Hey all,

I'm looking for some help here, I want to get the right settings on my amp so that they sound as close to the classic Guns N' Roses Appetite era as possible. I have a Les Paul guitar and a marshall 50 dfx amp if thats any help.

Thanks very much,

Baz
I really don't think you can get a sound all the close with the amp you are using. Even still, I would say treble and bass at about 1 o'clock and mids at about 3 o'clock.
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
with that amp? No way. But Ultimate settings thread
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
new amp man.

look at Traynor YCv50 Ceriatone JCM800 and used Marshall JCM800 combo
all those for under 600 or just a bit over
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
marshall Super Tremolo hot rodded for appetite's sound. gonna be hard to recreate.

get something like a traynor, blackheart or JCM800 and crank it. you need tube saturation.

Bass-half, Mids-8, treble-6ish, Gain-7 or 8

this usually on a mid to high-ish gained british voiced amp. use ur bridge pup for rhythms and most leads. Rhythm pup for leads on stuff like S.C.O.M. and Paradise City. Rocket Queen leads may have been on neck pup too.

most of his leads on AFD were more crunchy and tons of harmonics, raw-ness of the bridge pup.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
I've got a crate palomino v32 30 watt, and a les paul studio lite from the early 90s (at least I think it is, may just be a studio from early 90s), and i can get his tone almost spot on.

Settings are (in o' clock) gain 3, treble 3, mid 9, bass 9, and reverb 9

I get a sweet slash tone. I sometimes turn presence on too to get even more bite.

I love my gear
with that amp? No way. But Ultimate settings thread
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

wat
Ibanez S470DXQM
Ibanez IC-400 [Made in Korea, Aug. 2005]
Ibanez Studio ST55 [Made in Japan, Sept. 1980]
VOX AD50VT Amp
Morley Bad Horsey Wah
BOSS MD-2 Mega Distortion Pedal
Found this for a Traynor... but it also works on my Micro Spider with the "Metal" channel. Best with Sweet Child.

Gain: 6
Bass: 5.5
Mids: 5
Treble: 7
CV: 5
MV: Anywhere from 3-7.
My equipment:
Aria Pro II Cardinal Series CS-250
Crate CR-160
CONN (Accoustic)
Laguna LE 322 AVB
BOSS DS-1
Line 6 Micro Spider
Line 6 Uber Metal
BOSS VB-2
BOSS D-7
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Classic
BOSS CS-3
BOSS GE-7 (soon)
^that doesn't seem like it should sound to GNR like. GNR is not hi gain and they're more than mid gain. in between somewhere. also, i'm sure the 'metal' channel is more for darker american metal.

oh and mids lower than treble? unless the spider is a naturally middley amp (very doubtful) i don't think that's a good suggestion.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
to all the people who keep repeating the same thing, i hope you know this isnt 4chan, and i hope you get warnings for spam. *Reported*
and to the ts, try lots of mids and turn the tone down on your guitar. you wont need as much gain as you would think too.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Last edited by chea_man at Jun 17, 2008,
Quote by chea_man
to all the people who keep repeating the same thing, i hope you know this isnt 4chan, and i hope you get warnings for spam. *Reported*
and to the ts, try lots of mids and turn the tone down about on your guitar. you wont need as much gain as you would think too.

Lol, someone is in a bad mood. Geez, who pissed in your cheerios?

And TS, gain is your friend with GnR
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
^^^ You kind of are reporting happy.. You reported my tattoo thread even thouh it was legit.

But all those repeating are annoying

Oh and if the thread is only a week old it isnt Necroing....
you only turn the tone knob down if you're playing leads and more so on the Use Your Illusion album songs. Appetite didn't have that many leads using the woman tone. and GNR's rhythms are very crunchy and plenty of pinch harmonics here and there, sounding a lot more accurate on the bridge pickup. it just has that cutting sound and aggression that you can't quite get on the rhythm pup.

but chea_mean that is still a really good suggestion.

WAIT A TIC...i already posted a thread concerning this topic, TS. please look it up, it's called 'noobs want Slash's sound...' , not calling you a noob but check it out. i made the thread for that reason
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
marshall Super Tremolo hot rodded for appetite's sound. gonna be hard to recreate.

get something like a traynor, blackheart or JCM800 and crank it. you need tube saturation.

Bass-half, Mids-8, treble-6ish, Gain-7 or 8

this usually on a mid to high-ish gained british voiced amp. use ur bridge pup for rhythms and most leads. Rhythm pup for leads on stuff like S.C.O.M. and Paradise City. Rocket Queen leads may have been on neck pup too.

most of his leads on AFD were more crunchy and tons of harmonics, raw-ness of the bridge pup.

I swear to god u made a thread about this exact topic less than a weeka go didnt u?
Quote by slash_rocks2005
you only turn the tone knob down if you're playing leads and more so on the Use Your Illusion album songs. Appetite didn't have that many leads using the woman tone. and GNR's rhythms are very crunchy and plenty of pinch harmonics here and there, sounding a lot more accurate on the bridge pickup. it just has that cutting sound and aggression that you can't quite get on the rhythm pup.

but chea_mean that is still a really good suggestion.

