tell me all you know about active pickups, please.

im considering of getting a guitar that comes with the EMG-81 and EMG-85 pickups.

i need info on stuff like, what kind of batteries they use, how long they last, how do you change them, are they good for styles other than metal, etc...
They use 9v batteries and depending on how long you play guitar per day, they can last up to 4-6months, usually theres a little cut away they provide for the battery and you just pop them in and out, they can get mad decent sounds for other stuff, but they are alot brighter than most pups... Hope this helps
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I suggest you select the least popular of the woman-creatures, and fart directly in her face.
some use 18v bateries
only good for high gain metal or post-Waters Pink Floyd (which is rather bad)
u could put emgs on a broomstick and they would sound like they were on a LP. Butb They Are Great at what they do which is metal.
not all guitars have the easy po out cavity, some require u to un screw them
9v batteries, I think one EMG lasts about 3000 hours (so two will last 1500 hrs) of being PLUGGED IN, so if you are playing without an amp you won't use up batteries (I know this is obvious but one of my friends told me not to get a guitar with EMG's because they eat up a battery every few weeks lol)

I find I actually like EMG's all around the board. I can work clean tones out of them, anyone who says you can't is just an idiot. You may not get THE BEST cleans, but they can be good.

WARNING: Because active pups have such high output, they WILL (and I mean WILL) accent every single flaw in your playing. As soon as you touch a string, you'll hear it. Active pups require a lot of precision, but I find once you play them for awhile you adjust and you end up a much cleaner guitarist. Just my .02
Quote by PopPunkPotHead
u could put emgs on a broomstick and they would sound like they were on a LP. Butb They Are Great at what they do which is metal.

he tells no lies
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.