Ok Ive read a number of the stickies...but Im pretty sure a question like this is highly subjective based on the equipment of the individual. Im running a stock 08 HSS stratocaster through a microcube and an rp250, but it feels like maybe the tone is lacking. Im curious what would be a bigger improvement for the money, a new amp or new pickups...or both? If having both would make an AMAZING difference or something then yeah il do both, but first im doing some recon work. So what are some options...favorite amp choices, favorite pickups, etc. I play a pretty wide variety of music, but I love playing classic rock and metal the most. I appreciate the help.
Pickups make very little noticeable difference through an amp like yours, definitely upgrade your amp to something better
ohai little sig.
amp...im stuck with a micro cube and a completely different guitar (SG) and i have the same problem. go tube...

EDIT: my personal desicion was the peavey valveking 112 to replace the micro cube. ill just have to survive till christmas
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by Demonikk
Pickups make very little noticeable difference through an amp like yours, definitely upgrade your amp to something better

ok what would you suggest for the most bang for your buck? How about between say 400-700? Also if I DID have a good amp, how much difference would pickups make?
get a different amp. i would suggest looking at something smaller than a valveking mine is way overkill for practice and small gigs.

EDIT: what style of music do you play?
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
Blackheart little giant head
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
^nothing is overkill. seriously, 50w is kinda big if u just need it for practice, in which case, get the valveking royal 8. 5w, $200, all tube.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Stay away from a halfstack. Last night my Peavey 6505+ was on volume 2 and it was a decent size gig
For versatility, Laney VC30
ohai little sig.
Quote by shredzilla
get a different amp. i would suggest looking at something smaller than a valveking mine is way overkill for practice and small gigs.

EDIT: what style of music do you play?

classic rock, metal. So something that can sound really heavy, but also crisp. I was wondering about new pickups because the humbucker in my strat gives it a really thick sound, but sometimes I cant accentuate notes very well when Im playing heavy.
AngusJimiKeith-dude i never have my amp past 5 when i jam with a drummer. 50w all tube is overkill unless your playing stadiums then i may not be enough.
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
Quote by Demonikk
Stay away from a halfstack. Last night my Peavey 6505+ was on volume 2 and it was a decent size gig
For versatility, Laney VC30

well I dont even play gigs or anything right now lol, just me and my guitar. But Im a purist when it comes to sound, and am not afraid to dish out money if itll make it even better.
i once made the silly mistake of what ill call an impulse buy, a peavey 5150 120watt all tube 212 combo. lets just say that thing isnt quite a practice amp..
Guitar:
Ibanez S-Series 7 String
Pedals/other:
Morley Power Wah Volume
Gemini Dual Channel EQ
Boss TU-2
Amp:
Peavey 5150 120 watt combo (considering sale)
Quote by shredzilla
AngusJimiKeith-dude i never have my amp past 5 when i jam with a drummer. 50w all tube is overkill unless your playing stadiums then i may not be enough.

also though I regulate volume and all that through my rp250, so I dont think any knobs on an amp will really do me any good will they?
Quote by shredzilla

do u jam with the guy with a rectifier, the other guy with an 100w ampeg bass amp, and a drummer at the same time though?
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
AngusJimiKeith- your missing what i was getting at. the kid is looking to upgrade from a practice amp. he's not even gigging yet and 50w is a little overkill for his situation. if i was gigging with some one who had a rect, and another that had a 100w bass amp im sure they wouldn't be playing a full blast and 50w would be able to keep up.

well i would say just go try out a bunch of amps in your price range and narrow it down to a few that you like and do a little research on those amps. look if any have reliability issues and then chose the best one from there.
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
Last edited by shredzilla at Jun 8, 2008,
i did.... it came down to the VK, the peavey windsor combo, and the marshall JCM2000. needless to say, the JCM was (unfortunately) eliminated right away, then i tried out the peaveys, and the VK blew the windsor away
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
i did.... it came down to the VK, the peavey windsor combo, and the marshall JCM2000. needless to say, the JCM was (unfortunately) eliminated right away, then i tried out the peaveys, and the VK blew the windsor away

That comment was an idea for the ts. maybe his taste is different not everyone likes the valveking.
Quote by Arthurian
also though I regulate volume and all that through my rp250, so I dont think any knobs on an amp will really do me any good will they?

If you buy a tube amp i wouldn't use that pedal with it. i have an rp80 and it sound absolutely horrible through my tube amps.
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
Last edited by shredzilla at Jun 8, 2008,
true, and mine is an example that said strategy works

EDIT: also, good point about not wanting to upgrade too much, u normally dont wanna kill everyone within 20 feet of ur amp....i just had to dractically upgrade due to my situation....
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Last edited by AngusJimiKeith at Jun 8, 2008,
So how am I supposed to test all these out though? And wouldnt it be different running it through just the amp to test them out then when im actually at home and running it through the rp250? Also does anyone know the best music store in Austin? Yes I know stupid question, but Ive only lived here like a month and I havent found the best music place yet.
Quote by shredzilla
That comment was an idea for the ts. maybe his taste is different not everyone likes the valveking.

If you buy a tube amp i wouldn't use that pedal with it. i have an rp80 and it sound absolutely horrible through my tube amps.