WAIT A TIC...i already posted a thread concerning this topic, TS. please look it up, it's called 'noobs want Slash's sound...' , not calling you a noob but check it out. i made the thread for that reason

are... you... really.. SLASH?
Quote by stangconv
are... you... really.. SLASH?

i was just thinking that haha
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
does anyone here read guitar world? or any magazine at all, this is very common knowledge lol
Quote by gnr_axeman74
does anyone here read guitar world? or any magazine at all, this is very common knowledge lol

I read Star wars comics, and Knitting monthly.

Knitting Monthly once did an article on slash but I sadly misplaced that issue.

Apparantly SLash uses a number 2 crochet hook. Slash_Rocks can you confirm?
Vintage 30's and Alnico pickups.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
gnr axeman, you're prolly referring to the slightly controversal 'noobs want Slash's sound...", some people there got really mad b/c of my irritance w/ the abundance of slash clones popping up lately. but that subject is finished with, we are all at understanding now.

and stangcov, nah i'm not slash. slash is close to old enough to be my father's age (RIP).

but like i've said many times before, GNR changed my life (i don't care how cliche' it sounds) with their first album. i have spent a lot of time reading up on slash and his techniques and most of all using my EARS. there's always someone out there who knows more than the next guy though, so if i seem like i know a TON, thank you much but i'm sure someone else would make me look like i know next to nothing in that department.

what can i say, their sound is MY definition of raw rock n roll.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by Van Noord
Vintage 30's and Alnico pickups.

Sweet!! I am there with my Traynor BLUE and my Agile with Alnico's

If I trade PUPS to SD 59 and a SD Distortion will I lose my Slash sound?
Quote by stangconv
I read Star wars comics, and Knitting monthly.

Knitting Monthly once did an article on slash but I sadly misplaced that issue.

Apparantly SLash uses a number 2 crochet hook. Slash_Rocks can you confirm?

OMFG UR SO FUNNNY!, it wasnt a question as much as a comment about how apparently no one here knows how the use the search function because they are too lazy, you could find atleast as much information in magazines or even crap like wikipeia or google than on here.
my expertise of slash sound/advice ends at knitting sorry.

could you imagine that guy wearing a sweater that he knitted himself or somethin? LMAO he wouldn't even be able to get it all the way on b/c of that damn fro...lol
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by stangconv
Sweet!! I am there with my Traynor BLUE and my Agile with Alnico's

If I trade PUPS to SD 59 and a SD Distortion will I lose my Slash sound?

not with the 59 its a moderate output hb with alnico2 magnets, possibly loose it with distortion due to ceramic magnet, not too sure how much of an impact though
about the SD 59' and Distortion pup question:

i have no idea. i assume the Duncan Distortion is a high output bucker, but if it's too hot then you might lose a lotta clarity with gain. i know the JB is a high output bucker but seems to retain all clarity in hi gain situations, but the Duncan Distortion comes off as something meant for even heavier tastes, a la metalllll.

and i've never played the 59'.

i've really not played a huge selection of pups. i got the sound i wanted with my first pup swap and have been happy ever since, not needing any other pup switch.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
i have an lp i use for slash-type sounds, i used 2 alnico pro 2's but i found them very boring, so i swapped them to a phat cat p90 in the bridge and 59 in neck, best combo ever i thought, pearly gates was close to phat cat though
Quote by gnr_axeman74
OMFG UR SO FUNNNY!, it wasnt a question as much as a comment about how apparently no one here knows how the use the search function because they are too lazy, you could find atleast as much information in magazines or even crap like wikipeia or google than on here.

I know what you meant.. Just trying to lighten the mood...

Yeah I bought the SD 59 and the SD Distortion used and I got a good price... I am kind of hesatant to put them in my Agile... But at least I can go back if need be.

I dont think they would go very good in my other guitars (Dean and Ravenwest)
what kind of dean? that would be a good match, not that theres anything wrong with the distortion, i just wouldnt use it for a guitar you want a slash-type sound out of, anything like a custom, custom5, jb or pearly gates would be a good match with 59, the 59 kicks ass though, great for leads and clean definatly put that in the agile
Dean ML trubute...

I dont think the Zebras will look that great in it. However as much as I love SLash's tone, I am not really much on copying anyways.. I just want to find something right to my ears.. :-D
Slash uses the rhythm pickup (with tone rolled back half) but still manages to get a crunch from it, when I try it it always becomes rather mellow and the gain (set about 6 1/2) is just lost so its rather hard
Though I do blame my amp for being more modern voiced than raw classic jcm800 style

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
He did for appetite and for the use your illusions

Velvet revolver use drop D nowadays (Contraband & Libertad)

EDIT
Settings for appetite could be..
Gain: 7
Bass: 6
Middle: 4.5 (dont ask why)
Treble: 10
Presence: 7

Should work with a bit of tweaking - try it with neck (rhythm) pickup with tone rolled back back

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Last edited by Chrisiphone at Jun 20, 2008,