From my understanding, If you're playing, in example, in the key of G, then you can play the G mixolydian mode and still be in the key of G (If I am correct). But the G mixolydian has an F instead of an F# so wouldn't that place the whole mode out of the key of G?

Example in easiest terms possible please

thanks
mixolydian is the 5th mode and the 5th of G major is C, so you play the notes of C major which has a F instead of an F#
No, you will have only played one note that's out of key but that doesn't mean it's wrong.

What sounds dissonant ("bad") more often depends on the chord/notes that you're playing over so if you're playing over a G5 then it'll sound fine but if you're playing over something like a Gmaj7 then it'll sound a bit off.

Ultimately the notes that you play in theory don't matter because music theory isn't really a set of rules: it's guidelines for what should sound ok and a set of rules for describing what you play after the fact.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
When you say "key of G", you are referring to G major, with an F#. Playing in a different mode, like Mixolydian, it is no longer G Major; it is G Mixolydian, with an F natural. It still has G as the root, it's just not a "G major".
No, you will have only played one note that's out of key but that doesn't mean it's wrong.

Correct. This was one of my misconceptions when I was first learning modes. I thought that a D Dorian scale (DEFGABC) was in C major and thus could only be used a substitute for C major. Dont think of it as being in C major, think of it as being in D minor. Same applies to the G mixolydian scale.