Hey, I was just wondering how everyone regards posture when sitting and playing the guitar. I read the posture article and play with the swell resting on my far leg, strumming arm resting on the top of the guitar, fretting palm not hugging guitar etc, but I notice after a while my neck starts to hurt from looking down at the fretboard. I'm sitting on a low couch, sitting straight I think so what's the problem? Anyone else got this problem?
i would rele listen to all those posture things like if u played classical ud need a foot stool and stuff unless ur playing classical play however your comfortable
Quote by notsojoeyb4eva
Prove to her you won't shoot any real prostitutes. Bring one back, and show your mum how curteous and polite you can be with them.
Quote by acdc_rocks_1992
i would rele listen to all those posture things like if u played classical ud need a foot stool and stuff unless ur playing classical play however your comfortable

Ahhh, Punctuation is the key, young padowan.
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
i find that when i play seated i slouch, so i prefer to let me guitar hang to the side instead of resting on my thigh to play. that way my back is straight
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ Last.fm █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █

"Never interrupt an enemy when he is making a mistake."
~Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote by Free Time
My posture sucks but I'm not worried about it.

You should be. Poor posture will create unnecessary tension in the body, which can end u doing damage to you over a long period of time.
I've tried playing standing up with the strap over my shoulder but it just doesnt feel right yet. Right now for some reason I like to raise my leg onto something. Also, the strap slips off really easily. Am I supposed to put it around my neck as well? I'd figure that'd cause more pain than you're trying to prevent.
Quote by Sy_B
I've tried playing standing up with the strap over my shoulder but it just doesnt feel right yet. Right now for some reason I like to raise my leg onto something. Also, the strap slips off really easily. Am I supposed to put it around my neck as well? I'd figure that'd cause more pain than you're trying to prevent.

Nope, over the shoulder is the way to go. You'll get used to it after a while, but try raising the guitar a bit; it'll give you more control over what you're doing and should be especially helpful if you're not used to playing standing up.
Yeah I just tried that now, I realize something else, standing up and tilting the guitar REALLY seems to hinder my strumming....like.....uhh...upstrumming isn't fluid and I have to learn it again. I didn't realize different playing positions mean practicing the motions of other ones...

How the hell did Hendrix ever play with his teeth....
LOL, If I ever play on stage, I'm going to have to be reclined in my computer chair with my guitar lying strapless over my stomach.

I gotta get me a stool or start standing.