I have an Agile AL-3000 (Lp clone) and when I first got it (3 weeks ago or so) the action was a bit low (I think it was the action atleast) for there was some fret buzz on the 14th and 15th fret of the A and D strings. Anyways I raised the action by raising the bridge. I think I probably raised it too much because (it might just be in my head) it doesnt play as nicely as when I first got it.

So my question isnt really about raising the action its more of what do the things on the bridge do? (where the strings sit on)

circled in red. What exactly do they do? could adjusting the ones for the a and d strings have solved my problem rather than raising the bridge?
they set the intonation

and no, they don't affect the action at all
Quote by Natrone
I'm a pretty hardcore Christian. I would like to sincerely apologize that you ran into that little fucktard

Quote by mystique facade
dale-banez made a fool of himself..lol

my gear:

oh wait, no one cares
Last edited by dale-banez at Jun 8, 2008,
maybe your nut isnt right...but it sounds like your truss rod needs adjusting too.
people with large sig's are clearly compensating for something.
my buddy has a peavey and asked me the same question today
and they are called saddles. If you can adjust them individually then do that until all of your strings have next to /no buzz and you have suitable action. maybe even a truss rod adjustment is in order
Quote by Grown
Go ahead and tighten ur truss rod 1 revolution.

No. This makes no sense in the context of what he wants to do, and is not a good suggestion.

TS: The individual string screws set the intonation. The intonation basically refers to the idea that each string needs to be a specific length to properly produce the right pitch at each specific fret. If you play the harmonic at the 12th fret of any string and then play the fretted note at the 12th fret of the same strings, they should be exactly in tune with one another. If they're not, these individual screws will allow you to correct this.

The screws on the bridge adjust the action, that's it.
is it necessary to untune/unwind the strings before adjusting the saddles?

Im not even going to touch my truss rod
Quote by bboyjon
is it necessary to untune/unwind the strings before adjusting the saddles?

Im not even going to touch my truss rod

No, you're going to want the strings on the guitar and tuned to pitch before you work with the intonation.

And yes, like I said you don't need to touch the truss rod. You also wouldn't really ever turn it "1 revolution" - turning the truss rod a full revolution would leave you with a fantastically broken guitar.
Quote by PopPunkPotHead
my buddy has a peavey and asked me the same question today
and they are called saddles. If you can adjust them individually then do that until all of your strings have next to /no buzz and you have suitable action. maybe even a truss rod adjustment is in order

Those aren't saddles. That's a Tune-O-Matic style bridge. Those adjust your intonation. Proper intonation means you are in tune all across the fret board. If your open E string is at perfect pitch, but it's a bit hsarp at the 12th fret, your intonation is off.

Action is adjusted using the two studs on the bridge; loosen/remove your strings and adjust them by hand. Make small changes, equal on both sides.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
do I have to check innotation by ear or is there anyway I can use a tuner for it?
Use a tuner. Play the open E string, make sure it's in perfect tune, then fret the 12th fret of the E string. If it's in perfect tune, your intonation is perfect. If it's flat, move the saddle towards the neck (shorten the string). If it's sharp, move the saddle towards the stopbar.

This won't fix your buzzing. Buzzing van be caused by the truss rod, the action, or the nut. For now, try raising the action until the buzz stops.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
sweet thanks a lot. Bought some new strings today and Ill get it working
Quote by philipp122
Those aren't saddles. That's a Tune-O-Matic style bridge. Those adjust your intonation. Proper intonation means you are in tune all across the fret board. If your open E string is at perfect pitch, but it's a bit hsarp at the 12th fret, your intonation is off.

Action is adjusted using the two studs on the bridge; loosen/remove your strings and adjust them by hand. Make small changes, equal on both sides.

They are saddles
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com