I have an electric guitar and play with it almost every day, except I just look up tabs. I am a beginner and feel that looking up tabs won't help me very much. I have the problem of hitting wrong notes in a riff (off by one fret). Can someone give me advice or practice routines to help me become more acquainted with the fretboard?
How many chords do you know?

edit: You're offline right now and won't be able to answer. I wanted to get a feel for where you are.

Anyways, the point i'm trying to get to is that if you practice learning chords (like basic open chords: g, c, d, a, e, and their basic variations (dom7, minor, major 7). Once you get ahold of getting the right fingerings for the chords and can transition from chord to chord whilst getting the right notes, it will help your muscle memory/subconcscious knowledge of fingers over the fretboard.

The other thing to do is PRACTICE.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Jun 8, 2008,
But thats the thing. What practice should I do? I practice chords occasionally but not very long.
Quote by Tiki Rock
But thats the thing. What practice should I do?
What is it that you want to know?

If you want theory, read the link in my sig.

If you want a roadmap to the fretboard, please search the archives for a lesson on fretboard memorization by Casualty01 (Cas).
I'd start by practicing learning the chords in open position and being able to transition between them easily. I learned the notes by learning to read sheet music 1 string at a time so i don't know how to help you with individual notes really. I guess after you can switch between chords easily (your fingers know where to go) you could try learning songs. I'd think just using tab to learn songs would help get you acqainted with the fretboard.

edit: also try this exercise Joe Satriani mentioned if you want:

get a metronome.
set it to a slow speed.
pick a fret/string (note) on guitar and say what note it is before the beep of the metronome.
keep switching notes before every beep.
make sure the tempo of the metronome isn't too fast or too slow for you.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Jun 8, 2008,
I keep hearing about roadmaps of the fretboard. What are they? Is it an easy was to memorize the fretboard?
Hey Tiki Rock,

I sense that you want to grow more musically, and reach to the level that you desire, I think this is a good start.

The next step, in my opinion, in learning any lesson about the art of guitar is to first understand that all of the great artists, who had lived a life of musical wealth, were also in the same, or at least similar, situation that you were in; after all they, like you and me, are mere humans. I like this quote, it might be good if you copy this and think about it:

"Compared with what we ought to be, we are only half awake. We are making use of only a small part of our physical and mental resources. Stating the thing broadly, the human individual thus lives far within his limits. He possesses powers of various sorts which he habitually fails to use." - William James

Ok, on to the practice routines and fretboard memorization. I'm a firm believer that every musician is unique, and has a set of things that are good specifically for them, only. What works for me, might not work for you. This is where your teacher must be helping you out with. A good and experienced teacher will be worth more than the money that you will be paying him. He can answer your questions more specifically.

So, it might be good to keep that in mind--get a good and experienced teacher.

What should you practice?

This good teacher will be able to guide you on the things which you will need for your musical expression that you seek to obtain.

There were good advices mentioned by the guys from above, I think it might be in your best interest to read them again thoroughly.

I hope this helps you in your musical journey.

Take care,
Jose Daniel
Positive and negative emotions cannot occupy the mind at the same time. One or the other must dominate. It is your responsibility to make sure that positive emotions constitute the dominating influence of your mind. - Napoleon Hill
Try learning a riff (for instance) that dwells from very low pitched notes to high pitched notes (like 2 octaves difference, etc).
Then learn which note corresponds which fret in the guitar (at leas theorically, or the method).
Then try playing that riff, or scale in different positions on the fretboard. But you should try to figure them out, because if not it would take longer to remember them (it is easier to remember the method and apply it than remember all the notes, if you use tabs for instance)...

Then practice your left hand, practice a lot till you can at least play clean and the right notes when you want...
your problem from what i can see is accuracy, and that isn't built from shredding 16th notes at 150 bpm. start slow and continue to build up speed, a metronome is good.

if you want theory listen to BGC, i don't think i have ever seen her say something incorrect.

also you said that you just read tabs, first off try learning to read music, it can only benefit you in the long run. also try writing your own stuff, be they blues ballads, rock anthems or awesome shred instrumentals, try to incorperate stuff you want to learn into them though. for example you wanna perfect your phrygian scale? write a phrygian progression and solo over it with the phrygian scale.

hope that helps.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Practice slow, very slow, don't be in a rush to play a song on its original speed, after all, it would be easy after you get used to playing it.
I also would like to start learning music theory while I'm a beginner. Can anyone give any advice?
do you have a more specific question? (i'm not trying to be mean)

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
I just want to be a good guitarist and from what I have heard I need to practice chords and learn music theory. I want to know where I can learn this.
Quote by Tiki Rock
I have an electric guitar and play with it almost every day, except I just look up tabs. I am a beginner and feel that looking up tabs won't help me very much. I have the problem of hitting wrong notes in a riff (off by one fret). Can someone give me advice or practice routines to help me become more acquainted with the fretboard?

looking up tabs is fine to get you started, and will help you if you are trying to learn some popular riffs or songs.

The best advice I can give to someone that is just starting is to find a teacher and take lessons for awhile. That guidance can make a big difference in your long time success. Keep in mind that getting good at the guitar takes time.

as far is hitting wrong notes...... simple solution: PRACTICE!!!!
it takes time and EVERYONE has that problem when they 1st start. You just have to practice and be patient.
shred is gaudy music
A good start:
The Beginning

If you have access/money to/for a guitar teacher, by all means get one. A teacher will help you sooo much more than online lessons. Everything i know i learned here on UG or a couple other sites.

Ask as many questions as you have. Everyone was a beginner at some point so don't feel intimidated (that's why i wouldn't ask very many questions on here).

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
A good start:
The Beginning

If you have access/money to/for a guitar teacher, by all means get one. A teacher will help you sooo much more than online lessons. Everything i know i learned here on UG or a couple other sites.

Ask as many questions as you have. Everyone was a beginner at some point so don't feel intimidated (that's why i wouldn't ask very many questions on here).

+1

Remember that we are all growing. No man was born to be 6 ft. tall right away when he was just an infant. Like a seed, you begin from there, and you gather what you must eat for you to consistently grow. It takes time, but as you focus and let some one guide you, you will, eventually, arrive at your destination.

Enjoy the ride, no need to rush things, and be on the look out for all the opportunities for you to grow.

Carpe diem,
Jose Daniel
Positive and negative emotions cannot occupy the mind at the same time. One or the other must dominate. It is your responsibility to make sure that positive emotions constitute the dominating influence of your mind. - Napoleon Hill