Hey I'm new to electric and guitars in general and plan on getting set up this month with equipment and beginning lessons. Right now I'm trying to profile the proper guitar based on the sounds and styles I love. I listen to a lot of cure (porl thompsons style in particular), marr's Smiths material and some rickey lime Scarling. type of stuff. I'm really into the wailing tones and such. Is there a guitar under $1k (preferably under 800) that I could get a nice sound out of that's not super advanced and wouldn't retard my learning rate?

Thanks
do you have an amp?
My Gear:
Jay Turser Warlock
Baraccuda Strat
Takamine EG523SC
Samick Acoustic
Vox AD50VT
Boss DS-1
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Get a Standard Fender Telecaster and a Blackheart Little Giant and tada! You have an affordable, awesome sounding rig.
Member of the vegetarian club

Arbor AF-100
Cheap Kona

Boss PH-2
Ibanez DC10
NYC Big Muff
Little Alligator
Peavey Rockmaster
TC G-Major
FCB1010
BBE 401 Maxie
Boss RC-20

70's Fender PA 100
go to your local guitar store and play some guitar and find the that rings true to you. not what someone else WANT'S to TELL you is the best.
you should just get the squier pack if you haven't played guitar before
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
I go into Guitar Center quite a bit and strum around with guitars. There's only so much to do there though if you don't know how to play. Obviously playing every guitar they have would take forever so I'm just trying to narrow it down a bit. I also kinda want to put money into it now instead of selling what I don't want anymore later down the road. I don't usually do something unless I'm serious about it, so I'll take my chances with that.

I'm surprised there aren't more websites out there that profile guitars based on the type of sound certain well known bands and other artists have. I've heard the 335 is really more of a country / rockabilly guitar. Although I love rockabilly style, how centered is that statement? I guess what I'm trying to say is, playing them isn't really going to help me if I don't know how to get a certain wail out of the guitar. And how will I know what it can do without knowing how to tease it? =)

Anyone heard good things about the Schecter porl thompson guitar? I went to the cure concert down here in dallas on Friday and it sounded much more metally than his original beautiful 80's wail
Quote by Ghold125
look at a Fender mim stratocaster and a Roland Micro Cube.

+1

Exact rig I started out with.
Have any friends that play guitar? Go with them to either your local music store or a guitar center and play around with some stuff. Don't be afraid to ask 'stupid' questions. And DO NOT be embarrassed to play what little you know how, and ask your friend to play around on it a little too. Make sure to try more than one guitar and play them through different amps so you know that you're liking the guitar instead of just the amp. Your friend should be happy at the chance to introduce a friend into the world of guitars and even happier to get an excuse to play a bunch of different guitars.

Also, if you're buying all the stuff you need to start, see if the store will give you the stuff for a 'bundle' price. You don't have to blatantly ask them to lower the price, just ask if they have any 'starter bundles'. But don't take a guitar/amp you don't want just to get $50 off or something.

And one last thing. Maybe if you're completely new to guitar you may want to think about spending a little less money on a quality, but generic starter guitar. I know when I first got into guitar I thought I knew exactly what kind of music I would be playing, so I tried to get a guitar/amp to match that. Guess what, a month of playing and my musical interests are completely different and now I'm saving to upgrade to a guitar/amp that fits my style better. Just think carefully if you're going to spend a lot of money.
Where can I find information on the types of guitars certain artists use?

And I wouldn't even know what amp to start out with.
I say start out with a hollowbody of somekind... like an ibanez artcore. as for amp, get a small tube combo like the new blackhearts or a palamino
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Dont get a tube amp. You may get annoying by the warm up latency. For practice solid state is better. The tube amp wont sound to great at a low volume.

As for a guitar, I say get a Laguna LE422. You can get it at guitar center for $400. And get a roland cube for an amp. Or if you dont mind to play using headphones get a Boss MicroBR600. This way you will be able to record and learn much more.

The BR600 will really help you learn as it will allow you to record and layer tracks on top of tracks becoming a 1 man band.
Last edited by nyandres at Jun 9, 2008,
Quote by surewhynot
I go into Guitar Center quite a bit and strum around with guitars. There's only so much to do there though if you don't know how to play. Obviously playing every guitar they have would take forever so I'm just trying to narrow it down a bit. I also kinda want to put money into it now instead of selling what I don't want anymore later down the road. I don't usually do something unless I'm serious about it, so I'll take my chances with that.

