i've been having a few troubles lately. i have decided to start write some song. my bassist is providing lyrics but all i can do over top of the lyrics is play a few boring
chords. i have no trouble coming up with chord progressions using various types of chords but i find it very bland just to strum three chords for a whole song. How do you guys come about expanding off a basic chord progression and turning it into a song?
Find some other stuff to do in the same key.
GEAR:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Schecter Gryphon w/ Tone Zone & PAF Pro
Peavey Valveking 112 w/Eminence Texas Heat
Line 6 Space Chorus
Marshall Echohead
Morley Power Wah Volume
BOSS MT-2
Vox Satchurator
Quote by Ssargentslayer
How do you guys come about expanding off a basic chord progression and turning it into a song?

Riffs, my dear lad, riffs. Take your basic progression and turn it into a riff.
thats pretty obvious. i know basic theory and keys and scales i just want to know if anyone uses certain techniques or ideas instead of strumming chords.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Write a new chord progression in the same key. Why would you force yourself to play the same three chords?

no i meant playing something like C F G through a whole song.
Quote by Ssargentslayer
If you find that boring, why are you forcing yourself to do it anyway?

Play C F G for the chorus and something like C G Am F or C G Am F C G F Fm for the verse.
Quote by Ssargentslayer

Isn't that playing the same three chords? I don't think I understand you.
Quote by :-D
Isn't that playing the same three chords? I don't think I understand you.

oh sorry your right i thought he meant playing C C C
I'm not much of a rhythm player but different strumming patterns are always good. If you're just playing power chords or cowboy chords mix it up. Play some inversions, 7ths, 9ths, etc. Don't be afraid to change keys either. Maybe try some jazzy type progressions. Try some country ballad type progressions too.

If all else fails just learn some new songs and steal their progressions
Quote by bangoodcharlote
If you find that boring, why are you forcing yourself to do it anyway?

Play C F G for the chorus and something like C G Am F or C G Am F C G F Fm for the verse.

But what would i do if wanted didn't want to play chords but you could till tell when each chord is changing.
Quote by Ssargentslayer
But what would i do if wanted didn't want to play chords but you could till tell when each chord is changing.
You could arpegiate the chords.