, in the states they're not for sale.
I got some good guitars, yo.
^Err, wtf? V amps are all tube, all of them.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
They are all tube, since there is a debate. I tried the V18 and the V33. I was surprised by how good the cleans sounded. I didn't try to get br00tlz out of it so I can't address that capability. I thought it did classic rock pretty well. AC/DC type of classic hard rock. For the money, they are probably the best amps available new. (Try to find a new blues jr for $329)
Quote by Leat
I guarantee you they have a SS preamp and 2 power tubes[except for the V33]. See if you can get your hands on a V32, discontinued I think. Well, in the states they're not for sale.

uuumm... no. im guessing you tried to look through the grilles and didnt see anything?

i own a v18 112 and they have tube preamps (12ax7's to be exact).

the preamp tubes are actually enclosed in a metal outer covering. you cant see them just by looking through the grilles. you need to open up the chassis to see them.

EDIT: here's a shot (the 3 metal covered tubes are the preamps. the 2 slots are for the power tubes). credit goes to whomever i took this from.
Jong

Strat, V847a, OCDv3, Carbon Copy, DD-5, Flying Dragon, EL84 amp
Last edited by glaz31 at Jun 9, 2008,
This seems to be quite a debate as ive spoken to many who support that this series has an all tube pre amp and a few who say it doesnt. I've googled the hell out of this and ive found that even on the Crate official website its called an all tube amp but even they make no mention of the pre amps many seem to be sure they have. I personally have found no solid evidence of it having any pre amp tubes considering even the official site states it only has 2 power tubes in it. I think some may be thinking of the old V and Palomino series which were both listed in having pre amp tubes by the site and all retailers. It seems to me with the exception of 1 top of the line V3112 or something. Until I find some hard evidence I really think this amp is just a hybrid in an all tube disguise. Yes I know a real tube amps sound comes mostly from the overdriven power section mostly but still. Any one else have any thoughts? I may have missed something this is just what I have found thus far.

EDIT: IVe been proven wrong theres the evidence thank you LOL
Last edited by psychodelicXXX at Jun 9, 2008,
Quote by Leat

Yeah wth are you talking about?
Quote by psychodelicXXX
This seems to be quite a debate as ive spoken to many who support that this series has an all tube pre amp and a few who say it doesnt. I've googled the hell out of this and ive found that even on the Crate official website its called an all tube amp but even they make no mention of the pre amps many seem to be sure they have. I personally have found no solid evidence of it having any pre amp tubes considering even the official site states it only has 2 power tubes in it. I think some may be thinking of the old V and Palomino series which were both listed in having pre amp tubes by the site and all retailers. It seems to me with the exception of 1 top of the line V3112 or something. Until I find some hard evidence I really think this amp is just a hybrid in an all tube disguise. Yes I know a real tube amps sound comes mostly from the overdriven power section mostly but still. Any one else have any thoughts? I may have missed something this is just what I have found thus far.

EDIT: IVe been proven wrong theres the evidence thank you LOL

If you have not seen it already I answered this question in one of your other threads. Marketing is always confusing. Sometime you just have to go get the owner manual. It's right there on page 11 of the owners manual. I simply looked it up on crateamps.com

later