I'm surprised there aren't more websites out there that profile guitars based on the type of sound certain well known bands and other artists have. I've heard the 335 is really more of a country / rockabilly guitar. Although I love rockabilly style, how centered is that statement? I guess what I'm trying to say is, playing them isn't really going to help me if I don't know how to get a certain wail out of the guitar. And how will I know what it can do without knowing how to tease it? =)

Anyone heard good things about the Schecter porl thompson guitar? I went to the cure concert down here in dallas on Friday and it sounded much more metally than his original beautiful 80's wail

I know what you mean. It's definitely hard to find a guitar you like when you don't know how to play. I wouldn't suggest getting a signature guitar as your first electric guitar. Look into Epiphone and Fender. Personally, I would suggest an Epi Les Paul or a Fender Strat. Fender also has a cheaper line of guitars by the name of "Squier". I have one, and they are pretty good, but they come with cheaper equipment, so you might have to change out the pick-ups and tuners once you get better at guitar. I would suggest you get a true Fender if you have the money, though. They're not but around $300. For a starter amp, I would have to agree on the Blackheart mentioned earlier. If not that, the Epiphone Valve Junior or the Fender Champion. They are all great tube amps, and affordable. Now it's just up to you. Good luck!
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
What's the difference, audio wise, between a hollow/semi hollow and a solid body?

..And maybe it's just me, but when I play around, my fingers seem too big to be really precise. I guess that just comes with inexperience, though, and is later improved. What guitars might have larger spacing (not too large) and be easier to work with in that aspect?

.... and what's a "fat strat" ??
Last edited by surewhynot at Jun 9, 2008,
Quote by nyandres
Dont get a tube amp. You may get annoying by the warm up latency. For practice solid state is better. The tube amp wont sound to great at a low volume.

As for a guitar, I say get a Laguna LE422. You can get it at guitar center for $400. And get a roland cube for an amp. Or if you dont mind to play using headphones get a Boss MicroBR600. This way you will be able to record and learn much more.

The BR600 will really help you learn as it will allow you to record and layer tracks on top of tracks becoming a 1 man band.

Does anyone SERIOUSLY get annoyed by the "warm up latency" on a tube amp? How much of a hurry are you in to play?!
I've always heard a lot of buzz for fender jaguars and fender twin reverbs... ??
Quote by surewhynot
What's the difference, audio wise, between a hollow/semi hollow and a solid body?

..And maybe it's just me, but when I play around, my fingers seem too big to be really precise. I guess that just comes with inexperience, though, and is later improved. What guitars might have larger spacing (not too large) and be easier to work with in that aspect?

.... and what's a "fat strat" ??

Don't worry about it, chances are you're wrapping your thumb around the neck so your fingers are flat. After you practice for a while, you should bring your thumb around to the back of the neck so your fingers are more vertical to the fretboard, and you are only playing with your fingertips.

If anyone has anything else to add or correct this, go ahead, I don't always know what I'm talking about.
Been looking at a Highway One strat... Anyone have any experience with these? Supposedly less coating on it and different pickups and whatnot. I don't really care about hardshell case though.
You can't go wrong with a Strat or Tele man especially MIM made ones, affordable and classy, and a VOX type of amp would work well for you.

**EDIT**- Highway One Fenders are good guitars, but seeing as your starting out I think personally it would be best you got a MIM Strat or Tele, but its your call.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
Last edited by Tomo J O at Jun 9, 2008,
I looooooooove the look of that Porl Corsair bigsby. Just don't know how it would work as a starter guitar. When Porl used that last Friday in Dallas the old 80's tracks sounded much more metally :\ Maybe this is just the way he wanted to play it:?
ZOMGZZZ GET AN IBANEZZ!!!! STEVE VAI AND VANHALEN PLAY IT!! MY ICEMAN IS UBER 1337!!! ITS GODS GUITAR!

but really, I would suggest something with a relatively good wood, and customizable. you never know when you wanna change your style around.
Check out Micheal Kelly guitars. They look like you get a lot more guitar than you pay for and that will leave you with more money for an amp, cables etc.