I've been playing for about a year and a half or two years now, and I feel like I've hit a rut. I can play about any chord you ask me to, know all my basic theory, and am pretty decent on rhythm. But when it comes to lead and riffs, I'm stuck. I can play all my scales fast, even though I know speed shouldn't be the main concern when practicing, and I know a few Muse riffs and stuff like that that I can play well. I can play the opening to Black Dog well too, if that helps you gauge my progress at all. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what to play and practice? I'm not that into classic Rock, or any crazy shredding or anything like that.
play a one four diminished patern up and down the neck they sound dark hahah
Quote by notsojoeyb4eva
Prove to her you won't shoot any real prostitutes. Bring one back, and show your mum how curteous and polite you can be with them.
Quote by blackesteyes91
I'm not that into classic Rock, or any crazy shredding or anything like that.

Then you shouldn't worry about it. If the music you like/music you like to play, doesn't exactly makeup of crazy legato and arpeggios below the 15th fret, then don't worry about it. Play music you like to play, and then when you feel like you're in a rut, play OTHER music you like to play. That usually works for me.
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
find some new music that maybe you haven't heard before, and learn some new licks. Listen to some blues, learn a metal riff, and try to apply them to your music. Also, try to figure out your goals as a guitar player. If you know what you want to accomplish, then you can take the proper steps to get there. Learn more in depth theory, new scales, chord progressions, etc. There is an endless number of thing for you to accomplish with your guitar!