Page 1 of 2
Yeah, I know, I'm a wuss.

I did a performance today infront of a big crowd of 100 or so people (this is big for a church crowd) and all I can remember doing was that when I walked up onto the stage and picked up my bass, I just froze in fear. It took me a good 30s to snap out of it,

Anyone help me? I've never done that before...
Go onstage one night in your underwear.

Nothing will be worse than that experience, so your stage fright will be cured (provided you are dressed).
Quote by synpet713192
Go onstage one night in your underwear.

Nothing will be worse than that experience, so your stage fright will be cured (provided you are dressed).

i get nervous too and most of the time i just try to ignore the audience... but dam is it hard ignoring them
I see no sign of fortress.
I would just put most of your attention to the music and what you have to do. If you cant ignore the audience just imagine its your friends out there.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I care. God cares.

Just remember, god isnt real, the crowd isnt real.
Quote by drunkinkoala
Yes, I would masturbate a horse.

Quote by MH400
hahahahaha

You win the internet.

Epically.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
Got a chuckle out of me.
Quote by Retro Rocker
I thought God was against same sex relationships?

Whats my sexuality got to do with stagefright?
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Whats my sexuality got to do with stagefright?

Because stagefright is GAY

harharhar

/kickmeforsayingthat
My first gig I was really nervous like shaking and stuff but I had a wank and honestly it was dead relaxing.
Quote by Sabu
My first gig I was really nervous like shaking and stuff but I had a wank and honestly it was dead relaxing.

This is probably my umpteenth performance......why now?
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

I couldn't resist.

But seriously, why should you get afraid when you're doing what you love in front of people who want to see you do that. Don't worry about it.

EDIT: And think of it this way: You probably looked more stupid standing there gawking for 30 seconds than during the entire time you were playing.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Whats my sexualisy
got to do with stagefright?

It's about you being hypocritical.
You can't claim God cares about bass playing as a serious reponse to then turn a blind eye to something as big as same-sex relationships*.

* Big in the general Christian view of thing. I personally don't care who fancies who, but I just though I'd mention it.
I play in my church and I used to mess up a lot. My guitar teacher told me this, God calls us to be great guitarists, not perfect guitarists.

Just look like you are enjoying what you are doing, rehearse the song well, and get used playing in front of others by playing for friends and family.
I'll be your number one with a bullet.
Quote by SilenceIsGolden
picture everyone naked.

I do that anyway.

What if your parents are there? Or grandparents?
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
This is probably my umpteenth performance......why now?

Dunno, I did it on my first gig and just kept doing it. I haven't had a gig in over a year though.
What i do:

stare at whatever is behind the crowd.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
Quote by Retro Rocker
It's about you being hypocritical.
You can't claim God cares about bass playing as a serious reponse to then turn a blind eye to something as big as same-sex relationships*.

* Big in the general Christian view of thing. I personally don't care who fancies who, but I just though I'd mention it.

I won't be the only bisexual/gay person in my church. I won't be the last either.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I won't be the only bisexual/gay person in my church. I won't be the last either.

K.
I wasn't having a go at you, or going anywhere with the point, I just thought the God comment was a bit strange.

Anyhoo, doesn't the stage fright/anxiety go away for you after the first song or so?
Quote by Retro Rocker
K.
I wasn't having a go at you, or going anywhere with the point, I just thought the God comment was a bit strange.

Anyhoo, doesn't the stage fright/anxiety go away for you after the first song or so?

Nah, I know you're not!

It depends with the songs. If they're really familliar or I get really into them then it goes away. If they're more 'formal' songs then I really get stressed.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Nah, I know you're not!

It depends with the songs. If they're really familliar or I get really into them then it goes away. If they're more 'formal' songs then I really get stressed.

Then just try to really get into each song and play.

It might sound silly and cliche, but try to forget about your surroundings and just dig the music.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Quote by slidething31
Then just try to really get into each song and play.

It might sound silly and cliche, but try to forget about your surroundings and just dig the music.

Already done this and it just made it worse..........at the moment we're in temporary church buildings and so all the set-up and operation is different.
yeah, i get scared too. Its just that i don't want to screw up, even though that causes me to screw up more. i just want to play perfectly.
Quote by Lil Macker
I voted 9, cause I would only let my mum give me a handjob...

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Un-Banned! Boy, does it feel great to be back.
Join the Bear Grylls Foundation group!
I played with a church band a few times. I wasn't stressed at all because I was playing hand percussion at the time and I knew the sound guy was probably going to throw me out of the mix anyways

If I was playing guitar or bass though it probably would've been a little bit different. I do feel your pain, brother. I freeze up when I'm playing in front of strangers sometimes. It seems like its one of those things that comes and goes.
Quote by SathiaSun
yeah, i get scared too. Its just that i don't want to screw up, even though that causes me to screw up more. i just want to play perfectly.

+1!
Quote by Free Time
I played with a church band a few times. I wasn't stressed at all because I was playing hand percussion at the time and I knew the sound guy was probably going to throw me out of the mix anyways

If I was playing guitar or bass though it probably would've been a little bit different. I do feel your pain, brother. I freeze up when I'm playing in front of strangers sometimes. It seems like its one of those things that comes and goes.

Sister.
Quote by Free Time

It seems stupid considering I've performed to bigger crowds...
Hmmm, interesting I've done the absolute opposite. I'm no longer nervous about anything. I and the blues band I'm in played a track in front of over like 2000 people and I wasn't even nervous coming onto the stage.
Quote by deluxity
as the theater teacher at my school says: "set the 4th wall between the audience and you"

+10000000000000000000 and an e-cookie!
I san the national anthem in front of my entire senior class, (most of them hated me and laughed at me whenever I sang in the hallway) 1500+ people and everyone still screamed for me. Just concentrate if its what you really love, not questioning you, but there's people that are out there who pick up an instrument because they can, but because its their passion, so focus on your instrument and let the crowd know who kicks ass on the bass, by any means necesary.
Quote by Eric 666
I san the national anthem in front of my entire senior class, (most of them hated me and laughed at me whenever I sang in the hallway) 1500+ people and everyone still screamed for me. Just concentrate if its what you really love, not questioning you, but there's people that are out there who pick up an instrument because they can, but because its their passion, so focus on your instrument and let the crowd know who kicks ass on the bass, by any means necesary.

i love you...
Page 1 of 2