Well I like all the versatility that I can get out of the pedal, its just a simple button press and bam I have another preset to play.
bring ur guitar to the store, thats what i did. the best store is usually one of those tiny ma and pa stores, but if u cant find one, or urs doesnt have a great selection, go to sam ash or guitar center. yet another foolproof strategy
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
if you have a guitar center which i would guess you do they should have a lot of the amps mentioned. bring your pedal along and try it both ways. i think you will find that the pedal kills the amps tone though that's what i found anyway.
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
bring ur guitar to the store, thats what i did. the best store is usually one of those tiny ma and pa stores, but if u cant find one, or urs doesnt have a great selection, go to sam ash or guitar center. yet another foolproof strategy

Well I live in one of the music capitals of the US...but then again that means with an abundance of music stores, you increase the chances of finding some really ****ty ones that may not know what their doing.
Quote by shredzilla
if you have a guitar center which i would guess you do they should have a lot of the amps mentioned. bring your pedal along and try it both ways. i think you will find that the pedal kills the amps tone though that's what i found anyway.

Err but would I still be able to get the same customizing abilities out of just an amp? Im not any good at the tweak this knob here and this knob here kind of thing. Thats why I like the presets ive created heh.
with tube, yes. tube blows solid state away. completely. thats somthing i think everyone can agree on.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
you'll get better at getting the sound you want once you know how your amp responds. tube amps are different in that they won't always sound the same and even the most trivial thing such as pick attack can change the tone drastically. from my experience i can get better sounds from tweaking the eq and using an od than i can get from my rp80.

if you do use the multieffects put it through the fx loop it the amp has it.
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
Hmm so question is what do I do with my rp250 lol, and also since were talking tubes now what would be a good choice? Something that can play clean extremely well, but also sounds great when you play heavy. Also if I got a good tube amp, would it be worth it to try investing in pickups?
not until u know how ur guitar will sound through the amp u get. if u like the sound but its still not perfect, then get pups

as for tubes, nowadays, theres not much choice except the 12AX7/ECC83 for preamp and the EL34/6L6 for power amp
usually, u will see 12AX7/6L6 or ECC83/EL34, but 12AX7 and ECC83 are basically the same tube, except named differently, and the preamp tube determines the sound (mostly)

EDIT:hope that all makes sense
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
not until u know how ur guitar will sound through the amp u get. if u like the sound but its still not perfect, then get pups

as for tubes, nowadays, theres not much choice except the 12AX7/ECC83 for preamp and the EL34/6L6 for power amp
usually, u will see 12AX7/6L6 or ECC83/EL34, but 12AX7 and ECC83 are basically the same tube, except named differently, and the preamp tube determines the sound (mostly)

EDIT:hope that all makes sense

preamp wut lol. I see what your saying basically, just a little too much amp jargon. I might just write down those models and have a look when I go. Also if I was going to get pickups, is it best just to change them all at once? Or just buy like one for the neck and leave the others? If I did get some, Id probably get pearly gates, I know a lot of people with them and I do like the sound a lot. Also how many watts is too much for just playing in my apartment? I dont want to get suckered into buying a ton more watts than I need if I go to a guitar store.
An apartment? I wouldn't go over 15-20 watts....

and yes, replace pups all at once

ok, about the amp, tube amps are divided into one section that basically determines the tone (preamp) and one the amplifies the signal (power amp). The point I was trying to get across is that theres not too many choices for tubes out there today....
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Err so Im thinking preamp then? Also you can mix up pickups right? Like 2 of one kind in the bridge and a different one in the neck? What kind of mixing could I do to get a really good metal sound, but another setting to have a crisp classic rock sound? Maybe heavy ones in the bridge, and a clean one in the neck? What about the middle pickup? Lol sorry I just dont know much when it comes to modding guitars.
well, a functional amp contains both. sorry to confuse u. guess i got a little to technical.

yes, you can mix pickups. i think a good combo for you would be a Duncan JB (sh-4) in the bridge, pearly gates in the neck, and leave the middle, i guess
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
So I would get 2 duncan JBs in the bridge? I have a humbucker in the back remember.
^ the jb is a humbucker so no you would not need two of them.

if your looking for heavier tones from an amp i would say your going to want an amp with el34 or 6l6 power tubes. el84 are still popular today in class a amplifiers but i don't think they would get the sound your after. preamp tubes are also directly correlated to gain that's why high gain amps have so many preamp tubes.
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
What about the sh-8 invader? Im just snooping around seeing what looks good.
Do they not make single pearly gates pickups? All Im seeing is a humbucker one.
i don't believe they make a single pearly gate. definitely check out dimarzio pups as well they make some great pups.
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
dimarzio blue velvets are the greatest single coils i have ever used. hands down. dimarzio also makes great PAF replicas. whatever way u go, duncan or dimarzio, is an excellent choice
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
I am in the same Dilema , I have a squier strat HSS and a Peavey Rage 158
I got a friends old Duncan JB, Put it into the Bridge and it definetly made a difference, but not as much as A new amp would

If you primarily use the Bridge Humbucker then dont bother changing the single coils or just change the pickguard for HH or single H